Author Topic: A request: info on Reagan  (Read 1521 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
A request: info on Reagan
« on: April 10, 2008, 12:49:31 PM »
I would like to request an ammo dump of any info on Reagan. His name gets thrown around a lot by liberals and conservatives a lot. I often hear liberals lament Reagan's policies when debating today's political climate. I'm working on my own ammo and will post what I find. Please feel free to add anything here. I know several of you can remember first hand what the Reagan years were like and can put some valuable perspective to the man's legacy.

Here's the comment that started it for me. I've already dealt with it and put the liberal in it's place, but I'm putting it here to give you an idea of liberal thoughts on Reagan -

Here comes the soapbox (sorry to all of my Republican friends out there but I have to go there)...

The Regan era Republicans wanted to get rid of big government.  Certain industries were deregulated and certain regulating agencies had their funding cut.  We deregulated the airlines and they have been on a profit/bail out cycle ever since. It's obvious they can't run their businesses without some government regulation... Very few have managed to do ok but even then they didn't adhere to FAA regulations (Southwest). What we have now are over 100,000 passengers stranded or unable to get to their destinations.  Think about those people who got calls that a relative was sick or dying and now they can't even get there...

This same thought process gave us broken levies and collapsed bridges because we are afraid of our government getting too big.  We have no infrastructure anymore. Our transportation system is broken. Things are bad and yet people like Regan are considered heroes... Sad...
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
Re: A request: info on Reagan
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 06:46:12 PM »
The Regan era Republicans wanted to get rid of big government.  Certain industries were deregulated and certain regulating agencies had their funding cut.  We deregulated the airlines and they have been on a profit/bail out cycle ever since,

Jimma Carter deregulated the airlines.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/13/AR2007071300851.html

Carter Signs Airlines Deregulation Bill
Airline Deregulation Designed to Boost Competition

By Carole Shifrin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 25, 1978; Page

President Carter yesterday signed into law a bill designed to increase competition among the nation's airlines by phasing out federal regulation.

The new law, supported by President Carter since the beginning of his term, gradually reduces the role of the Civil Aeronautics Board in the fare and route decisions of the airlines, and abolishes th CAB altogether at the end of 1984.

It is one of the few things he did not mess up.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: A request: info on Reagan
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 08:53:05 AM »
Excellent find. thanks!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle