Author Topic: 2nd option repair install XP/7  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
2nd option repair install XP/7
« on: April 28, 2011, 01:01:32 PM »
I have a dual boot xp pro - 7 ultimate on my gaming machine. (The one Im using now) I recently had to install a diff mobo as the last one bit the dust. Its a little different. Same manufacturer but a diff processor and memory ... and board.

Anyways I was able to do a second option repair install with the XP to get it all back to normal again without losing anything. Just had to install all the new drivers as it is a diff model mobo.

Ive never attempted this with Win 7. I know the R console is totally different though you still have a command console. And their is no 2nd opt repair install option per se, that Im aware of. So how would I go about it?

When opt to boot into 7 from the dual boot menu ... what ... how do I go about fixing this so that I dont lose anything? Is it possible? Has anyone here tried it? Im confident with Win XP because Ive done it so many times before ... but Ive never tried it with 7.

Any ideas? ( I could Google but I thought I'd try here first)
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: 2nd option repair install XP/7
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »
You shouldn't have to "repair" W7. Just boot into it and it SHOULD find all of the necessary drivers. If any are missing, you can reach out on the web, grab a copy & install them. You MAY need to reactivate it because the mac address of the mobo will have changed.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 05:40:34 PM »
Mmm.. well, that was easy. License is still intact too.

Thanx. :)
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 06:38:38 PM »
Mmm.. well, that was easy. License is still intact too.

Thanx. :)

No problem!! :-)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson