Author Topic: Had You Bought Apple Shares Instead Of Apple Products…  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Had You Bought Apple Shares Instead Of Apple Products…
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:59:16 AM »
Since the first iPod, Apple’s been on a roll getting consumers hooked onto their products. The latest was the release of iPad 2 last Wednesday. No doubt this will be lapped up by Apple’s eager legions! A square foot of an Apple store generates $5,980 in annual revenue, that’s how profitable they are! Investors love Apple, consumers love Apple! Apple’s in a very envious position!

So I thought I’ll try out a different experiment. What if, instead of buying Apple products, one invested the equivalent price in Apple shares? Apple’s growth since the first iPod launch has been phenomenal! For the experiment, I chose the closing share price as of the launch date of the product without considering taxes for the purchase or commissions for the trade. For iPhone I’m using the price as bought with a contract.
Money Cone
$0 compounded is still $0... I own no Apple products.  I'm still kicking myself for not buying that $2-per-share Ford stock, though. :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:01:43 AM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
Re: Had You Bought Apple Shares Instead Of Apple Products…
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:06:15 AM »
I own several shares of Apple Stock.  I only got into the stock market at the end of last year, but in that time, it has grown nicely.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:46:32 AM »
I own several shares of Apple Stock.  I only got into the stock market at the end of last year, but in that time, it has grown nicely.

Well, what happens to that stock price when Steve Jobs croaks due to his cancer? He got a liver transplant not long ago, and once again retreated out of the spotlight due to his health concerns just weeks ago.

The man looks like a cadaver. If he isn't in Sparky's 2011 Dead Pool, he should be.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »
Well, what happens to that stock price when Steve Jobs croaks due to his cancer? He got a liver transplant not long ago, and once again retreated out of the spotlight due to his health concerns just weeks ago.

The man looks like a cadaver. If he isn't in Sparky's 2011 Dead Pool, he should be.

There is always a risk, but I don't feel that it would fall so quickly that I would lose everything.  Hopefully I'll find the right time to sell it.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »
Money Cone
$0 compounded is still $0... I own no Apple products.  I'm still kicking myself for not buying that $2-per-share Ford stock, though. :popcorn:

I rode the apple escalator up and down a couple times starting in the seventies and no longer own individual stock issues.  At one time I actually dollar cost averaged my apple position at about $12.00 from a high purchase of around $60.00 then sold when I reached a double.  Can it happen again.  You betcha. :wink: Apple has been down before and can be there again.  

{dollar cost averaging -- If you owned 100 shares bought at 60 / share then purchased and additional 100 at 12 / share you would have an average cost for the 200 shares of 36 dollars / share. For a double you would sell when the price reached 72 and would end up with a before tax profit of 7200, your initial investment being 6000 + 1200 taken from the 14400 gross sale}  

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:45:44 AM »
I remember back in 1979 when I reenlisted and received quite a nice reenlistment bonus (not as nice as you Nuke ****s, but not bad for my rating). I was looking for something to invest in back then. I still kick myself in the ass for not looking more in depth at the Personal Computer industry. Had I bought Microsoft or Apple shares, I could have been quite well off by now. Of course, my ex would have gotten her grubby fingers into that, too, I suppose.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson