Author Topic: Pie to Cupcake: Time’s Up  (Read 2394 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Pie to Cupcake: Time’s Up
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »
THE idea for a pie-centric restaurant came to Trevor Logan in the California desert. He was in the midst of planning an ice cream parlor when he had what may have been a flash of insight, a stroke of genius or a psychic message from his 90-year-old grandmother in Oklahoma: “Maybe I shouldn’t just be doing ice cream,” he thought. “We have The Pie.”

The Pie was the most popular dessert at his first restaurant here, Green Chile Kitchen. Now it has become the cornerstone of the menu at his second place, Chile Pies and Ice Cream, which he opened in March in the Western Addition district. Apples are layered with roasted green chilies, made savory with Cheddar cheese in the crust and sprinkled with a streusel topping of walnuts and brown sugar.

Green chilies and melted cheese are two basic elements of New Mexican cooking, said Mr. Logan, who went to college in Santa Fe and said that he opened Green Chile Kitchen to ensure that he had a steady supply of the food he missed after moving here.

Savory and sweet, earthy and spicy, Mr. Logan’s green-chili apple pie is an irresistible example of the lengths to which young pie makers are going to make their mark.  ...
  2011: Year of the Pie?

Offline debk

Re: Pie to Cupcake: Time’s Up
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:57:40 AM »
Back in the 70's, there was a restaurant in Omaha, that only served pies. It was wonderful. It was essentially done the same way as a Dunkin' Donuts or Baskin Robbins in that there were x-number of flavors of pie. You could get a slice and a drink, or buy the whole pie to take home.

Lately I've been making cupcakes and tarts rather than cakes or pies. Doing the basic pie recipe and putting it in tart shells and same with the cake to cupcakes. I don't adjust the quantities just the baking time. For Christmas, I did mincemeat tarts and pecan tarts, and turned my cheesecake into cupcakes. The leftovers kept better and disappeared quicker. The servings are smaller and I think that's why we're quicker to take one.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
What Deb said.

Cupcakes are more fun and less of a hassle to make.  There are so many things you can do with cupcakes.  I made pumpkin spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and everyone went nuts for them.  When I made the regular pumpkin bars, they didn't go as quickly, but it was the same recipe with an adjusted baking time.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:24:59 AM »
Pie is not a fad.  :wink:
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »
I have to say I like both pies and cupcakes and I wouldn't stop eating one of them because it wasn't 'trendy'. I have failed as a foodie elitist.  :-)

Offline cavegal

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:03:27 PM »

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16