Author Topic: My Aunt the DUmbass?  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
My Aunt the DUmbass?
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:47:37 PM »
This past Christmas I had a rather heated discussion with my WELL educated Aunt (has a Masters in biology). This why I found the argument so .....odd.
She is of the belief that she can put up a home solar array (just over 200 square feet) and "sell back" power to the utility co. She gleefully told me how she can't wait to see her meter go backwards and "stick it" to Big Utility. Now, I've done some searching and this is possible (sell back). HOWEVER the cost of said system is roughly $16K, and the best case payback is 30+ years.

How the hell can she be so friggin stupid?????    :???:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: My Aunt the DUmbass?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »
Because she's not running the numbers. Instead, she's listening to or reading some commercial advertising or she's listening to some unscrupulous salesman. Sure, one can sell power back to the electric company. However, they'd have to be generating quite a bit of power. I don't see where a 200 Sq ft solar array could do that.

All in all, what she's saying is true, but the investment overrides the return, at least for quite a while. Let's say her average electric bill is $300/ month. It would take about 4½ years to see any type of return on it and that's assuming that she's generating enough electricity to break even.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 02:43:17 PM »
Some of the stuff I've read about 'selling back' is that it is not regulated.  Meaning ... there's nothing in the law that says how much the utility must pay for the electricity you're sending their way.

Maybe that was just for Texas ... I dunno.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 03:20:11 PM »
The parents of a friend of mine recently installed a solar array, taking advantage of our governments "Rebate" for doing so. That was somethig on the order of $20K.

Their outlay was circa $10K.

The solar system feeds directly into the grid - and they get their electricity from the grid (no storage and no provision for adding it). If the grid goes out so does their juice. The system can produce up to 12 kw. They have a average load of about 5 and a peak load of probably 6 or 8 with everything on. Thus given clement weather and their limited use of electricity they'll get a credit on their electrical bills.

Note that this isn't an off the grid technology AND that the government is chipping in approximately 2/3rds the setup costs.

All the people I know that actually live off the grid - mostly because of location - are very frugal with electricity , and use gas or other combustion for whatever they can.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 08:58:03 AM »
Power laws are highly specialized, and a combination of some fed law but primarily state regulation, so the rules on buying back are probably pretty different from state to state, though it's so widespread I believe there is an underlying federal requirement driving it.

A lot depends on her own energy usage.  If she is a complete green freak that takes cold showers and relies on a wood stove, primarily uses off-peak power and puts in peak power to the grid, and can shop and install the entire thing herself except the final hookup well, maybe she could eventually get ahead on it, but it'll still take awhile.  Since that isn't really the case for 95% of the people who put in solar arrays, it sounds like she's bought into a total wagonload of solar power sales bullshit.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »
Power laws are highly specialized, and a combination of some fed law but primarily state regulation, so the rules on buying back are probably pretty different from state to state, though it's so widespread I believe there is an underlying federal requirement driving it.

A lot depends on her own energy usage.  If she is a complete green freak that takes cold showers and relies on a wood stove, primarily uses off-peak power and puts in peak power to the grid, and can shop and install the entire thing herself except the final hookup well, maybe she could eventually get ahead on it, but it'll still take awhile.  Since that isn't really the case for 95% of the people who put in solar arrays, it sounds like she's bought into a total wagonload of solar power sales bullshit.   

My thoughts exactly. And boy, oh boy did she have a tizzy fit when I told her what I thought.   :fuelfire:

She's also a wind farm advocate.   :thatsright:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 05:14:41 PM »

My thoughts exactly. And boy, oh boy did she have a tizzy fit when I told her what I thought.   :fuelfire:

She's also a wind farm advocate.   :thatsright:

Lots of folks are ... until they have to live by one.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 10:57:39 PM »
Some states, I believe GA is one of them, they don't pay you money for it.  They just give you credit for the power you generate.  Here, it'll take you a long while to break even.  In my case, you'd have to get it approved through the HOA(which is highly unlikely)
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."-----John Galt, Atlas Shrugged