Author Topic: Canning Game Meat  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Canning Game Meat
« on: March 13, 2011, 12:19:41 AM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zykcLH6ovY[/youtube]
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline JLO

Re: Canning Game Meat
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:33:15 AM »
Absolutely the very best stew meat I ever had was canned venison.  Leftovers also made some tasty hash.  Canning tenderizes wonderfully.

Also, I used to can salmon we (legally snagged) caught and also made 'mock' sardines from smelt seined out of the Brule River.  Fun memories.  I'll share the very simple recipes, if anyone wants them. 

Have safe canning equipment and know how to use it has always been my motto.  Read all the directions, replace seals, have it tested at your local County Extension Office - before using older canners.   New ones should be fine.  I don't can anymore, but I recommend the practice. 

These days, I freeze everything in vacuum bags.   Much less muss and fuss.   :whatever:

Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:42:47 AM »
We canned fruit and vegetables every year when I was a kid, never meat or fish though, just froze that.  Of course unless you're off-grid, there's an obvious weak point to the freezing...
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:12:03 PM »
We canned fruit and vegetables every year when I was a kid, never meat or fish though, just froze that.  Of course unless you're off-grid, there's an obvious weak point to the freezing...

Not only the power factor, but the longevity factor. Freezing meats will only last about a year before they start losing flavor. Canned meats will last two or three years. (Maybe more)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson