Author Topic: Overnight Oatmeal  (Read 7961 times)

Offline Miss Mia

Overnight Oatmeal
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:21:33 PM »
1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried figs, cut to bite sized pieces
4 cups water
1/2 cup half & half

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and set to low heat.  Cover and cook 8-9 hours.

Stir before eating.

I got this from my sister-in-law tonight and I'm making it right now.  She said it makes about a weeks worth (for 1 person) and holds well in the fridge, just add a little water and microwave to heat up. 

Steel cut oats are going to be at a fancy grocery store, Whole Foods or Sprouts.  :)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Overnight Oatmeal
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 10:25:14 PM »
I have a similar recipe that makes one large serving.

1 cup milk
1 cup oatmeal
1 packet of sugar
1 single-serving container of fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt.

Stir the milk and oatmeal together in a bowl and soak overnight in the refrigerator.  To serve, add the sugar and yogurt.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 10:40:25 PM »
1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried figs, cut to bite sized pieces
4 cups water
1/2 cup half & half

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and set to low heat.  Cover and cook 8-9 hours.

Stir before eating.

I got this from my sister-in-law tonight and I'm making it right now.  She said it makes about a weeks worth (for 1 person) and holds well in the fridge, just add a little water and microwave to heat up. 

Steel cut oats are going to be at a fancy grocery store, Whole Foods or Sprouts.  :)

Oh, that sounds good!  :)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 10:47:44 PM »
I have a similar recipe that makes one large serving.

1 cup milk
1 cup oatmeal
1 packet of sugar
1 single-serving container of fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt.

Stir the milk and oatmeal together in a bowl and soak overnight in the refrigerator.  To serve, add the sugar and yogurt.

Steel cut oats or regular rolled oats?
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 10:51:39 PM »
Regular oats.  I have no idea what steel-cut oats are and they sound expensive.  :p

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »
Regular oats.  I have no idea what steel-cut oats are and they sound expensive.  :p

They're like almost the whole oat.  I don't think they're that expensive, just that you'd find them at Whole Foods versus the regular grocery store.
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 12:00:51 PM »

They're like almost the whole oat.  I don't think they're that expensive, just that you'd find them at Whole Foods versus the regular grocery store.

There's no Whole Foods down here, so I'll need to find another option, because I REALLY want to try that recipe over Spring Break.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 12:02:37 PM »
Or something you feed to Bender.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 04:26:30 PM »
Or something you feed to Bender.

"Bite my shiny metal ass!"

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 05:08:26 PM »

There's no Whole Foods down here, so I'll need to find another option, because I REALLY want to try that recipe over Spring Break.

Trader Joe's, Central Market, Sprouts any of those places would carry it I'd think.
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 07:58:50 PM »

Savannah doesn't have any of those, either.   :bawl:
Trader Joe's, Central Market, Sprouts any of those places would carry it I'd think.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 08:21:49 PM »
ACC, ahh here we go.

Quaker Oats makes them!  http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourProducts/quakerOats/product.cfm?productid=4

Get your grocery store to stock them, you have that sway right?  ;)
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 08:33:15 PM »
ACC, ahh here we go.

Quaker Oats makes them!  http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourProducts/quakerOats/product.cfm?productid=4

LOL, I'll be going there Friday for my paycheck, so I'll ask.  ;)

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 08:37:27 PM »
ACC, ahh here we go.

I'm going to see if my grocery store carries them and if not, I'm going to ask.  That would be a whole lot easier than having to go to the fancy stores.  LOL.

Oh and I googled "crock pot oatmeal, steel" and there are a bunch of recipes out there.  Mostly just changing up the dried fruit (I think apricot would be good) and maybe adding some cinnamon or honey.  I'm going to experiment.  I know this is a whole lot better for me than the instant oatmeal I've been eating.
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 08:43:25 PM »
ACC, ahh here we go.

I'm going to see if my grocery store carries them and if not, I'm going to ask.  That would be a whole lot easier than having to go to the fancy stores.  LOL.

Oh and I googled "crock pot oatmeal, steel" and there are a bunch of recipes out there.  Mostly just changing up the dried fruit (I think apricot would be good) and maybe adding some cinnamon or honey.  I'm going to experiment.  I know this is a whole lot better for me than the instant oatmeal I've been eating.

Those cranberries just sound REALLY good to me, so I'll stick to the recipe, if I am able to do it at all (gotta see what my work schedule will be).

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 08:05:12 PM »
I am setting this up tonight.  FINALLY managed to get a bag of steel cut oats.

I am making it with raisins, cranberries and walnuts with a bit of maple extract.

I'll post on how it goes tomorrow.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 06:19:28 PM »
YUMMM!

I want to try a varient with steel cut oats, a pinch of salt, coarse ground pepper and fresh side pork chunks.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 07:33:01 PM »
you should be able to find steel cut oats in just about any grocery store. I buy them all the time.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 08:47:47 PM »
you should be able to find steel cut oats in just about any grocery store. I buy them all the time.

I found them at my local Kroger. :)

I picked up some dried apricots so I'm going to try that.  There's a ton of crock pot oatmeal recipes online. 
Stink Eye

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 10:04:44 PM »
Mmmm...sounds yummy!!!! I worship my crockpot. Tee hee!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 01:13:41 PM »
Okay, I made this again last night but used dried apricots instead of figs.  I think next time, I'm going to cut back on the amount of fruit in it.  I might try mango.   :-)
Stink Eye