Author Topic: Greek Chicken  (Read 14253 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Greek Chicken
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:08:26 AM »
In light of prices going up, I find myself purchasing more whole chickens.  I don't really care for chicken and that presents a bit of an issue.  I like it grilled, so I thought, what the heck.  We butchered a whole chicken, and then I marinaded it for a little less than 8 hours.  The recipe said 8 hours or overnight, and I think next time I will marinate for longer. 

Marinade:

1/2 cup olive oil
juice of 2 lemons (I used three)
2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme (mine isn't ready to cut yet, so I added a little more of the above)
3 chopped cloves garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Marinate for a long time and grill. 

It wasn't bad, I will make it again.  I served it with grilled summer squash packets, yellow squash and zucchini chopped, with tomato, olive oil, lemon juice and feta cheese wrapped in tin foil.  And The Pioneer Woman's Crash Hot Potatoes. 

R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Greek Chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:17:55 AM »
I made a quick & easy version of chicken cacciatore last night.

Season chicken (whatever normal parts you care to use, like things, breasts, legs, etc) with salt, pepper, garlic & italian seasoning blend.
Bake in oven until skin is crispy golden brown.
In a separate deep covered pan, like a dutch oven. mix spaghetti sauce, capers, mushrooms,& black olives (and doctor up the spaghetti sauce)
and one can plain tomato sauce
place chicken pieces in sauce
cook for an hour or more at low temp (300°)
serve over spaghetti noodles.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:19:30 AM »
The lemon juice's acid is what "cooks" the meat, so for those special times when you don't have the time to marinade that long (overnight is a LONG TIME to marinade chicken, a relatively light meat), you could use apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar and shorten the marinade time considerably -- maybe no more than an hour.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:23:38 AM »
The lemon juice's acid is what "cooks" the meat, so for those special times when you don't have the time to marinade that long (overnight is a LONG TIME to marinade chicken, a relatively light meat), you could use apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar and shorten the marinade time considerably -- maybe no more than an hour.

I know, I just really don't like chicken all that much.  The more it tastes of lemon, the better I like it.   :-)  Overnight would probably be over kill though.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »
I know, I just really don't like chicken all that much.  The more it tastes of lemon, the better I like it.   :-)  Overnight would probably be over kill though.

I'd be lost without chicken, especially on this diet.

I have to hold my nose to eat fish (I do, but Mrs E has to hold a gun to my head), so the other low-fat meat is chicken.

I don't do lamb or some of those exotic meats.

But I gotta have a meat of some type. Homey don't do just veggies......
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »
I'd be lost without chicken, especially on this diet.

I have to hold my nose to eat fish (I do, but Mrs E has to hold a gun to my head), so the other low-fat meat is chicken.

I don't do lamb or some of those exotic meats.

But I gotta have a meat of some type. Homey don't do just veggies......

I prefer Beef, after that Pork.  I will eat fish before chicken.  But, I am also obstinate, and until I get a moo cow in my back yard, I better like chicken.  It looks like that is all I can afford at the moment.

Offline Karin

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »
grilled summer squash packets, yellow squash and zucchini chopped, with tomato, olive oil, lemon juice and feta cheese wrapped in tin foil.  And The Pioneer Woman's Crash Hot Potatoes. 

The vegetables sound really, really good.  What are those potatoes? 

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »
The vegetables sound really, really good.  What are those potatoes? 

Here's the link.  You will find something else you need to cook too.  I am sure.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/crash-hot-potatoes/

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
Here's the link.  You will find something else you need to cook too.  I am sure.

I've made similar, only I cut them into wedges and roast. I don't boil them beforehand, either. They're good made in the oven and even better made on the grill. I also sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Karin

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 03:29:50 PM »
Thanks for that link, they look awesome! 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »

I made these potatoes with the Santa Maria Tri-tip last night, only I used chives, and topped with a few bacon bits and parmesan cheese.

Oh. My. GAWD.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 10:06:18 AM »
I made these potatoes with the Santa Maria Tri-tip last night, only I used chives, and topped with a few bacon bits and parmesan cheese.

Oh. My. GAWD.

I KNOW!   :cheersmate: