Author Topic: Taco Bell quesadilla sauce  (Read 12620 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Taco Bell quesadilla sauce
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »
I made some of this last night and mixed it with cut-up chicken pieces, onions, and peppers served with rice.  It's pretty close to the real thing.  If you're feeling particularly lazy, Wal Mart sells diced peppers and onions in the frozen vegetable section.  The store here had 12 oz. bags for 89 cents.   I like Goya's Spanish-style yellow rice (Arroz Amarillo)... it comes already mixed with dried spices and vegetables (onion, celery, peppers, and corriander). 

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 dash salt

2 teaspoons minced jalapenos, slices
2 teaspoons jalapeno juice, from minced jalepenos
3/4 teaspoon sugar

This makes one serving.  The recipe calls for diced jalapenos and sugar, but I did not like the sweetness the sugar added and you could leave the jalapenos out as well if you prefer something milder.  I was out of jalapenos and ended up using some chipotle peppers I had in the freezer.

Food.com
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:57:50 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Taco Bell quesadilla sauce
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:16:47 PM »
You don't speak Spanish, do you?? "Arroz Amarillo" means....... yellow rice......... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »
Shit, I thought it meant something fancy.  I should have realized that. :banghead:

Try the sauce.   It's good.  I might try using it for sandwich spread.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 06:02:11 PM »
That sauce is pretty close to what I use on my fish tacos. Can you  believe it?? Here I am in Texas and NONE of the local Mexican restaurants sell fish tacos....  :loser: Tex-Mex is all one gets and even the ones around here are fairly sad statements for Tex-Mex. It kind of sucks because if I want something GOOD, it means that I have to cook it myself.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »
At least fish tacos are easy to make.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 06:10:39 PM »
At least fish tacos are easy to make.

True, but this applies to most foods I like. BBQ sucks, unless I drive like 40 miles. Most of the Mexican food is OK, at best. Not overwhelmingly good, unless I drive to Dallas (75 miles). So, if I want some good food, period, I usually wind up cooking it myself or helping "Inga" cook it. She does OK on most things, though, without my assistance.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 06:45:11 PM »
I'm really enjoying this recipe.  I took the dry spices and made a big batch of it.  1 part cayenne pepper and garlic powder, four parts cumin and paprika.  I fried up some un-floured wings and gave them a good coat of spices as soon as they came out of the oil.  Good stuff.