Author Topic: It's OK, we couldn't see your tits in this light anyway  (Read 2812 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
It's OK, we couldn't see your tits in this light anyway
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:08:12 PM »
Abraham Haim, a professor of biology at Haifa University in Israel, said that the bluer light that compact flourescent lamps (CFLs) emitted closely mimiced daylight, disrupting the body's production of the hormone melatonin more than older-style filament bulbs, which cast a yellower light.

Melatonin, thought to protect against some breast and prostate cancers, is produced and secreted by the brain's pineal gland around the clock.

Highest secretion levels are at night but light depresses production, even if one's eyes are shut.

A possible link between night time light exposure and breast cancer risk has been known for over a decade, since a study was published showing female shift workers were more likely to develop the disease.

Their study, published in the journal Chronobiology International, found breast cancer rates were up to 22 per cent higher in women who slept with a light on, compared to those who slept in total darkness.

They thought one of the reasons for this stronger link could be that people had switched to using energy saving lightbulbs.

They wrote: "In the past decade, light bulbs emitting bluer light waves (~460 nm) have been widely introduced to save energy consumption and reduce CO2 emission."

They quoted another study which showed that exposure to bluer, shorter wavelength light for two hours in the late evening suppressed melatonin production more than the same exposure to yellower light (~550nm), which is more typical of filament bulbs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8288982/Energy-saving-light-bulbs-could-trigger-breast-cancer.html
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
Re: It's OK, we couldn't see your tits in this light anyway
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 03:22:01 AM »
I don't use CFL's. I tried them and didn't like the colour of them and at -30 the few I need outside were totally useless.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:31:54 AM »
I don't use CFL's. I tried them and didn't like the colour of them and at -30 the few I need outside were totally useless.

They'll work outside in colder temps, but you need to turn them on AT LEAST an hour earlier than needed.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »
We have "twirly" bulbs everywhere.  I have blue ones in the overhead light in the living room for when we need clear light, and yellow ones in the lamps. (The lamp shades are also gold, so the light is very comfortable when only the lamps are on.)  I have a few bulbs that are...well, hard to describe.  They are a "twirly" bulb inside a larger globe, just a little bigger than a standard incandescent.  I have these outside because they seem to stand up to weather a lot longer.  In fact, the back porch light used to burn out every couple months, but this globe bulb has been out there for at least 2 years now. 

The globe one and the ones in the bedrooms are slow bulbs, they take a few minutes to get to full light.  The ones in the living room are not slow, they are instant on.

One thing that may be different is that most of mine are Philips.  I don't like the GE ones nearly as well.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.