Author Topic: 'Explosive' Food Prices the Biggest Risk: Analyst  (Read 1820 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
'Explosive' Food Prices the Biggest Risk: Analyst
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:25:56 AM »
Just got this off of CNBC, via Drudge.

'Explosive' Food Prices the Biggest Risk: Analyst

Published: Monday, 17 Jan 2011 | 2:26 AM ET

By: Patrick Allen
CNBC Senior News Editor

Overheating emerging markets, in China in particular, pose the biggest threat to the market and political situation in 2011 according to Philippe Gijsels, head of research at BNP Paribas Fortis Global Markets.

“These economies are clearly overheating and governments are putting measures in place to slow them down to fight inflationary pressure. More than anything else, food inflation is a problem," Gijsels told CNBC.com.

"In countries were 70 percent to 80 percent and sometimes more of a family's budget goes to food, explosive price rises risk to destabilize these societies. Remember the old saying: 'hunger starves civilizations,’” he added.

“We believe that some of these governments will be quite aggressive in their inflation fight. And we do not even want to think about the consequences if this year were to have a disappointing monsoon,” Gijsels said.

He is worried that everyone is so bullish on China’s ability to engineer a soft landing.

The rest is here:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41089972

China facing starvation . . . wouldn't that be "interesting?" :o :o :o
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline catsmtrods

Re: 'Explosive' Food Prices the Biggest Risk: Analyst
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:36:07 AM »
What are they saying? China might come a stealing? I'm just a simple mind but don't we owe them a bunch of $$ and don't we have a bunch of food? There's a bunch of farms out your way not doin nothing I'm sure.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:30:15 AM »
China has some major internal issues going on right now.   Food prices just one of their many worries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:40:24 PM »
Fuel prices are one of the biggest variables driving food prices, of course they're going to go up steeply.

And where can one buy this 'Explosive food,' anyway, I might have a use for some of that...

:popcorn:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:58:16 PM »
Fuel prices are one of the biggest variables driving food prices, of course they're going to go up steeply.

And where can one buy this 'Explosive food,' anyway, I might have a use for some of that...

:popcorn:

Any Taco Bell.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline true_blood

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:37:53 PM »
Yup. You are correct DAT.
I wonder why the Obozo put that moratorium in the Gulf anyways? Other Countries are drilling away, while American drillers are idle. :wtf2:
Hey lurking DUmmies. I would love to hear your "expertise" on this, since you guys/gals are the ones that support the community organizer like the zombies that you are. Wouldn't it be ironic to hear DUmmies complain about gas prices going up? Oh wait,...they already have. :mental: :mental:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »
Any Taco Bell.

Nah, I want the kind that comes ready to cap, not the kind that makes me explode.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 08:40:55 AM »
Nah, I want the kind that comes ready to cap, not the kind that makes me explode.

People like Glen Beck tell us to stock up on food for a disaster---Good advice but they never get into how it is done.

When one has the choice between heat and food, here comes the rub.  I watch how the Mormons do it, they don't just run out and spend $500.00 dollars for a supply of food for 1 person a year,  they start small, each visit to the grocery store they spend an extra $10.00 for 10 pounds of rice or dried beans.  If one goes shopping twice a week then one can store 80 pounds of rice, next month 80 pounds of beans, next month cooking oil, next month canned meats and veggies.--total cost for all that is $240.00 and one can feed an army on that.  This is just 3 months of buying, the next 2-3 months one can buy freeze dried meats or fruits.

Will you miss that extra $20.00 a week most likely but how much does a carton of cigarettes cost today per week??  I haven't been to a bar in years but how much does it cost for just one beer much less some concoction that one can down the hatch in 3 minutes.?

Priority's first spending $60.00 dollars for a meal and drinks then come home to a place with Catchup and day old milk will not keep you alive in an emergency.

So here you are, no emergency at this time, the shelf life is getting close, so just cook up what is ageing and replace it.

Naturally to replace this food will as prices rise cost a pretty penny but, with eating up all this food you are saving money from not buying much extra food.