Author Topic: an overlooked 400th anniversary  (Read 2050 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
an overlooked 400th anniversary
« on: June 02, 2011, 03:53:47 PM »
This year marks the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible, and I'm not seeing a whole lot about it.  It is after all an important anniversary, not only religiously but culturally.  After all, the English we use today is based in the English of that one single book--no matter how much the God-haters, the bigots, the intolerants, the closed-minds, the primitives, wish to think otherwise.

Being a Roman Catholic, of course my own Bible is that used by that church, but I've always had a fondness for the King James Bible, any edition prior to 1927, because it (the original 1611 version) was used extensively in speech therapy I underwent as a junior and senior in college.

Another book used was the Anglican Book of Common Prayer, the 1542 edition.

I underwent speech therapy in a secular institution, and I don't recall any of the therapists as being "Bible-thumpers" or "fundies" as the primitives are wont to call decent and civilized people--these things were used as tools simply because Tudor English (1485-1603) is eminently suitable for speech therapy; the language blunt and straightforward, every single word carefully chosen.

There was this very illuminating thread on freerepublic some weeks ago, about translations of the Bible into the vernacular before 1611, and the King James Bible itself; it's well worth reading for those interested in the history of the Bible.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/2713088/posts
apres moi, le deluge