Author Topic: About speaking in tongues...  (Read 16068 times)

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
About speaking in tongues...
« on: April 13, 2008, 07:31:03 AM »
I'm interested in reading opinions on the practice of speaking in tongues. Is the practice of speaking in tongues actual evidence of humans communing with God or is it just mumbo jumbo?
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
Re: About speaking in tongues...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 02:29:16 PM »
I'm interested in reading opinions on the practice of speaking in tongues. Is the practice of speaking in tongues actual evidence of humans communing with God or is it just mumbo jumbo?

Speaking in tongues if considered a gift from God and must be verified by another person. It is not mumbo jumbo, like all gifts given to man by God it is real.

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 04:18:32 PM »

Speaking in tongues if considered a gift from God and must be verified by another person. It is not mumbo jumbo, like all gifts given to man by God it is real.

Excuse my ignorance, but... how does one go about verifying the act of speaking in tongues?
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »

Excuse my ignorance, but... how does one go about verifying the act of speaking in tongues?
Peer review?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Gwitness

• Leave that thing alone.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:44:38 PM »
What purpose would it serve?....The disciples were given the gift upon the great commission..in order to speak the language of the people  they were sent to by God.....frankly I reject  this as a  "spiritual gift"...unless that person in actually speaking a language [unknown to them] that is being used by the people that are are witnessing to.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 10:44:33 AM »
Color me cynical but I can't help but view this thread suspiciously as yet another attempt demonstrate a wedge between religion--with particular emphasis on Christianity--and *ahem* science.

Yet the Christian role in science is more firmly established than global warming or whether or not eggs are good for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thinkers_in_science

As concerns "speaking in tongues"?

bleh

Benny Hinn gives me the runs.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 11:01:34 AM »
I, personally, don't go for the speaking in tongues.  I've heard it happen once.  And it sounded like this.  "nanananananana".

So let's question your religion.  Why is it latest studies show that the ocean water is not getting warmer?
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88520025

I chose a liberal, pro Global Warming point of view.  They try to spin it, but really can't.  Maybe it's 20% Global Warming and the other 80% is staying the same.  Maybe there haven't been enough carbon credits (offerings) purchased to appease hot spaghetti monster.  Care to explain?
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline CBUSMS

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »
I'll go with mumbo jumbo.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 11:56:19 AM »

I think that some of it is......however, before proceeding, one must consider WHO initiated this thread, and as this sorry excuse for an individual would like nothing better than to start a discussion that in some manner trivialized Christianity, or organized religion in general, one should couch ones comments with this in mind.

That said, and with the caveat that I'm no biblical scholar, I believe that the Catholic church has a long history of documenting cases where individuals, seemingly possessed by the Holy Spirit, or something more ominous, have been witnessed speaking in languages that it has been thoroughly documented that the person has never been exposed to in any manner......"dead" languages such as Aramaic, Latin, and ancient Greek.

Certainly "food for thought"....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 11:58:41 AM »

I think that some of it is......however, before proceeding, one must consider WHO initiated this thread, and as this sorry excuse for an individual would like nothing better than to start a discussion that in some manner trivialized Christianity, or organized religion in general, one should couch ones comments with this in mind.

That said, and with the caveat that I'm no biblical scholar, I believe that the Catholic church has a long history of documenting cases where individuals, seemingly possessed by the Holy Spirit, or something more ominous, have been witnessed speaking in languages that it has been thoroughly documented that the person has never been exposed to in any manner......"dead" languages such as Aramaic, Latin, and ancient Greek.

Certainly "food for thought"....

doc

The Holy Spirit can give you the ability to do anything it sees fit.  I just don't go for the guy standing next to me going nananananana, then asking for your checkbook.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 12:11:09 PM »
^When I was but a wee lad, I once dated a girl that was a member of a "Holiness" church, and one Sunday, she invited me to attend with her.  My parents had mentioned from time to time these churches, and referred to them as "Holy Rollers", and until that Sunday, I had no idea what that expression referred to.  Needless to say, I learned.....and during that service there was some "speaking in tongues" allegedly going on....however, since I was intentionally seated in the back of the congregation, I can't confirm or deny what was happening......no one, however, asked for my checkbook....

doc

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 12:16:42 PM »
Color me cynical but I can't help but view this thread suspiciously as yet another attempt demonstrate a wedge between religion--with particular emphasis on Christianity--and *ahem* science.

Yet the Christian role in science is more firmly established than global warming or whether or not eggs are good for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thinkers_in_science

I'm not the type of person who considers science and faith to be in conflict. Nor am I the type of person who considers believers to be less informed or less intelligent than nonbelievers. That some scientists rely on faith to explain that which science cannot explain does not bother me in the least.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 12:23:37 PM »
That some scientists rely on faith to explain that which science cannot explain does not bother me in the least.

This is manifestly evident in your posting history........

doc

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 12:27:23 PM »
^When I was but a wee lad, I once dated a girl that was a member of a "Holiness" church, and one Sunday, she invited me to attend with her.  My parents had mentioned from time to time these churches, and referred to them as "Holy Rollers", and until that Sunday, I had no idea what that expression referred to.  Needless to say, I learned.....and during that service there was some "speaking in tongues" allegedly going on....however, since I was intentionally seated in the back of the congregation, I can't confirm or deny what was happening......no one, however, asked for my checkbook....

doc
A company I used to work with was owned by 2, I consider, scammers who did financial advising by command of the Lord.  If you aren't wealthy, it's because of your lack of faith.  Jesus was a wealthy busines man, and everything is about money.  One of the owner's brother was the pastor of a "non-denominational" church that splintered off from a Church of God.  You had to attend that church to be part of the clique.  I never stepped foot in that church, because I'm a Freewill Baptist.  Every other church's pator was leading his congregation to hell.  This church was a silent partner in the business and have a televised service every Sunday down here.  You'll see the patsor preach a few minutes, then an infomercial on how to invest your money.  That was my experiance with tongue talkers.  I know they are the exception, but that is what comes to mind when I hear of people talking in tongues.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »
I, personally, don't go for the speaking in tongues.  I've heard it happen once.  And it sounded like this.  "nanananananana".

When I was a person of faith (Catholic), I once attended a revival and got to hear people speaking in tongues during it. The vocalization sounded like jibberish to me and I felt that I could probably mimic it if I practiced it for a while. Then things got interesting. Once I decided that what was going on around me was absurd, I came to the realization that the kind of loud and public worship I was witnessing at the revival was not intrinsically different from the quiet kind of worship I had grown up with and engaged in on Sundays. To this day I consider that revival to have been the first time I realized that I was on a journey away from religion and toward agnosticism.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 12:42:18 PM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 12:47:05 PM »
A company I used to work with was owned by 2, I consider, scammers who did financial advising by command of the Lord.  If you aren't wealthy, it's because of your lack of faith.  Jesus was a wealthy busines man, and everything is about money.  One of the owner's brother was the pastor of a "non-denominational" church that splintered off from a Church of God.  You had to attend that church to be part of the clique.  I never stepped foot in that church, because I'm a Freewill Baptist.  Every other church's pator was leading his congregation to hell.  This church was a silent partner in the business and have a televised service every Sunday down here.  You'll see the patsor preach a few minutes, then an infomercial on how to invest your money.  That was my experiance with tongue talkers.  I know they are the exception, but that is what comes to mind when I hear of people talking in tongues.

I vaguely remember television preachers in the 1980s talking about how Jesus Christ had a big house and wore designer clothes.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 10:31:40 PM »
I've seen the real thing.

But I've also seen the opposite.

The former is rare.

*Red*

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 10:34:14 AM »

The former is rare.

*Red*

So, how does one tell the difference between real speaking in tongues and fake speaking in tongues?
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 10:47:43 AM »

The former is rare.

*Red*

So, how does one tell the difference between real speaking in tongues and fake speaking in tongues?

One is real and one is fake.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »
Speaking In Tongues is considered to be the lowest of God's gifts.

Anyone know what is the highest?

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 06:10:11 PM »
One is real and one is fake.

Nonanswer answers don't cut it here. Try again.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 06:19:27 PM »

When I was a person of faith (Catholic), I once attended a revival and got to hear people speaking in tongues during it. The vocalization sounded like jibberish to me and I felt that I could probably mimic it if I practiced it for a while. Then things got interesting. Once I decided that what was going on around me was absurd, I came to the realization that the kind of loud and public worship I was witnessing at the revival was not intrinsically different from the quiet kind of worship I had grown up with and engaged in on Sundays. To this day I consider that revival to have been the first time I realized that I was on a journey away from religion and toward agnosticism.

so, if you had had a cold or something that day, you would still be a christian?

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 09:51:58 PM »
so, if you had had a cold or something that day, you would still be a christian?

No. What I wrote is that the revival made me aware that I was on a journey away from religion, not that it put me on that journey.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 09:56:12 PM »

No. What I wrote is that the revival made me aware that I was on a journey away from religion, not that it put me on that journey.

you miss the point, as you do frequently. :whatever:

if you had never started the journey, it would have  never happened, right?

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 10:14:31 PM »
you miss the point, as you do frequently. :whatever:

if you had never started the journey, it would have  never happened, right?

Right. And?
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas