Author Topic: Schutzhund  (Read 5707 times)

Offline MP_Sarge

Schutzhund
« on: March 04, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
Any other Schutzhunders here?
Or other dog sport aficionados, for that matter?
Nunquam Honorandum Nisi Merito
 Transgender American Veterans

Offline cavegal

Re: Schutzhund
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »
My yellow Lab can balance a beer can on her head, would that be a sport?

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 02:51:55 PM »

I had a Schutzhund, but she got out of the yard and got run over and killed. My heart broke that night.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 03:08:56 PM »
My yellow Lab can balance a beer can on her head, would that be a sport?

Everything is a sport if you do it with enough flair, and argue over which team does it best.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »
I have a Blue Heeler, and I would love to get him started in agility.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 10:15:56 AM »

I need some information here as I seem to have found some nasty trainers in the past.

When I got a pound puppy German Shepard, low legs, I looked into training her for Schuttz training and I was horrified at the training methods used not just the Shepard's but Dobies and Rotties

This was late 1970's and with no computers or anything but the local library, I went personally to two trainers to watch them work.

Good dogs, great dogs but the trainers used fear as their major method.

To this day I still get a bad feeling when I hear the word Shutzhunters.  I am so glad you may be able to put my mind at rest.

Please tell us all what the dogs are used for and how trained 30 some odd years after I had my bad experience with sadistic trainers.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 12:10:57 PM »
I need some information here as I seem to have found some nasty trainers in the past.

When I got a pound puppy German Shepard, low legs, I looked into training her for Schuttz training and I was horrified at the training methods used not just the Shepard's but Dobies and Rotties

This was late 1970's and with no computers or anything but the local library, I went personally to two trainers to watch them work.

To this day I still get a bad feeling when I hear the word Shutzhunters.  I am so glad you may be able to put my mind at rest.

Please tell us all what the dogs are used for and how trained 30 some odd years after I had my bad experience with sadistic trainers.

I took my Schutzhund to a well known and well recommended trainer and later discovered that he used ear pinchers. I almost went back and beat his ass because she was just starting to not have that submissive urination around me. When we got her back, she was far worse. If I raised my voice at her, she'd squat and pee, regardless of where she was.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
WTF? I just took my mutt Dixie around the block and she only pees when I tell her to. I taught her where to pee as a pup and she still listens to me. Does that count?
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 12:28:42 PM »
Submissive urination is unrelated to housebreaking issues.

I'm not ignoring your question, vesta.  I'm on my cell- when I het back on my laptop, I'll answer you.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 01:36:45 PM »
i used to breed GSDs, several pups were bought for Schutzhund. Most were purchased by local LEOs for home.
I did do coursing with my Borzoi.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 08:19:55 PM »
WTF? I just took my mutt Dixie around the block and she only pees when I tell her to. I taught her where to pee as a pup and she still listens to me. Does that count?

Submissive Urination in Dogs

Many people are familiar with what is defined as the "submissive urinator"; the dog that urinates all over the floor, you the owner, and your guests, as soon as it becomes excited, aroused, or intimidated. It can be a frustrating and embarrassing problem, but fortunately is usually quite easily corrected. Puppies, especially shy, timid and oversensitive ones are the likely candidates for submissive urination, but it is not uncommon to see this problem persist into adulthood. There tends to be more females with this problem as well. Dog owners who are dominant and strict tend also to encourage a submissive relationship with their dog.

Common situations where dogs get excited or fearful, and urinate are:

-overaffectionate greetings
          -when you arrive home
          -guests entering your home
          -arguments between people
          -scolding
          -loud noises

In order to understand this behavior, you must understand the language of dominance and submissiveness. Young puppies learn this from their mother. Gestures like averting eyes, rolling on their back, and urinating, are all used to express submissiveness. In situations where a dog feels intimidated, the proper learned response for them is to elicit some submissive signal to show the person or other dog that they recognize their dominance. Urination in this case is not deliberate or spiteful. To deal with this problem, the first thing that you must do is have your veterinarian examine your dog for possible physical abnormalities pertaining to this problem. Sickness and disease can cause difficulty for your pet to control their facilities. If physical problems prove to be the cause, discuss options specific to your dog's situation with your veterinarian as to your possible options (e.g. surgery, drugs, coping mechanisms).

More Here

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 09:03:13 PM »

You'll find bad eggs in any group of people.  Schutzhund [and dogs sports in general] definitely has it's fair share.
A lot of Schutzhund trainers were big devotees of Koehler back in the day, and chances are the trainers you met were in the same school of thought.

The sport has come a LOOOOONG way since the '70s, however.
In the past five years or so, we've seen a serious surge of positive training methods in the sport.

Ideally, if you aren't buying crap dogs, a decent working dog should have enough drive for the work that corrections should be largely unnecessary, especially in the training stages.

I'm not above correcting a dog for willful non-compliance, but yanking up on the collar and pushing down on the butt isn't training- it's manhandling, and the only thing you've taught the dog is learned helplessness, if you approach it with those methods.

This is my dog last summer.  She learned the trick "around" in less than a day, for an online contest.  No corrections, just positive reinforcement.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3raSW21rc[/youtube]

Here we are, competition heeling work:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:05:29 PM by MP_Sarge »

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 09:09:56 PM »
I took my Schutzhund to a well known and well recommended trainer and later discovered that he used ear pinchers. I almost went back and beat his ass because she was just starting to not have that submissive urination around me. When we got her back, she was far worse. If I raised my voice at her, she'd squat and pee, regardless of where she was.

Most "professional trainers" are con artists.
Especially ones that want to train your dog for you, away from your sight.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 06:17:53 AM »

Hubby found Roger at the pound, a mix of sheltie and ChuchoWOWwa.   Little 18 month male that was on the list to end life the next day.

Roger had been adopted out to 3 different family's and all had brought him back, no reason given why.  Hubby felt so sorry for him and as we were grieving for our last dog that took on a Mac truck and lost, we brought Roger home.   

Didn't take us long to discover why he had a bad adoption record, Roger was terrified of me as I am the Alpha Bitch in this home.   I just looked at him and he peed anywhere he was.

We had 2 other dogs and Roger became the end of the pack structure.    So I just left the little fella alone, I tried feeding him first to boost his place in the pack ----didn't work. 

Roger had no problem with MEN, he was terrified of woman.   This was 15 years ago, Roger is now a very old man, gray mussel and has about 3 teeth left.  In the last year Roger has finally semi-accepted that I will not harm him, he will come and let me pat him for a short time, and no longer pees when I look at him. 

My thinking as for all these years Roger slept next to me  protecting me even as he feared me ,that as a puppy some  @%#$&*)  non dog bitch must have traumatised him beyond belief.

All these years to recover from his fear, darn but we had patience and found his buttons.  No eye contact, no touching by me-- quiet environment and companionship of well adjusted dogs.  If Roger had been a 50 pound dog, things would have been different but at 15 pounds we hung on and Hubby got a wonderful friend that has given his best for the family.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 05:47:52 AM »

I did obedience and agility training back in the 70's & 80's.  I didn't train others dogs, I taught owners.  The majority of people wanted to drop off a dog, come back and pick up an obedient dog.
I still train my dogs to hand signals;  "hold'' and "carry" come in real handy on shopping days.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 10:49:10 AM »
I did obedience and agility training back in the 70's & 80's.  I didn't train others dogs, I taught owners.  The majority of people wanted to drop off a dog, come back and pick up an obedient dog.
I still train my dogs to hand signals;  "hold'' and "carry" come in real handy on shopping days.

The very best trained dog I ever owned was a 2 year old Rottie bitch.

I had been having reoccurring dreams of a break in  and was  listening to my subconscious.

I found her in an ad in the paper and because I had cats and a couple of very small dogs asked the owner to bring her to my house.The owner showed up with the dog of a breed I knew nothing about except bad things.     She walked in the house and when turned loose just did a sniff over and ignored the other pets that were barking and hissing at her.

The owner told me she was semi-trained, house broken, would sit, lay and come by voice or hand signals.    So I wrote out a contract to say that if the dog ate me, husband or pets she would be accepted back with full refund of money. I now owned a huge dog that I knew nothing about.   All went well in the next 2 weeks the dog was as calm as ice, nothing seemed to bother her.

Only problem was that for those 2 weeks the dog sat most of the day looking out the window for her master to come and get her. So sad the devotion some dogs have for their masters.

After a month we took her to be spade and after 2 days at the Vets. she came home to what she considered her new pack.  Darn that big horse followed us every where, especially me, I had to leave the door open in the bathroom when I took a bubble bath and she delighted in stealing my Loofah from under the water and Bubbles.

8 wonderful years we had with this huge beast, she never growled or snapped at anyone except for one time we were shopping, I was in a store, hubby outside with her and some man walked down the street and she sniffed at him and growled.

Hubby was most upset,  she had never done that before so there had to be something evil about that man. 

One day our big beast became annoying to me, summer and shorts season.  Every time I sat down this dog headed my way and began to lick on my leg, same spot and no amount of of shooing her would make her stop.  I changed my soap, body cream but she kept it up. 

After a month of this foolishness she head butted me in the leg at that spot.   It was like being hit with a brick and I thought she had broken my leg. Hubby carried me into ER for an ex ray and we found a large cell tumor in that spot that was slowly eating itself through the bone. I ended up in the hospital with fear I would loose my leg but the doctors removed the tumor and placed a large necrotic bone into the area.

Results, had I not had this dog, another 6 months and I would possibly have lost my leg.

Any one else ever have a pet that saved their life in some unusual manner.???

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 09:07:21 PM »

As it should be!
If you're really in it for the dogs [as opposed to for the money], you train the owners.  Teaching the dog how to work for you, the trainer, does nothing if they go home and can't work with their family.  Everyone wins when the owner knows how to train.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »
My hunting buddy's dog will pee it's self when read Mien Kamph, does that count?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 01:26:33 PM »

Any one else ever have a pet that saved their life in some unusual manner.???

Not a pet.
We had some damned good Military Working Dogs assigned with us in Iraq.
They prompted me to buy a working line GSD when I came home.