Author Topic: Stan the Man!  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

Stan the Man!
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:33:48 AM »

Wash. D.C.--  It took the encouragement of some U.S. Senators and the entire ‘Cardinal Nation’ but Stan Musial was finally awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom. 
Also honored was Boston Celtics Hall of Famer, Bill Russell.
Musial and Russell were included with former U. S. President George H.W. Bush.

“We got our picture taken with Babe Ruth and I thought that was heady stuff but here I am with Stan-the-Man,” said the former President.  “I am so honored to be here today.”

Throughout the 2010 baseball season, thousands of Cardinals fans from around the world took part in the team's social-media based ‘Stand for Stan’ campaign.  “For us, Stan embodies all that is good about the game of baseball and what it means to be a St. Louis Cardinal,” wrote the 2010 Cardinals players in a letter to President Obama supporting Musial for the Medal of Freedom.  “Stan is a role model for players and fans alike, embodying the qualities of good sportsmanship, self-discipline, hard work, consistency, grace, humility and excellence.”

Ron Watermon of the St. Louis Cardinals was the point man for the ‘Stand for Stan’ project.  Cardinal supporters and Musial admirers were encouraged to take their picture of with the caricature of the ‘Stand for Stan’ and forward the photo’s on.  Folks were lobbying and encouraging others in the effort with their picture of ‘Stand for Stan’.  “The day we started the project, the team (Cardinals) was in San Diego, and there were fans already in the stadium with ‘Stand for Stan’ posters,” said Watermon.  “It took a life of its own and just grew.”

The Medal of Freedom is the nation's highest civilian honor.   It was long overdue for Musial.
http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/content/baseb/mp-baseb/art-mp-baseb/get-long-overdue-honor-for-musial.shtml?45595

My cousin was Stan the Man's teammate with the Cards. Stan'd play harmonica for the little ones at our family barbeques. Over the years, we had nearly all the greats out there playing corkball. I have baseballs signed by both teams in the 1964 World Series.
I absolutely hate that hideous statue at Busch Stadium.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston