Author Topic: Arizona Massacre Prompts Political 'Cheap Shots'  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

Arizona Massacre Prompts Political 'Cheap Shots'
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:13:40 AM »
Rather, many on the American Left said the horror could be traced to the malign influence of American conservatives; members of the Tea Party; right-wing pundits Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck; former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin; and Fox News.

Within minutes after the attempted assassination of Giffords -- indeed, at a point when it was still erroneously believed in many quarters that she was dead, and the identity of her shooter was not publicly known -- some commentators, absent any credible evidence, were already busily laying blame for the atrocity in political terms. Nobel Prize-winning economist and New York Times columnist Paul Krugman blogged at 3:22 p.m. ET Saturday: "We don't have proof yet that this was political, but the odds are that it was."

Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik, a Democrat, also found a political element in Saturday's bloodshed. Dupnik argued that the "vitriol" of the country's harshly polarized political climate was partly to blame, arguing that unbalanced individuals are uniquely "susceptible" to vitriol. Dupnik added, in an interview with Fox News' Megyn Kelly: "We see one party trying to block the attempts of another party to make this a better country."

Krugman, in his blog post on the Times website, went on to mention Giffords' presence last year on Palin's "infamous crosshairs list."  Giffords herself, during her narrow campaign victory over a Tea Party-backed opponent last year, had complained about this choice of imagery,

Unnoted by Giffords then, or Krugman now, is the routine use of similar language and imagery by both parties in a culture obsessed with "battleground" states. Indeed, a nearly identical map, included in a Democratic Leadership Committee publication in 2004, featured nine bullseyes over regions where Republican candidates were considered vulnerable that year, and was accompanied by a caption reading: TARGETING STRATEGY. A smaller caption, beneath the bullseyes, read: BEHIND ENEMY LINES. The map illustrated an article on campaign strategy by Will Marshall of the Progressive Policy Institute.

Krugman's blog post on Saturday linked "the rhetoric of Beck, Limbaugh, etc." to "the violence I fear we're going to see in the months and years ahead," and added: "Violent acts are what happen when you create a climate of hate." Yet in all of the grammatically hobbled writings and statements that Loughner posted on the Internet -- in which, ironically, one of his chief obsessions was others' poor grammar -- the failed student and awkward loner made not a single reference to talk-radio or the TV hosts Krugman cited, to the health care debate or the Tea Party, to Sarah Palin or Fox News.

Without mentioning Palin by name, Sen. Richard Durbin of Illinois, the number-two Democrat in the Senate, alluded on Sunday to the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee in his discussion of the causes of the violence the day before.

Some prominent commentators objected to these comments.

"To try to place blame before an investigation has occurred is in itself inciting hatred," countered Christian missionary Franklin Graham.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/10/arizona-massacre-prompts-political-cheap-shots/

Peter Johnson and Sheriff Babue politely told  Sheriff Dumpdick to STFU hypocrite!
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline true_blood

Re: Arizona Massacre Prompts Political 'Cheap Shots'
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 12:53:20 PM »
Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik, a Democrat, also found a political element in Saturday's bloodshed. Dupnik argued that the "vitriol" of the country's harshly polarized political climate was partly to blame, arguing that unbalanced individuals are uniquely "susceptible" to vitriol. Dupnik added, in an interview with Fox News' Megyn Kelly: "We see one party trying to block the attempts of another party to make this a better country."
All this coming from someone who is supposed to protect and serve the public? Another one that should be ashamed of himself.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 12:59:02 PM »
All this coming from someone who is supposed to protect and serve the public? Another one that should be ashamed of himself.

I saw Megyn Kelly's interview with Dupnik. He was doing what he's accusing other of doing!! I thought Megyn did a good job of pointing it out, though Dupnik was so full of himself, that he didn't even realize it.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 01:08:58 PM »
I saw Megyn Kelly's interview with Dupnik. He was doing what he's accusing other of doing!! I thought Megyn did a good job of pointing it out, though Dupnik was so full of himself, that he didn't even realize it.
It's disgusting. It really is.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »
It's disgusting. It really is.

It wasn't just that he was disgusting...I also thought he was a bit off his rocker. He's supposed to be the Sheriff...once elected, apolitical and non-controversial. He's inciting a reaction as much as anyone is...more so, if you consider his comments are going out over the tv and internet, not just countrywide but to anyone in the world with internet access or worldwide news! He was doing everything he could to blame Palin and Fox News, without specifically citing them by name.   
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 01:52:14 PM »
Sorta OT:  My aunt was shot point-blank in the head by her last husband.  She has a steel plate, and a dent in her forehead. She did get really pissed that she had to give up Budweiser tho, gives her a headache.  :-)  Aunt Tootsie is one of a kind.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 04:39:23 PM »
Sorta OT:  My aunt was shot point-blank in the head by her last husband.  She has a steel plate, and a dent in her forehead. She did get really pissed that she had to give up Budweiser tho, gives her a headache.  :-)  Aunt Tootsie is one of a kind.

Wow, that is one tough lady!

So, does she drink Miller now?  :-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »

It was the Budweiser that gave me headaches the morning after for many years.

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 04:44:12 PM »
Sorta OT:  My aunt was shot point-blank in the head by her last husband. 

There is NO WAY IN HELL you can say something like that and NOT give the backstory!!!!!!!

Do tell, do tell.... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 04:48:33 PM »
It was the Budweiser that gave me headaches the morning after for many years.

Could very well be you have a rice sugar intolerance.  AB brews with rice.  ew. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:52:48 PM »
Could very well be you have a rice sugar intolerance.  AB brews with rice.  ew. 

Funny, I thought it was the amount that was consumed, not what was in it.  Maybe I should go back and try it with a different brand.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 04:54:26 PM »
Funny, I thought it was the amount that was consumed, not what was in it.  Maybe I should go back and try it with a different brand.

Good idea.  You'll never be sure otherwise, and it will haunt you the rest of your days.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent