Author Topic: Zebras---are they not horses???  (Read 1214 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Zebras---are they not horses???
« on: May 28, 2011, 01:23:50 PM »
Big question I have had for forever.

We ride horses, mules and donkeys,  Rain Deer, Camels, some ride elephants , so why do people not ride  Zebras, any one have any ideas??????

Offline FlippyDoo

• Oh NO!!!!! It's a rebel windmill!!!!
Re: Zebras---are they not horses???
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 05:23:57 PM »
No one's been able to find a saddle that didn't clash with their stripes. Fashion might not be everything, but it is important.
Fictional spirit-guiding by appointment.
conservativecave.com & conservativeunderground.com

For new members and lurkers: I am a fictional spirit-guide with no smell whatsoever. I am part irish setter and part pigeon. If you don't smell any strange smells it means I'm probably standing next to you. As I am a fictional character anything I post should possibly be considered fictional.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 06:11:01 AM »
No one's been able to find a saddle that didn't clash with their stripes. Fashion might not be everything, but it is important.

Oh yes the saddle, ----- I was taught to ride bare back or with just a saddle blanket tied under the horse.  It was a few years before I had to learn to use a saddle only because the old nag I rode had a backbone that was  killer on my sensitive body parts.

My poor mother had fits as before saddle riding I would "Borrow" her Kotex and pad the heck out of myself-----I was about 8 years old at the time.  When she found out where her pads were being used for, she marched down to the stables and threatened everyone to never let me on a horse with out a Saddle again. She had no idea I was riding bare back and one would have thought I was sky diving or worse. :-) :-) :-) :-) 

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 09:01:04 AM »
Zebras are small and fiesty. Quite a lot of them around here. Foals are sweet, but even the 'tame' ones are unpredictable.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline longview

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 09:02:29 AM »
Zebras are equids, similar to horses.  Some have been trained for riding.  I think the reason it doesn't happen more frequently is because they are wild.  They aren't domesticated in the least.

Sort of like a bobcat or lynx is just a large cat, why don't more of us have them as house pets or in our barns as mousers.  Some people do have bobcats, but they are not domesticated.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
Zebras are equids, similar to horses.  Some have been trained for riding.  I think the reason it doesn't happen more frequently is because they are wild.  They aren't domesticated in the least.

Sort of like a bobcat or lynx is just a large cat, why don't more of us have them as house pets or in our barns as mousers.  Some people do have bobcats, but they are not domesticated.

Horses that are wild are captured and trained.    Neighbor in Tenn. took in wild horses rounded up by the states in the south west.  Wild running horses, even wild camels were sent to farms free of charge, only problem was the specifications on height and kind of fence, amount of acreage, watering points and shelter were a big money zapper.

I just happend to be visiting their farm/ranch when one wild stallion was brought in, this horse was all mussel, almost looked starving, not an ounce of fat on him.  Probably the most magnificent horse I have ever seen.     Totally wild, coat gleamed, terrified of people, and one nasty horse to mess with.

So strange, when turned loose in the field with the gelding ride on horses the tame horses looked like blimps beside him.     Big fat over fed and no way as healthy as he.

About 9 months later the neighbors wife road up on that stallion with complete control. Not something I would advise as 15 miles away a mare goes into heat and the stallion goes crazy.

So now I got to thinking that if female Zebras were raised about either geldings or mares, would they not emulate their actions, would they not come to think they were in fact horses ????

Is it possible to find a mare that lost a foal and give her a new born Zebra, will she let it feed ??? Will the new born follow the direction's of and training of it's mother???   

Genetics vrs upbringing, if one follows this path for 5-6 or so generations can the Zebras now be tamed???