Author Topic: Packers to Retire Favre's Jersey in Home Opener  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Packers to Retire Favre's Jersey in Home Opener
« on: April 19, 2008, 05:47:28 PM »
well, that took exactly no time at all. 

and I am such a homer. :whatever:

Packers to Retire Favre's Jersey in Home Opener

The Green Bay Packers set a date for retiring Number Four.

Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy says the team will retire quarterback Brett Favre's jersey on Monday, September 8.

It's the team's regular season opener, the home opener, and is also a nationally-televised game against the Minnesota Vikings. The ceremony will be held at halftime.

"Opening day, it's a big stage, and given the popularity of Brett it was important. There are so many Packers, we have so many Packers fans across the country, for them to be able to see the ceremony was important."

Murphy said the decision was made in a discussion with Favre, general manager Ted Thompson, coach Mike McCarthy, and himself.

"The season-opening game is always an exciting event, and now we're very pleased to add the retirement of Brett's Number for that evening," Murphy said.

"It will make for an electric atmosphere at Lambeau Field, as well as a great opportunity for our fans around the country to share in it while watching the game on the national broadcast."

The Packers say details of the ceremony are still being worked out and will be announced later.

Kick-off for the game is 6 P.M. It's the first game of a Monday night double-header.

Fans like the choice.

"It's going to be a great game. It's going to be ecstatic. You couldn't ask for a better time to do it. A lot of people will be wanting to go to the game," Mark Kuehn reacted.

"That's the best. That's the night to retire it on, the Monday night game against the Vikings, our hated foes," Bill Kuehn said.

Quickly the September 8th game became the hottest ticket in Titletown.

"The people that have called are very excited. We had a lot of people that have been waiting for this, so I would say our phones are going to continue to increase throughout the next couple of days," Emilie Wrobleski, senior sales associate at Packer Fan Tours, said.

And fans already have ideas how the Packers should honor the last Number Four.

"I think they should bring back any players that have played with him that aren't on the team any more so they can have a chance to say whatever they want and thank him for all the years and the great job he's done," Rachel Hall suggested.

Aaron Rodgers will have to wait one more game to escape Favre's considerable shadow.

"I think there's going to be a lot of tears in people's eyes, but (Favre) couldn't have had a better year to go out on. It's going to be awesome. I can't wait to watch," Wendy Heisel said.

"He played his heart out every time. He always seemed to have fun on the field. I remembered he'd throw touchdown passes and pick up snowballs and throw it," Michael Obrock recalled.

linky