Author Topic: What's on your reading list?  (Read 5311 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
What's on your reading list?
« on: December 26, 2010, 01:38:27 AM »
What's on your to-do list of books you want to check out once they hit the shelves?

I'm looking for a copy of The Hunger Games, but it's not at my library.  I'll have to see if I can catch it on the after-Christmas sale at Barnes and Noble.  (There aren't any book stores in the ghetto.  I have to drive to the fancy part of town if I want something to read.)

Also, Amity Shlaes has a new book about Calvin Coolidge coming out soon.  She has a blog about it here.

How to Modify Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine is a book I should have picked up last year instead of the companion rebuild book.  I'm really interested in seeing what kind of stuff is buried in there.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline MrsSmith

Re: What's on your reading list?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 06:50:55 AM »
For Christmas, I received Sarah Palin's new book, and "The Faith and Values of Sarah Palin."  I think I'll be reading about Sarah!   :-) :-)

And we also now have Pres. Bush's book, "Decision Points."  I'll have to read that one when my hubby is done with it. 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 08:15:21 AM »
Got two books to add to the stack of 'going to read' ; 

"Your Government Failed You", by Richard A. Clark and;
"Broke", by Glenn Beck

Will be reading them after I finish the short read I'm doing now - "China Marine", by E.B. Sledge.  His sequel to "With the Old Breed", where he fought at Peleliu and Okinawa, about his experiences while stationed in China after the end of WWII, before finally being sent home.
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 09:18:27 AM »
I just started "Broke". I have about a dozen others to read still, and received 3 B&N gift cards for Christmas. I iz happy!

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 03:39:04 PM »
What's on your to-do list of books you want to check out once they hit the shelves?

I'm looking for a copy of The Hunger Games, but it's not at my library.  I'll have to see if I can catch it on the after-Christmas sale at Barnes and Noble.  (There aren't any book stores in the ghetto.  I have to drive to the fancy part of town if I want something to read.)

Also, Amity Shlaes has a new book about Calvin Coolidge coming out soon.  She has a blog about it here.

How to Modify Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine is a book I should have picked up last year instead of the companion rebuild book.  I'm really interested in seeing what kind of stuff is buried in there.

Walmart has the paperback Hunger Games for 6 something.  My kids (really me) got it for Christmas!
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 04:59:13 PM »
I couldn't find it at the store.  I did pick up a copy of Rick Riordan's newest Olympian book.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 09:42:09 PM »
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is still on my reading list.  I've heard really good things, so I just need to start reading.  I have the first book of the Sookie Stackhouse series that I want to try as well. 

I'm in charge of the bookstore at my church, and I'm hoping to to start doing book reviews in our bi-monthly bulletin this year, so I need to choose a book to read for that as well. 

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 10:12:18 PM »
I have been reading Vince Flynn's .... Mitch Rapp Series, still have his newest book to go the American Assassin..It is the 11th book in the series of political thrillers, if you love American and believe we should be fighting the terroist you will be a big fan of Mitch Rapp and the CIA.....

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2010/10/book-review-american-assassin-by-vince-flynn.html
A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 03:53:03 PM »
"While America Aged" by Roger Lowenstein.

Got it for Christmas. 

Only turned a few pages but like it already.  :-) 

NYT Book Review
Empty Nest Egg

By JEFF MADRICK
Published: May 4, 2008
The future of Americans’ pensions has not become a serious campaign issue so far this election season. It’s hard to get retirement issues to the front of the line when the nation faces soaring health care costs, global warming, $100-a-barrel oil, a likely recession and collapsing housing prices. There is also the little matter of the worst credit crisis since the 1930s.

~snip~

Paul Sancya/Associated Press

WHILE AMERICA AGED

How Pension Debts Ruined General Motors, Stopped the NYC Subways, Bankrupted San Diego, and Loom as the Next Financial Crisis.

By Roger Lowenstein.

274 pp. The Penguin Press. $25.95.
That is too bad, because, as Roger Lowenstein nicely illustrates in “While America Aged,” the country “is sitting on a retirement time bomb.” He is not talking about Social Security, which, he writes, is among the more manageable of future concerns. He is addressing the large-scale failure of America’s once-enviable private pension system.

~snip~

Link here>

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 04:04:08 PM »
I have at least 150 books in my TBR stack and just ordered some more books off Amazon this morning.  Hey, my daughter gave me a giftcard.  She dedicated it to "Mom, to enable your addiction" :thatsright:

Having finally received Book Five, the series finale, I am going back and rereading all the previous books in the Tairen Souls series by C.L. Wilson.  First one is Lord of the Fading Lands.  It kind of reminds me of Tolkein, albeit much more romantic and free of dwarves, orcs and the like.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 05:00:33 PM »
2 new cookbooks that I got for Christmas....one on Scandanavian cooking and the other a long time New York diner.

American Assassin
David Baldacci's new book that I can't remember the name of  :thatsright:
And I'm hoping my favorite authors will have some new ones out soon.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Rainbow Rising

• This is how I felt then. It is how I feel today.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 01:56:45 AM »
This week I'm going to start reading "Dracula The Un-Dead" by Dacre Stoker.  It's for my book club meeting at the end of the month.

Other books that I'd like to get to pretty soon are "The Harlequin" by Laurell K. Hamilton, "America Alone" by Mark Steyn, and "Moonlight Mile" by Dennis Lehane.  I'm especially interested in that last one because it's the sequel to "Gone Baby Gone," one of my favorite Lehane books.
"Civility" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

"Hate speech" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

Offline Karin

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 03:58:09 PM »
I got "Broke" and "Pinheads and Patriots" for Christmas.  Halfway through P&P.  Also got the new Stephen King "Full Dark No Stars."  Read it all on New Year's Day.  Pretty good, the last story is very disturbing.  I haven't liked his stuff for a while, but I was pretty engrossed in this one.   It was completely apolitical. 

Never finished "Under the Dome," a gift from last year.  I finally googled the ending, and am I glad I didn't waste my time.  Sounded lame. 

Offline Varokhâr

• Tea Party hearty, dude!
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 04:42:07 PM »
Still working on The IRA by Tim Pat Coogan and The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive And The Secret History Of The KGB by Christopher Andrew and Vasili Mitrokhin, and considering this for my B&N gift card:

Deist. Libertarian. Patriot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 04:58:04 PM »
I've had enough of deep reading for the moment so the book I'm currently reading on Kindle is "Love to Love You Bradys: The Bizarre Story of The Brady Bunch Variety Hour". :-)
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »
I'm still trying to get through The Disciple. Not because it isn't any good, but I haven't just sat down with it and read it until I finish it, instead of doing something else. Don't know if I will make it though, it's "too real". It's  a novel, but it's about whether or not Iran has armed nuclear warhead missles.  :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 06:45:28 PM »
Took a break from reading for awhile, so just finished "China Marine", by E.B. Sledge.  Have now started :The Terrible Hours", by Peter Maas; about the submarine rescue of the USS Squalus crew, just before World War II
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 07:10:51 PM »
I've had enough of deep reading for the moment so the book I'm currently reading on Kindle is "Love to Love You Bradys: The Bizarre Story of The Brady Bunch Variety Hour". :-)

You're joking!   :lmao:
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade