Author Topic: Mushroom & Swiss Chicken with Cranberry Spinach Salad  (Read 5073 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Mushroom & Swiss Chicken with Cranberry Spinach Salad
« on: April 21, 2008, 10:18:04 PM »
I made a delicious dinner tonight.  My kids ate every bite, even the salad. I doubled the mushrooms and sauteed them before adding them to the chicken.  I also added more cheese.  I served it with  rice and bread.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mushroom-and-Swiss-Chicken/Detail.aspx   

Mushroom and Swiss Chicken
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes   Ready In: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings

"Cajun seasoning and garlic add lots of zest to chicken baked with Swiss cheese and mushrooms."

INGREDIENTS:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 cloves crushed garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Cajun-style seasoning
1 cup chopped green onion
1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
4 slices Swiss cheese

DIRECTIONS:
1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.   Combine oil and garlic in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Add chicken breasts and coat well with the oil and garlic. Sprinkle with the vinegar and Cajun seasoning.
3.   Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
**4.   Remove chicken from oven and cover with green onion and mushrooms; then add a few more sprinkles of oil and vinegar and return dish to oven for 15 to 20 minutes more. Remove from oven and immediately place 1 slice of cheese on top of each chicken breast; cheese will melt. Serve immediately.

**I added the cheese after I put on the green onion and mushrooms and baked it as well.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/PrintFourBySix.aspx?RecipeID=14469&servings=8

Jamie's Cranberry Spinach Salad   

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes   Ready In: 20 Minutes
**Yields: 8 servings

"Spinach, toasted almonds and bits of dried cranberries are tossed together in a bowl and dressed with a sweet and tangy vinegar and oil dressing full of sesame and poppy seeds."

INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
1 pound spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size
pieces
1 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons minced onion
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS:
1.   In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook and stir almonds in butter until lightly
    toasted. Remove from heat, and let cool.
2.   In a large bowl, combine the spinach with the toasted almonds and cranberries.
3.   In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, onion, paprika, white wine vinegar, cider vinegar, and vegetable oil. Toss with spinach just before serving.

**I cut this recipe in 1/2 for my family but made the full amount of salad dressing to use at another time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:20:23 PM by BEG »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Mushroom & Swiss Chicken with Cranberry Spinach Salad
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:22:25 PM »
And I am supposed to believe you cook?

Just kidding, it sounds delicious!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:25:12 PM »

I know it's hard to believe something this beautiful can actually do something besides stand and look at herself in the mirror all day.   :tongue:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 11:58:16 PM »

I know it's hard to believe something this beautiful can actually do something besides stand and look at herself in the mirror all day.   :tongue:

Or be stared at.

I haven't done any real cooking in quite some time.  God only knows when I will again.

Maybe I need to start getting engagements in places where the cooks are.  And having good old-fashioned home cooked food like this.

Something to think about...

:)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Flame

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 06:31:10 AM »
That sounds pretty good, BEG...gonna have to get some 'shrooms and try it!

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 08:45:32 AM »
It sounds so....so....ambitious. 

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 09:20:58 AM »
Sounds yummy!

But no cool whip?? You're slippin' :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 09:42:28 AM »
Sounds yummy!

But no cool whip?? You're slippin' :-)

He hehehehe..... :p

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 09:43:04 AM »

Or be stared at.

I haven't done any real cooking in quite some time.  God only knows when I will again.

Maybe I need to start getting engagements in places where the cooks are.  And having good old-fashioned home cooked food like this.

Something to think about...

:)

Come to Dallas and I will make it for you.  ;)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 09:43:27 AM »

What is so ambitious about it?

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 09:49:25 AM »

It takes more energy than I have today.  As much as I enjoy cooking, right now beans & franks are about all I can muster.

It wasn't a dig at you.  It sounds wonderful. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 09:55:46 AM »

It takes more energy than I have today.  As much as I enjoy cooking, right now beans & franks are about all I can muster.

It really didn't take too much effort.  I wasn't feeling all that well yesterday either, I had a headache and felt really odd, like I was coming down from a huge caffeine high. I still managed to get it done but I don't know how bad you feel so I wont push you.   :-*

I think there is something going around by the way, I thought it was a hangover saturday and into sunday but several of my friends have also gotten sick in the last few days.  It lasts about 48 hours.  Diarrhea, vomiting, dizzy, in general a bad hangover feeling.  As I laid in bed all day saturday I thought to myself, no way I drank enough to make me feel this bad.  Now I think I had what my friends have/had.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 10:15:04 AM »

It really didn't take too much effort.  I wasn't feeling all that well yesterday either, I had a headache and felt really odd, like I was coming down from a huge caffeine high. I still managed to get it done but I don't know how bad you feel so I wont push you.   :-*

I think there is something going around by the way, I thought it was a hangover saturday and into sunday but several of my friends have also gotten sick in the last few days.  It lasts about 48 hours.  Diarrhea, vomiting, dizzy, in general a bad hangover feeling.  As I laid in bed all day saturday I thought to myself, no way I drank enough to make me feel this bad.  Now I think I had what my friends have/had.

I generally stay healthy because I do not go out in public much.  You can't catch a germ if you're not where they are to be caught.  That's not why I don't go out much.  That's just one of the side effects.

Then....

I spent all day Saturday going from one garage sale to the next in my daughter's little hamlet.  There were hundreds of garages open for business.  They do this as a community twice a year.  It was a lot of fun and we found some great stuff.  I had some great BBQ too. 

But, alas, I subjected myself to other humans.  No telling what I brought home I could not see.