Author Topic: Yeti and Moeller Ice Chests  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Yeti and Moeller Ice Chests
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:32:36 AM »
Are they worth the extra money over something like an Igloo or Coleman? They are supposedly scent proof and have a longer ice life.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline CG6468

Re: Yeti and Moeller Ice Chests
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 02:24:33 PM »
Sorry. I never heard of either of them.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 12:40:47 PM »
Are they worth the extra money over something like an Igloo or Coleman? They are supposedly scent proof and have a longer ice life.

What do you mean by scent proof, speaking of wild animals that may smell food in a hunters camp or the Nark dogs that can smell out drugs in a deep freezer ?

Going hunting, get a line and pulley and haul all food up 20+ feet off the ground.   Not in camp but a good  away from camp.

Ice, haul in in a little red waggon as much as it will hold, dig a pit 4-6 feet deep and fill with as much hay or straw you can find.  Ice should last up to a week or so, this is how we did it to keep ice on hand in the summer in the early 1900's.

Say Pilgrim, get your ducks in a row, learn to use a trenching tool to poop in the woods and learn the old ways.------Going after deer, a week ahead of time get out there and piss on the trees, the deer will come for the area as they need the salt.

Deer stands piss me off, this is not true hunting it is to my mind a cowards way to bring down pray.  There the hunters stand with a cooler full of beer, food and all the comforts of home.   Along comes a deer and they shot it.

The Hunters on the ground that track the deer, learn to read the signs and know were the deer are going and how to keep down wind or them are for my money the real hunters------

Hell Odin' at my age in a deer stand I can bag a deer, bear or your uncle Jo, this is not hunting to my mind this is assignation.

Mind you I am not saying you do the same, you may be a real hunter, but we have so many folks that do this and crow about what they bagged from up in the tree tops, pisses me off.

I send deepest apologies if I have offended you, not meant to but hunting's season is one its way and I feel all should be fare as if an animal is hunted and killed it should be eaten not discarded as garbage.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:35:01 PM »
Vesta, I have learned to live of the land since I was young. The scent proofing is beneficially used not only to keep the insects and animals away from the chest, but to keep the smells out, a la old fish, out of areas like my truck's cab.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »
Scent proofing also keeps the cooler from absorbing the smells of that which is inside it. For example I have a bait cooler that is fairly fragrant at the best of times.

With any cooler, I've gotta inspect them first hand - It goes by insulation thickness and construction methods.

The fibreglass foam sandwich (like EvaKool ) ones are awesome but expensive, they keep cold even in 100F. The extruded plastic ones (like IceKool )  don't keep quite as well but are IMO just as good and are much more economical. They bear up to more punishment as well.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:27:37 AM »
I had a Coleman cooler that was fairly well insulated. It said that it would keep the ice for seven days. I forget what happened to that cooler. I suppose that's one of the things the ex sold off, gave away or threw away after I was sent packing.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 01:05:43 PM »

Yes, there's absolutely no comparison; at least as far as quality, construction, durability, and insulation capabilities.  There's a reason these are used on expeditions, industrial settings, yachting, etc.  Heck, the Yeti's are even certified against bears by the US Forestry Service!

Now, if you can justify and are willing to spend $300-600 versus $30-60 is another matter.

FWIW, the only places I've ever seen them advertised at is in sales flyers from industrial distributors.  I've never seen them deeply discounted, maybe $50 if that.  If you find a place with good deals on Yeti's, please let me know.