Author Topic: Quinn Signs “Amazon Tax” Into Law, Overstock and Amazon Terminate IL Associates  (Read 983 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
I previously reported on the “Amazon Tax” Bill (HB 3659) making its way through Illinois Legislation and landing on the Governor’s desk. Two months later, Governor Pat Quinn (recently elected Governor by .9%) has signed the bill into Public Act 096-1544. The Act “closes the loophole” (a.k.a. twists the law in lobbying groups’ favor) so that the same law that requires businesses with a physical presence in Illinois to collect sales tax is extended to those businesses with affiliates residing in the state. I reached out to Amazon, one of the companies with the biggest and most successful affiliate programs, Amazon Associates, and received word that they’re not willing to play ball. 
The thing about this law that gets under my skin is not that I will be out a source of revenue that supports 404 Tech Support. Instead, the problem is that the law is very business unfriendly. It’s a move by a greedy state. A state with a 9% unemployment rate as of January 2011, should be working to create jobs not scare businesses off and close off sources of income. Companies like FatWallet.com and BradsDeals are based in Illinois and have received notices from related affiliates like Overstock.com and Amazon stating that current affiliations have been terminated. FatWallet has previously mentioned leaving the state if this law went into effect. Politicians like Governor Quinn see this law as a new source of income for the state. It would be if any companies left their affiliates in place. Instead, there will be less revenue coming into Illinois as Internet companies terminate their relationships with their affiliates.  ...
http://www.404techsupport.com/2011/03/10/il-governor-quinn-signs-amazon-tax-into-law-overstock-and-amazon-terminate-all-illinois-associates/

Offline thundley4

Amazon has reacted the same way every time some state does this. Stupid DemRats never learn.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Congrats, Governor Quinn.  Stupid is as stupid does.  Soon you won't have anyone left to tax.  What then?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
The CSRA has some prime real estate. Come on down!
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site