Author Topic: Massachusetts ups fine for skipping [health] insurance  (Read 30202 times)

Offline Lacarnut

Re: Massachusetts ups fine for skipping [health] insurance
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »
The non-choice is actually thrust upon the taxpayer, as those who choose not to pay for coverage are inflicting their choice onto that taxpayer when they seek free care at a MA hospital emergency room.   

The consequence of no insurance is $1 billion + a year to the taxpayer. 

It is called Medicaid for those that can not afford health insurance. Obama care is not going to change that except to put millions on the rolls. What good does another layer of government meddling in the health care business do. In 10 years unless mandated care is not repealed, I predict single payer will become a reality. Costs will explode cause like I said the gov. can not run a whorehouse efficiently. That goes for the state of MA also.

Obamacare and MASScare is unconstitutional. No law that I know of forces you to buy a product. If the government can tell you have to buy health care, it can tell you what kind of car, house, toilet paper, etc. etc. to buy. Defense of this abomination is way off base. 

Offline true_blood

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »
It is called Medicaid for those that can not afford health insurance. Obama care is not going to change that except to put millions on the rolls. What good does another layer of government meddling in the health care business do. In 10 years unless mandated care is not repealed, I predict single payer will become a reality. Costs will explode cause like I said the gov. can not run a whorehouse efficiently. That goes for the state of MA also.  (I agree with you 100%. Single payer is what the commies in the White Mosque want. They are doing at it in small incremental steps.)

Obamacare and MASScare is unconstitutional. No law that I know of forces you to buy a product. If the government can tell you have to buy health care, it can tell you what kind of car, house, toilet paper, etc. etc. to buy. Defense of this abomination is way off base.
Great post. I agree that the gubberment should stay out of our lives and let the power of individual choice prevail.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 08:48:27 PM »
The non-choice is actually thrust upon the taxpayer, as those who choose not to pay for coverage are inflicting their choice onto that taxpayer when they seek free care at a MA hospital emergency room.   

The consequence of no insurance is $1 billion + a year to the taxpayer. 

Any person (legal or illegal) that reside in this country will not be turned away for emergency care. Gang bangers/drug dealers and others that are brought to the emergency for serious injuries are treated. If they can not pay, the hospital either writes it off or makes it up on those that can pay. This is how the system works. Medicaid also comes into play for the poor who can not pay. In my state, the federal government forks over 70% and the state picks up the remaining 30%. The misinformed that think that people are not getting treated for ER care are mistaken. All that require care, get it. Now, if you have a tummy ache with no insurance, you have a problem. The Mass care was a bad idea from the get go.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »
Any person (legal or illegal) that reside in this country will not be turned away for emergency care. Gang bangers/drug dealers and others that are brought to the emergency for serious injuries are treated. If they can not pay, the hospital either writes it off or makes it up on those that can pay. This is how the system works. Medicaid also comes into play for the poor who can not pay. In my state, the federal government forks over 70% and the state picks up the remaining 30%. The misinformed that think that people are not getting treated for ER care are mistaken. All that require care, get it. Now, if you have a tummy ache with no insurance, you have a problem. The Mass care was a bad idea from the get go.

Uh no.   The states bail out the hospitals for the free care they provide, or the hospital would no longer be in business.    To MA at the time health care reforms were passed, that amount hovered at the $1 billion mark.    Romney wanted to instead of writing a blank check to hospitals every year, use some of those funds to subsidize private health insurance premiums for those uninsured.   

The alternative to bailing out hospitals for free care is denying care to those who can't pay for it (privately or through insurance).   That was the point I was making.   

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 09:38:36 PM »
Uh no.   The states bail out the hospitals for the free care they provide, or the hospital would no longer be in business.    To MA at the time health care reforms were passed, that amount hovered at the $1 billion mark.    Romney wanted to instead of writing a blank check to hospitals every year, use some of those funds to subsidize private health insurance premiums for those uninsured.    

The alternative to bailing out hospitals for free care is denying care to those who can't pay for it (privately or through insurance).   That was the point I was making.  

In LA, hospitals write off accounts that can not be collected or they collect Medicaid funds from the state which represents funds from the Feds and the state. That's how medicaid works. The poor have Medicaid. Those that come into a hospital without private or governmet insurance are NOT reimbursed by this state. The hospital has to eat it.

My point was adding another level of government interference will raise the cost, and there are no two ways about it.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 06:42:23 AM »
This conversation has made me do some more research on this topic.  I found a fascinating article that I am going to post independently in a new thread for discussion. 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 06:53:18 AM »
I will post a link to this article here in which several GOP governors wish to opt out of Medicaid and use those funds instead to pay for private health insurance premiums for the uninsured.

http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/30/1/8.full

Oh my.   Doesn't that sound familiar?

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 11:13:35 AM »
To Massive-Two-Shitts:  If I can pay out-of-pocket, why am I penalized?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »
To Massive-Two-Shitts:  If I can pay out-of-pocket, why am I penalized?

Ask Deval Patrick.  

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »
To Massive-Two-Shitts:  If I can pay out-of-pocket, why am I penalized?

CONTROL. The Federal and State government wants to control your life, what products you can buy and what products are bad for you. We can thank Hillary and Mitt for getting the ball rolling. Obama care will lead to single payer if it is not de-funded or repealed. We are losing our freedoms, folks.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »
CONTROL. The Federal and State government wants to control your life, what products you can buy and what products are bad for you. We can thank Hillary and Mitt for getting the ball rolling. Obama care will lead to single payer if it is not de-funded or repealed. We are losing our freedoms, folks.

My thoughts also. I can't wait for the lawsuits and the LIBturds trying to show how I am REQUIRED to puchase a service.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »

Yep exactly. Ronald Reagan once warned that it will be through healthcare that the government will control our lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdLpem-AAs
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.