Author Topic: Xbox playing, basement dwelling dies- To DUmb to figure out the doorknob  (Read 436 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1614163

Playinghardball (834 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Jul-30-11 03:22 PM
Original message
Xbox addict ‘dies from blood clot’

Source: Raw Story
By Agence France-Presse

Tags: deep vein thrombosis, long haul flights, science fiction worldsThe family of a budding computer programmer have on Saturday launched a campaign to raise awareness about the health risks of playing online computer games after their son died following a marathon session on his Xbox.

A post-mortem revealed that 20-year-old Chris Staniforth -- who was offered a place to study Game Design at Leicester University -- was killed by a pulmonary embolism, which can occur if someone sits in the same position for several hours.

Deep vein thrombosis normally affects passengers on long-haul flights, but medical experts fear youngsters who spend hours glued to their consoles might also be at risk and have urged them to take regular breaks.

Professor Brian Colvin -- an expert on blood-related conditions -- said it was "unhealthy" for youngsters to spend long periods in front of their consoles.

More at: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/07/30/xbox-addict-dies-... /

As much as I hate to do it, but it's gotta be said. What's his DU name?

begin_within (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Jul-30-11 03:24 PM
Response to Original message
1. But he had 2 more lives in his reserve cache!

The very first reply proves that they can relate to it.

AndyTiedye Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Jul-30-11 03:29 PM
2. Sitting Still is Bad For You

sarcasmo (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Jul-30-11 03:30 PM
3. Sedentary the silent killer.

Oh the irony.

Ohio Joe Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Jul-30-11 03:36 PM
6. BAN VIDEO GAMES!

Because nothing else in the history of mankind has caused people to sit for a few hours at a time.

The stupid ****ing hurts sometimes and that is perhaps the stupidest article I've ever read. I think it made my heart rate low.

Er!. Some DUmmies have in excess of 100,000, and close to 200,000 posts. I wonder how the got that many?

Codeine Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Jul-30-11 03:37 PM
7. Who sits still when they game?

I bounce around like a crack-addled gibbon.

I wonder if you chose that screen name for a reason.

Drale Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Jul-30-11 03:54 PM
Response to Reply #7
11. I do as well

I bounce around, yell at the TV and so on and so on. :rofl: This happens all the time in South Korea, where the national sport is Star Craft at least once a month I hear about people falling over dead after playing for 48 to 72 hours straight.

They're no threat to take over America. They only go outside to riot. Then back in the dark with their new 42" TV.

KittyWampus Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Jul-30-11 03:45 PM
9. I believe that's what happened to Kephra.

Dead DUmmy.

socialshockwave (227 posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Jul-30-11 05:14 PM
22. I consider myself a lazy bastard...   Updated at 11:49 PM

but I still get out and exercise, or try to - 3 times per day.

I get up and walk around, too.

It's a sad tale but one we should all heed. Young or old.

Shandris (820 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Jul-30-11 05:47 PM
28. My roommates brother died of this at the age of 40.

His wife awoke to find him laying at the floor by the computer, simply...dead. It's hard, really, to notice how long you've been sitting still. Case in point -- between Netflix and my forums, I've been online for 9 hours today. I've gotten up 3 times. 4, as soon as I'm done with this post.

Hey Skimmer. Don't ever shut down the island. It provides a needed service to decent folk. When you tombstone someone, you really tombstone someone.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline captrandom

• Probationary (Probie)
Hey Skimmer. Don't ever shut down the island. It provides a needed service to decent folk. When you tombstone someone, you really tombstone someone.

:rotf:
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
I'd like to know what this kid was eating while playing.  I've been around gamers who play Halo for hours on end, drinking a 12 pack of Mountain Dew, eating pizza, popcorn, chips, etc.  It's disgusting. 

Personally, I cannot play a game more than an hour.  It gets boring and my mind starts to wander.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
I'd like to know what this kid was eating while playing.  I've been around gamers who play Halo for hours on end, drinking a 12 pack of Mountain Dew, eating pizza, popcorn, chips, etc.  It's disgusting. 

I don't want to say the guy in this article was doing any of that but it's sure not uncommon. Disgusting is just the word for.

Ohio Joe Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Jul-30-11 03:36 PM
6. BAN VIDEO GAMES!

Yah....Or not. Some us like them and aren't like the guy in the article.