Author Topic: Possible Largest Native American Serpent Mound 'discovered'  (Read 3125 times)

Offline captrandom

• Probationary (Probie)
Possible Largest Native American Serpent Mound 'discovered'
« on: August 04, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110731/NEWS01/110801008/Mariemont-serpent-mound-discovered?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

MARIEMONT – To the untrained eye, there’s nothing special about the earthen hump that runs for hundreds of feet alongside picturesque Miami Bluff Drive and curves down along the edge of the woods toward the Mariemont Swimming Pool.

I only c/p the first line of the article because of copyright lawsuit weirdness..  However, its a neat read if your interested in anthropology..        I live about 10 minutes from here so this is really exciting for me! I grew up thinking that was kind of an odd 'hill'... :)

One summer me and some friend used to go to the river and go on arrowhead hunts. It was a great summer, and great memories...:)
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Possible Largest Native American Serpent Mound 'discovered'
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 03:07:53 PM »
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110731/NEWS01/110801008/Mariemont-serpent-mound-discovered?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

MARIEMONT – To the untrained eye, there’s nothing special about the earthen hump that runs for hundreds of feet alongside picturesque Miami Bluff Drive and curves down along the edge of the woods toward the Mariemont Swimming Pool.

I only c/p the first line of the article because of copyright lawsuit weirdness..  However, its a neat read if your interested in anthropology..        I live about 10 minutes from here so this is really exciting for me! I grew up thinking that was kind of an odd 'hill'... :)

One summer me and some friend used to go to the river and go on arrowhead hunts. It was a great summer, and great memories...:)

Double WOW, what a find, must be allot of artifacts buried there just from the workers loosing bits of ornaments or the water jugs they must have carried.

Amazing what the past will show to a future they could never dream of.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 06:25:04 PM »
Double WOW, what a find, must be allot of artifacts buried there just from the workers loosing bits of ornaments or the water jugs they must have carried.

Amazing what the past will show to a future they could never dream of.

I don't think so.  At other serpent mounds they have found very few artifacts.  They didn't carry plastic water bottles and littler the country side when they were empty. :)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:36:22 AM »
I don't think so.  At other serpent mounds they have found very few artifacts.  They didn't carry plastic water bottles and littler the country side when they were empty. :)

Dear Thundley,

For hundreds of years this is what we thought of the builders of the Pyramids in Egypt.   We had no idea how or who built the darn things and could only guess at the reasons for them, some believe they were tombs but as the Vally of the Kings came about, now the Grand Pyramid with no Hieroglyphics's and all the strange doors that lead no where, we began to look further afield and have found the sites we believe the workers lived at to eat and sleep, during the construction.

My question is was the Grand Pyramid built first and the others an attempt to copy it????

The Serpent Mound itself may not hold any finds, it is the area that the builders lived in that will tell the story.

True the builders did not carry plastic water jugs but they may have carted clay pots filled with water to the site, or even have dug a well close enough to the site to perhaps supply temporary home sites for the workers.

I laugh at the idea that the woman built the mound, they may have gone to the sites to cook and nurse their baby's, till and plant a few acres of food, but who would be left to construct new garments for the family, to care for the ill ??? Who would be left to weave  and make baskets and all the goodies the men needed.

Don't forget that the woman by no fault of their own had to take 5 or more days out of each month to go to the woman's site away from the men, Men were in great fear of a woman's ability to bleed each month and not die.  A bleeding, pregnant woman, or one nursing a child is not good for construction work back then.

Slave labor is a possibility as the Tribes raided each other on a regular basis, Captives of young strong men and boys seems the most likely.

I believe if we are to find any secrets of the mound itself, we need to ask ourselves where would be a likely place to have had the builders live in that time.    Climate at that time and the religious superstitions of the where the North, South, East and West were located, need to be considered.

Anything that is man made that long ago, and even today was not built by whim, there are reasons for every thing constructed,      Check out the small towns that still have buildings that were constructed in the WPA period, if one looks closely one will find some odd things that are signs the Masons were involved in the construction.

In order to understand the mystery's of the past we must throw away any and all consideration of a thousand years of our own civilization and try to put ourselves in the mind set of those that lived in a time as Alien to us as if they came from another world, as indeed they did.   BUT, they had the same human needs we have today, food water and shelter.  Spiritual needs as great as they that built the Grand Catheralds of Europe 900 years ago.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
My question is was the Grand Pyramid built first and the others an attempt to copy it????

The Serpent Mound itself may not hold any finds, it is the area that the builders lived in that will tell the story.

1. My understanding is the Giza area was they (the builders) "perfected" pyramids. That is, you can look at older (dated) pyramids and see that they hadn't quite gotten the "math" right. The lines of the older pyramids will be bent, not straight.

2. The serpent style mounds (there are a few in the US) typically do not have (or have very scant) evidence as to who built them or why.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 07:20:53 AM »
1. My understanding is the Giza area was they (the builders) "perfected" pyramids. That is, you can look at older (dated) pyramids and see that they hadn't quite gotten the "math" right. The lines of the older pyramids will be bent, not straight.

2. The serpent style mounds (there are a few in the US) typically do not have (or have very scant) evidence as to who built them or why.

Wine, how do we really know what came first the chicken or the egg? 

What could have possibly possessed humans to build pyramid structures around the world including intire contents that surposidaly had no

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 07:56:54 AM »
Whoops got cut off.

Civilizations that had absolutely no contact with others?????

Why the sudden interest in building mounds, pyramids all come to humans at a time frame of 500-600 years even 1000 years apart from those that were isolated.

Why do past civilizations go from the thousands into the dark of history????

And what the fork is with China and the Terra Gotta Army where even the horses are displayed in full battle dress???    What the crap was that all about ????

Has to be a reason for people at that time to build at the cost of thousand lives these mysteries we look at with the view of modern day society.      We will never understand until we shed our religion, our morals and try to think like the people did in the past.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 02:07:57 PM »
What could have possibly possessed humans to build pyramid structures around the world including intire contents that surposidaly had no

Again, my understanding is the "discovery" and use of higher math. Seems to be a "logical" next step in an advanced civilization.

Wine, how do we really know what came first the chicken or the egg? 

Radiocarbon dating. Plus the type of material that they were built with.

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.