Author Topic: What's for Christmas Dinner??  (Read 19634 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: What's for Christmas Dinner??
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2010, 08:22:05 AM »
Thanks for sharing BG!  Hope you hare having a lovely Christmas!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2010, 08:31:28 AM »
Thanks Issa! hope you and everyone are having a wonderful Christmas too.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline debk

« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2010, 04:55:49 PM »
Dinner turned out great last night, but we never made it to Midnight Mass.  :(  Last guests left about 1 and the time T and I finished up the kitchen and putting the last stuff away, I got to bed about 2....totally exhausted.

Got up this morning, made Danish pastry and we went over to my daughter's to have brunch with them and open presents from each other. Came home about 2 and have been on the couch since.  :yawn:

2 new cookbooks to read .... a Scandanavian Baking Cookbook that my friend brought me from MN, and a New York diner one that my daughter found for me....I'm such a happy camper!!!!  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

My ham turned out fantabulous...M said the beef tenderloin was terrific...but he liked the ham even better!

I left it in the roaster on 150 all day. It was just enough to keep the glaze and juices warm, and I kept going out and swishing the bag around and getting the liquid up into the slices. It was definitely a  :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2010, 05:34:13 PM »
Kept it simple since it's just me and the critters this weekend.

Last night was dry-aged ribeye, loaded baked potato, and salad.

Today I kept it pretty simple--bacon and eggs for breakfast, snacks of frozen appetizers, shrimp, and bread-and-butter pickles, a bottle of Rogue Chocolate Stout, and for dinner, turkey breast (on the bone), stuffing, mashed taters, peas, salad, and rolls.  Cookies for dessert.

Still got a ton of leftovers.  Turkey sandwich, anyone?  I'm heading down to the gas station to fill up.  Blizzard watch here, and might turn into a blizzard warning before long.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2010, 06:20:18 PM »
ours was Christmas lunch since I was working tonight.  Ham, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, pecan pie, pumkin pie and candy that Santa left.
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."-----John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2010, 06:32:38 PM »
We're so full, we ate so much, and I can't believe how much ham we have left over and that's after sending people home with a lot of it. Looks like we'll be having ham sandwiches and ham dinners for a few nights.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline debk

« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »
We're so full, we ate so much, and I can't believe how much ham we have left over and that's after sending people home with a lot of it. Looks like we'll be having ham sandwiches and ham dinners for a few nights.

Daughter's family is supposed to come to dinner Monday night to eat leftovers! I sure hope so, I've got a lottttttttt of desserts left.   :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline debk

« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »
Oh my.

This thread's gone all over the place, covering just about everything and anything.

Anyway.

For some peculiar reason, when I was growing up, a usual Christmas dinner included pineapple chunks dipped in creme de menthe.

All my life, I've never seen it anywhere but among my family.

I'm guessing it's a Pennsylvania thing, as the parents and older brothers and sisters were from there.

It's definitely not anything one might find in Nebraska.

Frank....my mother used to take pineapple ice cream topping and add creme de menthe to it, and serve it over ice cream when she had bridge group dinner.

I always hoped for leftovers so that I would get a bit too. That stuff was wonderful!! I had forgotten about it, until I read this. Thanks for the memory.  :blowkiss:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »
Daughter's family is supposed to come to dinner Monday night to eat leftovers! I sure hope so, I've got a lottttttttt of desserts left.   :-)

Yep, we do too, we have a 1/4 cheesecake, and 1/2 of an apple and pumpkin pie leftover.

Offline debk

« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2010, 07:10:43 PM »
Yep, we do too, we have a 1/4 cheesecake, and 1/2 of an apple and pumpkin pie leftover.

I usually make at least one NY cheesecake and maybe a Grasshopper cheesecake.

Yesterday morning, I made the whole NY cheesecake batter, but instead of putting it in a springform...I made cupcakes!

Out of the one recipe...

36 regular size cupcakes. Did a pecan cinnamon crust, the cheesecake filling. Baked for 15 minutes at 350, took out, put on the sour cream topping and back in the oven for another 5. Did a raspberry chambord sauce that I put in a squirt bottle on the table.

48 mini size cupcakes. Oreo cookie crumb crust, cheesecake filling with mini semisweet chocolate chips, baked 12 minutes at 350. Made a topping of sour cream and melted Baker's German chocolate.

24 mini's. Oreo cookie crumb crust, cheesecake filling with green creme de menthe, white creme de cocoa, baked at 12 minutes at 350. Made topping with sour cream, melted white chocolate chips and melted Andes mint chips. Had to add more white chocolate chips though, because using half of each was just toooooo minty and overpowered the white chocolate.

Those little ones just were disappearing!!!

I have a bunch of creme brulees and mincemeat tarts, and some pecan tarts, too. Most of the candy and cookies went as gifts to others.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2010, 07:31:01 PM »
What an awesome idea making cupcakes instead of cakes.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2010, 08:14:23 PM »
I made a small standing rib roast and we had shrimp & loaded baked potatoes. I made a honey pecan pie that wasn't too bad (diabetic friendly). Still have half of the standing rib roast left. Just had pie and coffee.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rainbow Rising

• This is how I felt then. It is how I feel today.
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2010, 12:01:44 AM »
For me Christmas is a two-day affair: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  On Christmas Eve I kept it pretty traditional and made seafood stew with scallops and shrimp, simmered in a lovely broth of tomatoes, red wine, chicken broth, and the juice of an orange.  I’ve got to admit, the idea of putting orange juice in a seafood stew gave me pause, but the results were delicious.  The juice added a subtle sweetness and perfume that really jazzed up the broth.  I’m thrilled with the way it came out.

The Christmas Day dinner was a little different.  I used a recipe I found in a James Beard cookbook: Turkey Cutlets "Papagallo."  The cutlets were lightly floured and quickly browned in a pan.  Then I topped each cutlet with a thin slice of ham, some sauteed mushrooms, and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.  Then I added a bit of chicken broth and covered the pan, letting it simmer for about 5 minutes.  The results were very tasty indeed.  The cheese melted into the ham and mushrooms, and the turkey was nice and tender.  On the side I had some "smashed" potatoes and wilted Swiss chard with a little olive oil and garlic.  Both nights I ended the meal with a piece of Italian grain pie.  It was a very satisfying Christmas, meal-wise.   I'm going to make that turkey recipe again, and I plan on checking out more James Beard recipes as well.  :-)
"Civility" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

"Hate speech" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"