Author Topic: Gas Costs Rise, Set Record For This Time Of Year  (Read 130481 times)

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
Re: Gas Costs Rise, Set Record For This Time Of Year
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 12:09:30 PM »
I'm still amazed at how little you all pay for things like gas, flour, milk, sugar, etc. If you want to know where you're headed take a shopping trip over the border sometime.

I know most don't care about us up north but this is quite interesting from my perspective...If you're goes up to 4$/g where does that leave us? Well over 5$/g

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »
I'm still amazed at how little you all pay for things like gas, flour, milk, sugar, etc. If you want to know where you're headed take a shopping trip over the border sometime.

I know most don't care about us up north but this is quite interesting from my perspective...If you're goes up to 4$/g where does that leave us?

Screwed & Canadian.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2011, 12:17:01 PM »

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 12:17:22 PM »

I know most don't care about us up north but this is quite interesting from my perspective...If you're goes up to 4$/g where does that leave us? Well over 5$/g

I would suspect that a significant portion of the difference in pricing between Canada and the US on not only gasoline, but most other commodities as well, is the extra taxes (both direct and hidden) that the Canadian government levies to pay for their "free" healthcare system........

No such thing as a "free lunch".........

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
I would suspect that a significant portion of the difference in pricing between Canada and the US on not only gasoline, but most other commodities as well, is the extra taxes (both direct and hidden) that the Canadian government levies to pay for their "free" healthcare system........

No such thing as a "free lunch".........

doc

Gas taxes don't go to health care, Payroll and income taxes are the main source of money for health care. Gas tax goes to things like road construction and such.

Take a look at this...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Canada#Comparison_to_other_countries

I don't care what is said about our system, I'm happy with it and have no problem paying into it. What I do have prblems with taxes being used for a glass domes and fake lakes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/02/19/parl-reno-palace.html
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontog20summit/article/827453--g20-fake-lake-makes-its-debut
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:32:03 PM by compaqxp »

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 12:27:32 PM »
Gas taxes don't go to health care, Payroll and income taxes are the main source of money for health care. Gas tax goes to things like road construction and such.

How many roads do y'all got????   I never saw any when I watched Ice Road Truckers....:whatever:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »

<snip>

All creative accounting........in fact your government requires "X" dollars to support your system, you can manipulate the sources of funding to accomplish that goal, but the bottom line is that the "total taxation" that you pay is what funds all the social services that you receive.  You also have VAT (hidden) taxes on goods and services that go to your General Fund.  Balance transfers are a simple budgetary gimmick that ALL governments use to cloud the manner in which money is spent.

Our gasoline taxes also supposedly go to road construction and maintenance, but if you look at the actual accounting, they all go into the "General Fund", that is raided for everything discretionary that government spends.

In the case of the US (before ObamaCare), as a free people, we were at liberty to "pay as you go" for health care........buy insurance or not, the responsibility is upon the citizen.  In your case you are paying for health care everytime you earn or purchase anything, whether you need to use it or not.

Historically we as Americans have opted for personal responsibility.......we don't need the government dictating what services we are "entitled to", and taxing the hell out of us to pay for them for everyone, or how we live our lives in general.........it's a different mindset.

I fully realize that as a Canadian, it is hard for you to understand the "American mentality", when it comes to our attitude about government.........but it is what it is........

We WOULD, however, appreciate if your countrymen are so satisfied with your system, stay on your side of the border when you need urgent aggressive cancer treatment, transplant surgery, or any other form of cutting edge medical care.  In summary, you chose your system.....live with it.........

My closest friend was Chief of Neurosurgery at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit for over a decade, handling the riskiest, most complex cases in brain surgery, and over 60% of his patients were Canadian subjects who simply could not receive the needed procedures under NHS.  Although NHS might be fine for relatively healthy people, it is the advanced medicine where it falters.......your system is simply incapable of attracting the talent and the infrastructure required to do anything other than routine services with any competence, and to that you have to add the vast level of bureaucratic administrative costs that government management incurs, making it more costly still

We're off-topic though.......[/threadjack]

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2011, 03:47:38 PM »
How much is gas in Oh Canada?  Is it still priced per liter?  Compaq??
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Jmartin

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2011, 11:18:59 PM »
Gas today jumped 18 cents at the cheapest station to 3.39 a gallon. Needless to say I voiced my opinion by ripping out the lot. I normally don't lose my temper like that but gas has gone up for nothing. Our oil supply has YET to be affected by the situation in the middle east. The oil companies just wanted a excuse to raise prices. Guess they missed making record profits year after year. Funny thing is last time gas cost this much oil was almost $200 a barrel. See any funny about that.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2011, 11:32:26 PM »

Take a look at this...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Canada#Comparison_to_other_countries

I don't care what is said about our system, I'm happy with it and have no problem paying into it. What I do have prblems with taxes being used for a glass domes and fake lakes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/02/19/parl-reno-palace.html
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontog20summit/article/827453--g20-fake-lake-makes-its-debut
Don't let anyone fool you; taxes all go into the same pot and are just shifted around to make you think that they are designated for this or that program.

I am glad that you are happy with your system. However, you do have a problem with how we run our government. That tells me that your are a meddling fool or a liar or jealous.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2011, 11:34:46 PM »
$3.54 (for regular) in Las Vegas at the Texaco.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2011, 11:59:54 PM »
Hate to tell ya, noob, but you need to get your facts straight.

Canada is 1st, followed by Mexico, THEN Saudi Arabia (at about 13 percent of our FOREIGN oil).  We still produce about 40 percent of what we consume, so 13 percent of 60 percent is closer to about 8 percent of our total consumption.

LINK

We only get around 15% from the M.E. Although we import most of our oil from Canada, liberal democrats want to ban oil from them that is derived from oil sands because of environmental concerns. No kidding. We have liberals in this country that are not worth the powder to blow their worthless ass up. One day the Canadians may tell us to stuff it and sell more of their oil to the Russians.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2011, 08:49:17 AM »
The Tribune has an article this morning. Gas prices in Chicago have surpassed $4/gal at some stations. Still $3.55/gal around here.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2011, 09:00:24 AM »
http://gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

Time to head back to this, people.

ETA: $48.50 to filll up my tank yesterday, and I still had 1/4 tank when I filled up.

A full tank (with the ethanol shit in it) gets me 3 1/2 days.  If pure gas (as of April 1st) I'll get 4 to 4 1/2 days driving.

I'm already figuring $80-100/week for gas by Memorial Day.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:02:33 AM by NHSparky »
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2011, 09:05:26 AM »
Monday to today, my gas station went up from 3.19 to 3.39.  20 cents in a few days. 

Dang. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2011, 09:19:28 AM »
$4 plus is getting more and more common around here for premium gas.  Lowest grade was between $3.78 and $3.85 driving home last night.  Shocking that with all that tax money California is still broke  :whatever:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2011, 09:24:05 AM »
Found this in my inbox this morning:

How Obama Is Making Gas Prices Higher

Yesterday, for the first time since September 2008, the price of a barrel of crude oil topped $100 on the New York Mercantile Exchange. But while the recent unrest in the Middle East has had some marginal effect on rising prices, the most significant factor has been increased oil demand worldwide. That is why, long before the recent protests even began, analysts were predicting $4 a gallon by this summer and $5 a gallon by 2012. Anyone could have predicted that the recovering world economy, coupled with the continued growth of India and China, was going to push oil prices higher. So if an Administration wanted to keep gas prices down, they could have mitigated increased oil demand by increasing domestic oil production. But that is not what the Obama Administration has done. Instead of increasing domestic oil supplies, the Obama Administration has cut them at every opportunity, and Americans are now suffering because of those choices.

Back in February, when the protests in Egypt were first unfolding, Energy Secretary Steven Chu was asked what the Administration could do to combat rising world oil prices. Chu responded: “The best way America can protect itself against these incidents is to decrease our dependency on foreign oil, in fact to diversify our supply.” It is now one month later and the Administration has not updated its talking points.
Heritage
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2011, 09:24:37 AM »
Up a dime this morning.

Regular gasoline $3.54, 15% ethanolated gasoline $3.44.

<<uses only regular gasoline in vehicle.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2011, 09:26:14 AM »
I have no idea where to buy non-ethanol gasoline in town.  There may be one station out by the junkyard that sells it, but I don't see any in my neighborhood.  The next closest place I know of is in Tullahoma or maybe Columbia.  Neither of those counties do smog checks either.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2011, 09:28:02 AM »
I have no idea where to buy non-ethanol gasoline in town.  There may be one station out by the junkyard that sells it, but I don't see any in my neighborhood.  The next closest place I know of is in Tullahoma or maybe Columbia.

All stations in Nebraska have to carry both kinds, regular and regular laced 15% with ethanol.

I'm not sure why this is.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2011, 09:28:30 AM »
I have no idea where to buy non-ethanol gasoline in town.  There may be one station out by the junkyard that sells it, but I don't see any in my neighborhood.  The next closest place I know of is in Tullahoma or maybe Columbia.  Neither of those counties do smog checks either.

None here.  There is one place I heard of that is about 2 hours away, rumored to have it. 

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2011, 09:30:12 AM »
None here.  There is one place I heard of that is about 2 hours away, rumored to have it. 

Are we walking the same thing, madam?

I'm referring to gasoline with a little bit of ethanol in it, not the mostly-ethanol fuel.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »
Are we walking the same thing, madam?

I'm referring to gasoline with a little bit of ethanol in it, not the mostly-ethanol fuel.

I believe we are Frank.  It is my understanding that in the DFW area you cannot get gasoline without the little bit of ethanol in it.   We don't have any pure gas around here. 

For those interested in finding real gas, here is a link.  I can't vouch for it's accuracy though.   

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2011, 10:24:39 AM »
Wow, are the lefties howling for Zer0's (non-existent) 'nads yet?
I seem to remember a time not so long ago when rising gas prices were all Bush's fault. :whatever:
I gassed up last week, midgrade fuel, at $3.61 a gallon.  Guess we aren't as bad off in SE AZ as alot of youall are, judging from some of the posts here.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2011, 11:19:05 AM »
Wow, are the lefties howling for Zer0's (non-existent) 'nads yet?
I seem to remember a time not so long ago when rising gas prices were all Bush's fault. :whatever:
I gassed up last week, midgrade fuel, at $3.61 a gallon.  Guess we aren't as bad off in SE AZ as alot of youall are, judging from some of the posts here.

I just ordered a topoff of my oil tank.  $3.599.  Up 45 cents from my last fillup less than six weeks ago, and almost a dollar since my first fill in November.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford