Author Topic: Writing  (Read 6949 times)

Offline Hawk

• Just Off Probation
Writing
« on: June 25, 2011, 12:43:30 PM »
Last year one of my priorities was to write my autobiography. Here is a link for any who are interested. I have since published it on nook and kindle, but this is the free version.

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=25149.0

Offline unbiased

Re: Writing
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »
You are a good writer and story teller..............but! There is always a but, huh.

I am calling BS on a 30 minute fight. I know it may have seemed like 30 minutes, but I guarantee you that you all weren't fighting for 30 minutes.

I have wrestled for over 30yrs. I have trained and fought MMA. I currently do Judo. I have been in several "real" fights and witnessed many more. I have never seen a "real" fight last longer than 5 minutes, MAX! Most are over in less than 3 minutes. Most fighters are not in shape and then you add in the adrenaline dump that ALWAYS occurs once you find yourself in a fight, and it doesn't have a chance of lasting very long.

I am not going to call you a liar, because like I said, I am sure it felt like 30 minutes. But, from one writer to another, I would drop the time limit in that sentence or qualify it as "what felt or seemed like 30 minutes." Otherwise people are not going to believe it.

Anyway, keep on writing. You do have some good talent!!
Once you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
You are a good writer and story teller..............but! There is always a but, huh.

.....from one writer to another, I would drop the time limit in that sentence or qualify it as "what felt or seemed like 30 minutes." Otherwise people are not going to believe it.

Agreed.

And even if it's true, and truth is oftentimes stranger than fiction, one has be credible.

"It seemed" would make it credible.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Hawk

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »

I am calling BS on a 30 minute fight. I know it may have seemed like 30 minutes, but I guarantee you that you all weren't fighting for 30 minutes.

I have wrestled for over 30yrs. I have trained and fought MMA. I currently do Judo. I have been in several "real" fights and witnessed many more. I have never seen a "real" fight last longer than 5 minutes, MAX! Most are over in less than 3 minutes. Most fighters are not in shape and then you add in the adrenaline dump that ALWAYS occurs once you find yourself in a fight, and it doesn't have a chance of lasting very long.

I am not going to call you a liar, because like I said, I am sure it felt like 30 minutes. But, from one writer to another, I would drop the time limit in that sentence or qualify it as "what felt or seemed like 30 minutes." Otherwise people are not going to believe it.

I'm glad you are reading and enjoying them. Yes, it was a very long time ago and it may not have been that long, but remember we were in rock hard shape from walking through some of the most inhospitable terrain possible while swinging machetes nearly all day. Also, we were young (sigh). So very young.  :)

Offline Hawk

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 10:53:57 AM »
Agreed.

And even if it's true, and truth is oftentimes stranger than fiction, one has be credible.

"It seemed" would make it credible.

Thank you.

Offline Bodadh

• Not in the mood!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 02:02:53 PM »
There are still alligators. Alligators are not cool. They are a prehistoric eating machine who can kill you as quickly with one end as the other. Imagine getting bitten by one and the instant need for 90 stitches from a single swipe of those large teeth filled with rotting meat. Say you can actually get away from one after this, and remember they can outrun you on dry land and in water you are just a toy.

Then imagine the weeks you will spend fighting off infection. Bad infections. Add in the physical recovery and top it off with the mental anguish.
The tail can break your legs with just one swipe. No, I am not talking about those poor baby gators you see some 300 pound guy 'wrestling'. I am talking the 10 - 14 foot variety found in the real world. Several hundred pounds of hungry.

So one day the field sup told me I had to swim a canal and it was obvious there were about 15 gators out there. I looked at him like he had lost his mind. He wasn't kidding. He told me if I swam slowly and didn't make a lot of noise they would just move out of my way.

DUDE! Don't do that no more! :o
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »
I am talking the 10 - 14 foot variety found in the real world. Several hundred pounds of hungry.

Awww.. It's a cute lil baby.

I've seen crocodiles in the wild that were 17+ feet in length. Longer than the boat I was in.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:44:50 PM »
I've been trying my bit at writing an auto bio too...this was intended for my neice...

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/BioC.html

...haven't spell checked what I have, and maybe I'll finish it before I die.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Hawk

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:38:25 PM »
DUDE! Don't do that no more! :o

Not a chance in hell.

Offline Hawk

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 10:39:22 PM »
Awww.. It's a cute lil baby.

I've seen crocodiles in the wild that were 17+ feet in length. Longer than the boat I was in.

I wasn't in a boat, I was swimming with them.

Offline Hawk

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
I've been trying my bit at writing an auto bio too...this was intended for my neice...

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/BioC.html

...haven't spell checked what I have, and maybe I'll finish it before I die.

I just approached it as telling stories, if that helps.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 02:29:00 AM »
speaking of writing, where has HNC been?

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 09:47:13 AM »
I just approached it as telling stories, if that helps.
I'm trying to be as accurate as possible. That's what I think an autobiography should be about. Whenever I have an "Oh yes. Now I remember..." moment, I try to add a couple of sentences. That's why I keep it in a first-person narrative instead of a third-person story.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Hawk

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 05:29:30 PM »
I'm trying to be as accurate as possible. That's what I think an autobiography should be about. Whenever I have an "Oh yes. Now I remember..." moment, I try to add a couple of sentences. That's why I keep it in a first-person narrative instead of a third-person story.

Yeah, understood, I tried to be as accurate as a prescription addled mind and years would allow. Pretty spot on for the most part.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »

Judo National Matches are five minutes in length. Most Judoka train at maximum intensity for that duration of a match. And, that five minutes seems like an eternity. Anything less than the Nationals are 3 minutes in length.

One bar fight I was in (in Orlando, Fla.) seemed like an hour, but everything was happening in slow motion. I'm pretty sure the entire brawl didn't last a full five minutes.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline unbiased

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 09:57:20 PM »
Judo National Matches are five minutes in length. Most Judoka train at maximum intensity for that duration of a match. And, that five minutes seems like an eternity. Anything less than the Nationals are 3 minutes in length.

One bar fight I was in (in Orlando, Fla.) seemed like an hour, but everything was happening in slow motion. I'm pretty sure the entire brawl didn't last a full five minutes.

I agree. We randori for 10-15 minutes twice a week and it seems like forever. Trust me, after about 3-5 minutes we are all gassing. That is what my instructor wants because he says that is when you have nothing but technique. But, my tai otosi becomes "tired" otoshi at that point. lol.
Once you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy.