Author Topic: Challah at ya boy  (Read 19818 times)

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Challah at ya boy
« on: March 28, 2011, 09:56:50 PM »
Since my anti-depressants have the normal effect of supercharging my insomnia, I decided to bake bread from scratch for the first time since high school.  And if it works, I'll make some for Shabbat on Friday. Since the recipe makes two loads I'm doing one with poppy seeds and one without.

Mmm... Tasty, tasty challah...

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/challah-i/Detail.aspx

2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/2 cup honey
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 tablespoon salt
8 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon poppy seeds (optional)
Directions

In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over barely warm water. Beat in honey, oil, 2 eggs, and salt. Add the flour one cup at a time, beating after each addition, graduating to kneading with hands as dough thickens. Knead until smooth and elastic and no longer sticky, adding flour as needed. Cover with a damp clean cloth and let rise for 1 1/2 hours or until dough has doubled in bulk.
Punch down the risen dough and turn out onto floured board. Divide in half and knead each half for five minutes or so, adding flour as needed to keep from getting sticky. Divide each half into thirds and roll into long snake about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Pinch the ends of the three snakes together firmly and braid from middle. Either leave as braid or form into a round braided loaf by bringing ends together, curving braid into a circle, pinch ends together. Grease two baking trays and place finished braid or round on each. Cover with towel and let rise about one hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Beat the remaining egg and brush a generous amount over each braid. Sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 40 minutes. Bread should have a nice hollow sound when thumped on the bottom. Cool on a rack for at least one hour before slicing.]

Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Challah at ya boy
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:05:21 PM »
I can't remember if I've ever had challah.  There weren't a lot of Jews in my neighborhood growing up and only the neighbors across the street from my aunt's home were Hebrew. 

Bread is basically flour, yeast, and salt (if you're using that all-purpose stuff)... everything else is flavor.  I don't normally add eggs to my bread, but they're mostly protein.  Some recipes use sugar, some do not.  Honey is a simple sugar and would work quite well in a bread recipe.  Then there's the whole decorative weaving thing.

:yum:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:43:57 PM »
Hey Mike...let me know how this recipe works out.

I love challah! It also makes the best french toast.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 10:58:43 PM »
Will do Deb! I'll have to try the French toast. That sounds good.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:26:25 PM »
It's alive! Or at least growing. Gotta love yeast.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:19:46 AM »
In the oven. Keeping my fingers crossed...

I do need to work on my braiding though.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:24:11 AM by Mike220 »

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 01:08:12 AM »
Things turned out really good. I did find out two things.  One, I need to butter the foil I bake on.  Two, cook it about 5 minutes longer than the directions state.  It's still slightly doughy in the middle, but that may be due to the fact I made the strands a little thicker than called for.

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:37:25 AM »
Looks great!
Shabbat Shalom.
Nunquam Honorandum Nisi Merito
 Transgender American Veterans

Offline debk

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 09:55:58 AM »
Looks beeee-u-ti-ful!!

Be careful buttering the foil, not to use to much, so that the bottom doesn't brown too much.

Can also dust with cornmeal to keep it from sticking.

Spent a summer in college at a private camp for extremely wealthy little Jewish girls. (gave a whole new meaning to "JAP". ) Camp was Kosher, and every Friday night we had the Challah, then on Saturday morning we had French toast, with the leftover Challah. Incredibly good food, plus they had a real French pastry chef doing all the desserts.  :drool:

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 10:45:44 AM »
Buttering the foil isn't a great idea, because it tends to burn. Using Pam works pretty well.

I'm impressed, though. Haven't baked bread in many years but would like to make up a batch of really vicious cinnamon rolls sometime soon.

And I couldn't do a braid if my life depended on it.  :cheersmate:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »
MP Sarge, Euph and Deb, toda raba.

I'll try the corn meal idea next time.

And Eupher, I'm not that good at braiding. But then again I was a Coastie, not a Squid. They got a lot of practice at it so they could look good for their Marine dates... :fuelfire:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 01:14:50 PM »
Oh that looks awesome! does the honey give it a very sweet taste?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »
Oh that looks awesome! does the honey give it a very sweet taste?

Not really. You can taste the honey, buts it's really no sweeter than using regular sugar.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 11:52:27 PM »
That looks delicious. I love challah.
I wonder if a baking stone would give better results? I agree on the cornmeal idea.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
MP Sarge, Euph and Deb, toda raba.

I'll try the corn meal idea next time.

And Eupher, I'm not that good at braiding. But then again I was a Coastie, not a Squid. They got a lot of practice at it so they could look good for their Marine dates... :fuelfire:

Yeah, that's why they restrict you Coaties to the shallow waters.  :bird: Knot tying is BASIC SEAmanship. (For the record, I can back splice line, make a monkey's fist and tie various other knots. And I was an "Airedale"!!)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 11:59:03 AM »
Yeah, that's why they restrict you Coaties to the shallow waters.  :bird: Knot tying is BASIC SEAmanship. (For the record, I can back splice line, make a monkey's fist and tie various other knots. And I was an "Airedale"!!)

Well, yeah, but can you tie a bowline? So you can hang off the side of the ship, chipping paint?

Ain't that what Airedales do?

:fuelfire:   :tongue:   :whistling:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 02:18:21 PM »
Well, yeah, but can you tie a bowline? So you can hang off the side of the ship, chipping paint?

Ain't that what Airedales do?

:fuelfire:   :tongue:   :whistling:

Ummm, NO, ya clueless Dogface!!  :bird:  :hammer: :hammer: We do corrosion control on aircraft!!

And, YES, I CAN tie a bowline. (I learned that in the Scouts)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Ummm, NO, ya clueless Dogface!!  :bird:  :hammer: :hammer: We do corrosion control on aircraft!!

And, YES, I CAN tie a bowline. (I learned that in the Scouts)

By "ship" I meant "big-assed boat", not the aircraft, ya clueless Squid!!  :bird:  :hammer: :hammer:

:rotf:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 02:43:42 PM »
By "ship" I meant "big-assed boat", not the aircraft, ya clueless Squid!!  :bird:  :hammer: :hammer:

Ummm, remember, I was an Aviation type?? Unless we were actually "Ship's Company", we never chipped paint. Instead, we did corrosion control on our aircraft. (which is a lot more difficult in itself) But, it's easy to confuse you Army Doggies.......  :fuelfire: :tongue: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 02:46:13 PM »
Ummm, remember, I was an Aviation type?? Unless we were actually "Ship's Company", we never chipped paint. Instead, we did corrosion control on our aircraft. (which is a lot more difficult in itself) But, it's easy to confuse you Army Doggies.......  :fuelfire: :tongue: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Oh, I get it. You guys were speshull:tongue:

Left the paint chippin' to those who were "Ship's Company" (which is a euphemism for "Three's Company" since there's one Marine for every two squids). Right?

:lmao: :rotf:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 03:15:22 PM »
Oh, I get it. You guys were speshull:tongue:

Left the paint chippin' to those who were "Ship's Company" (which is a euphemism for "Three's Company" since there's one Marine for every two squids). Right?

:lmao: :rotf:

At least we didn't sleep with other guys in "pup tents"........  :fuelfire: :bird:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 03:43:29 PM »
At least we didn't sleep with other guys in "pup tents"........  :fuelfire: :bird:

Wrong answer, enamel-breath.   :stoner:

They are called "shelter halves".   :-)

But what would a Squid know about that? He's too busy "controlling corrosion" which is just a polite way of saying "chipping paint".

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 04:35:12 PM »
Wrong answer, enamel-breath.   :stoner:

They are called "shelter halves".   :-)

Semantics.......