Author Topic: A couple of questions for the gardeners out there . . .  (Read 13899 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: A couple of questions for the gardeners out there . . .
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2011, 09:16:39 AM »
Just planted cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts and lettuce.  Hopefully the winter will be nicer to my garden.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2011, 05:45:26 PM »
I talked to one of the other "Gang of 3" today, and he said that he's going to try to put in winter ryegrass in the whole plot, after we get the farmer who turned it over in the first place to plow all of it under.  Problem with that is this:  It's 75 degrees today, and we still have some growing yet.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2011, 08:20:44 AM »
Just saw this thread for the first time...  :thatsright:

What a fun read to see how y'all did with your gardening!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2011, 07:15:44 AM »
My wife roasted some of the Russett Banana potatoes last night, and I had some after I got back from my AA meeting.  They were pretty good.

ETA:  Deb, where did you think I put my excess energy this year? :???: :tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2011, 01:09:15 PM »
Where I am, Memorial Day is regarded as the start of the gardening season.  But, I've got a few window boxes that I'm growing things in, for quick-grab stuff for dinner.  Anyway, I was noticing the spacing between the broccoli plants in one window box, and the spacing between the spinach plants in another window box, and I thought, That's a lot of space!  Could I put something else there?  My first thought was radishes.  Any opinions on this, or anything else (tomato plants, pepper plants, green beans, etc.) I could put in between the spinach and broccoli plants?

And, where I am, we have cutworms.  A few nailed three of my cousin's tomato plants the night after he planted them.  He remembered a tip that our grandmother had used to deal with cutworms--wrap the stems of the fledgling tomato plants in wax paper and tape the wax paper together.  Make sure that the paper is in the soil about 1/2".  Cutworms won't touch the stems that are in the wax paper.  When the plant gets big enough, its' growth will break the wax paper.  Anyonw else try/do this?

Hmmm... Have you looked into using a control predator?

Try these folks~

http://www.buglogical.com/

and order some of these~

Your cutworms will realize that bringing a knife to a gunfight was not a good idea.

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »
Last harvest yesterday. I put up 3 pints of horseradish and it is HOT!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2011, 04:25:54 AM »
We're already talkiing about when we'd like to plow up the land next spring.  Both Rich and I realize that we need to be a lot earlier than we were last year.  We'd like to get one of those 9' high deer fences (and finally put the well in), and we realize that we need to get the pastor behind us if we want to pull that one off.  That shouldn't be too much of problem.

Chase her.