Author Topic: Here comes the food shock!  (Read 14636 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Here comes the food shock!
« on: April 10, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »
I got an email earlier this week, and just confirmed it with a neighbor who works in a local supermarket.  It said that almost all of the farms in Mexico that provide a whole bunch of the produce that companies like Birdseye and the like convert into frozen food . . . had anywhere from 95% to 100% crop loss this winter.  What does that mean?  Vegetable prices are about to skyrocket.  Not only that, but what will be available is going to be of far lesser quality. :o :o :o

Said neighbor said that they got a letter which said exactly what I typed above, a few weeks ago.  She also said that this would last two growing seasons--through the summer, that is.  Couple this with Obumbler issuing regs through the EPA that raises the ethanol percentage allowed in gasoline from 10% to 15%, and this is going to be a tough year for food prices.  I just planted, in pots, tomato seeds and pepper seeds today.  I don't want to pay for plants in a few weeks, when the prices are going to be up there. :argh:

Stock up now, if you haven't already.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Here comes the food shock!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 05:09:36 PM »
Yup.  That is why I started a garden this year.  And, if you haven't already done so, stock up on your cotton goods, sheets, towels, t-shirts, etc.  China suffered some serious storms affecting their cotton crops and the prices are already going up.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 05:13:49 PM »
I saw this first on WUWT some weeks ago.

On a semi-related topic -

I'm waiting to see what effects the epic flooding in this country recently will have on a few crops.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 05:21:31 PM »
Yup.  That is why I started a garden this year.  And, if you haven't already done so, stock up on your cotton goods, sheets, towels, t-shirts, etc.  China suffered some serious storms affecting their cotton crops and the prices are already going up.

In addition to the stuff I'm going to be planting all over the patio, my wife and I are one of the original seven couples that are going to be starting our church's Parish Community Garden.  We had the first organizational meeting this past Thursday.  Each of the original seven couples was guaranteed a plot (20'x15', at least) in the garden.  We know that as soon as the first dirt is disked, we're going to be having people come out of the woodwork who want to get in on it.  Also, I'm in on a Community Sponsored Agriculture share where I work.  Hopefully, that'll provide enough produce for the three of us--and a few others that I want to help.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »
"Vegetables" you say?  I seem to remember hearing of some such thing, as a child, but that was so long ago...
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 07:15:48 PM »
CSA's aren't prevalent here, so there are year waiting lists.  Total suck, because I would love to join one.  It would give me a great opportunity to test out my canning and preserving for a good price.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 11:32:29 PM »
I've been looking for the right type of planters to use for our own little garden.  It sucks renting because you don't have a lot of space.  Our patio faces east and we get sunlight on it almost all day.  Unfortunately, our triple digit heats are right around the corner.  I really don't think tomatoes can hold up.  But any peppers I plant should be fine... I would think anyway.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 04:23:42 AM »
"Vegetables" you say?  I seem to remember hearing of some such thing, as a child, but that was so long ago...

I didn't want to offend anyone's sensibilities by saying "v*****s," ya know? :tongue:

Chase her.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »
I didn't want to offend anyone's sensibilities by saying "v*****s," ya know? :tongue:

You should also say 'vegetables' because it looks really bad if you're trying to plant vagina's.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 11:25:46 AM »
You should also say 'vegetables' because it looks really bad if you're trying to plant vagina's.

Ploughing and seeding them, on the other hand...

:naughty:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »

That's just about all I've been subsisting on since mid-January.  :whatever:

My lard ass isn't so lard-y as a result. But yeah, I just don't see myself paying $4.60 for a freakin' eggplant.

Oh, DAT? Just so's ya know -- there ain't no "egg" in them there eggplants.

:-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 12:39:50 PM »

WTF!!!???!!!  It's a conspiracy, I tells ya!

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 12:42:52 PM »
That's just about all I've been subsisting on since mid-January.  :whatever:

My lard ass isn't so lard-y as a result. But yeah, I just don't see myself paying $4.60 for a freakin' eggplant.

Just like there is no spaghetti in spaghetti squash.  Not even close.   :-)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 03:09:28 PM »
Just like there is no spaghetti in spaghetti squash.  Not even close.   :-)

Oh :bs:  As an avid veggie and especially SQUASH hater, that's one of the few veggies that I will eat. It's close, if prepared properly.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »
Oh :bs:  As an avid veggie and especially SQUASH hater, that's one of the few veggies that I will eat. It's close, if prepared properly.

I love vegetables, especially squash, and really don't care at all for spaghetti squash at all.  I won't buy it in a store, I wouldn't order it in a restaraunt, but if I was at someone's house, and they served it to me I would eat it.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »
I love vegetables, especially squash, and really don't care at all for spaghetti squash at all.  I won't buy it in a store, I wouldn't order it in a restaraunt, but if I was at someone's house, and they served it to me I would eat it.

Not me. Mrs E made that shit and I told her NFW was I gonna eat that.

I wanna eat a damned plant that looks like worms? I don't think so...... :bolt:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 03:16:11 PM »

I absolutely LOVE spaghetti. However, having diabetes, it's really a bad idea for me to be consuming any type of pasta. I've found spaghetti squash as a viable alternative to pasta. The first couple of times I tried to prepare it, I failed. It sucked. Now that I have it down pat, it's OK. Not a GREAT replacement for pasta, but acceptable. I've also had zucchini used in place of lasagna noodles. The zucchini has a lot of water in it, so, one needs to compensate for that.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »
Not me. Mrs E made that shit and I told her NFW was I gonna eat that.

I wanna eat a damned plant that looks like worms? I don't think so...... :bolt:

I meant, if I was a dinner guest.  I was raised with really good manners.   O-)

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »

I absolutely LOVE spaghetti. However, having diabetes, it's really a bad idea for me to be consuming any type of pasta. I've found spaghetti squash as a viable alternative to pasta. The first couple of times I tried to prepare it, I failed. It sucked. Now that I have it down pat, it's OK. Not a GREAT replacement for pasta, but acceptable. I've also had zucchini used in place of lasagna noodles. The zucchini has a lot of water in it, so, one needs to compensate for that.

I know that it can be good, and it is super good for you, but I have tried it several times, and there is just something off-putting about it.  I don't know what it is.  Have you ever used eggplant instead of lasagna noodles?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
I know that it can be good, and it is super good for you, but I have tried it several times, and there is just something off-putting about it.  I don't know what it is.  Have you ever used eggplant instead of lasagna noodles?

No, I don't care for eggplant except when it is battered & fried w/ a little sugar sprinkled on it after it's fried. It's a tad bitter for my tastes.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 06:53:07 PM »
No, I don't care for eggplant except when it is battered & fried w/ a little sugar sprinkled on it after it's fried. It's a tad bitter for my tastes.

See that is why I like it and not spaghetti squash.  Sweet things I don't like so much.  If I make butternut or acorn squash, I have to tone down the sweetness with sage or nutmeg. 

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 11:34:07 PM »
See that is why I like it and not spaghetti squash.  Sweet things I don't like so much.  If I make butternut or acorn squash, I have to tone down the sweetness with sage or nutmeg. 

I don't consider spaghetti squash "sweet". The only way my grandma could get me to eat eggplant (which she almost always fried) was to sprinkle a little sugar on it. I wouldn't eat squash (except pumpkins) until the last decade or so.

And then there's rutabagas, beets and turnips........ :puke:

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 06:15:29 AM »
I don't consider spaghetti squash "sweet". The only way my grandma could get me to eat eggplant (which she almost always fried) was to sprinkle a little sugar on it. I wouldn't eat squash (except pumpkins) until the last decade or so.

And then there's rutabagas, beets and turnips........ :puke:

My dehydrator has been going 24/7 now for a month and I have put up a good 25 pounds of vegetables that are on the discount rack at the grocery store, this is the weight after dehydrating and one pound of dehydrated food weighs in at 3-4 ounces.   

I found that when ham steaks go in sale, when dehydrated, placed in the blender with garlic and some crushed red pepper and turned into almost a flour like consistency it becomes just like the small packages of ham seasoning one gets in a bag of dried beans from the store at a double the price of just a bag on plain beans.

I am now experimenting with greens, lettuce leaves, cabbage, soon the collard greens, spinach, beet greens etc to see how they turn out.

Tomatoes are the best and easiest thing to dry, I just slice them up fill 2 trays on the then chop up onions for the 3 tray and bell peppers on the forth tray when all trays are dry I bag them all together for use as I would stewed tomatoes.  I do add spices to the bag, garlic powder onion salt etc.

It is really surprising the cut down on shelf space when those cans of stuff have been dried down to a 3 oz. sandwitch zip lock bag.

My next project tomorrow is to dry cooked hamburger and prepare it as I did with the ham. Directions for this is to fry up the hamberger, pour off the fat or strain off the fat place in a covered container with enough water to cover and place in the refrigerator until any left over fat comes to the surface.  remove the fat season and then dry.

I would love to know if there is anyway one can dehydrate BEER.           

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »
The tomatoes I started from seeds (a week ago), along with the pepper seeds I started, still haven't sprouted yet.  I bought a "container" cherry tomato plant yesterday at Home Depot, along with some spinach and broccoli seeds, and just planted some of the spinach in the window box I also bought.  Everything's out on the patio today, as we get a fair amount of sun on the patio in the afternoon.

We found out, for the parish community garden, that there's some sort of cable running through there.  Don't know which--high-speed internet, electric, some sort of gas line--we don't know what.  One of the original 7 is making calls this week.  We hope to have the field disked sometime soon, once we figure out whose it is and how deep it is.

Chase her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 01:19:58 PM »
Does your state/city have an information line?  We're required by law to call 811 and tell them of any digging that is planned.  They will come out to your place and mark all electrical/communications/gas lines at no charge.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.