Author Topic: Snacks! What have I done?????  (Read 23388 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Snacks! What have I done?????
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:05:22 PM »
Against the BF's wishes, I invited a few people over for NYE.  Min 2, max 5, in addition to myself and BF.  It was a spur of the moment thing, and needs to look like such.  Of course, I now have a week and a half to freak out only to myself.   :hyper:

I am thinking heavy snacks.  Fortunately I am off on NYE, so I have some time to get stuff together.  Have 2 lbs of shrimp in the freezer, and bacon, so bacon Wrapped Shrimp?  I also have ham, roast beef, pork loin, hamburger, and crawfish in the freezer.  I could prepare some ham, for sandwiches, or do the shredded beef with pepperocini in the crock pot. 

Ideas anyone???  I also have some puff pastry I bought on a whim.  I lean towards the beef and pepperocini, but I do that all the time, so I was thinking something different, even if I just baked it ahead, so it was pretty sliced, with cheese and horseradish. 

I am beginning to feel like I woulda been just fine with falling asleep early.  DAMN!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Snacks! What have I done?????
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:47:18 PM »
One of my fav snacks is a piece of ham, with a jalapeno and a slice of swiss cheese rolled into it.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:48:28 PM »
Hamburger = meatballs

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »
Hamburger = meatballs
That is what I am thinking.  I am going to do everything within my power to only use food I already have.  Frozen cauliflower or  broccoli anyone?

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:51:31 PM »
My parents had a housewarming party done by a catering company.  One of their finger foods was some of those canned croissants with warm slices of homemade roast brisket smothered with pesto.  It wasn't bad.  There's always the standby meatballs in BBQ sauce.  I'm partial to fondue pots... they're easy.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 08:51:54 PM »
frozen??  How about a broccoli & mushroom quiche ??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:52:56 PM »
Ohh, and what kind of beef roast is it ??

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »
Yup.  Frozen.  I could do a quiche, the guests aren't anti-quiche.  I have a whole bottle of Raspberry Chipotle sauce so that could be good for sausage, or meatballs.  If it is only two, I could just grill steaks.  If it more than two, I can't.  I so drank a bottle of stupid on Saturday.   :thatsright:  It was hoppy.  I couldn't help it.

Chuck roast Thor. 

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 09:03:06 PM »
well............ you COULD make some chili out of the chuck roast and have one of the guests bring over a few small bags of Fritos and make chili packs......  Nothing more Texan than chili packs...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 09:07:45 PM »
I like my quiche a little more substantial than the ones my family makes.  My recipe is to layer the bottom of a pie crust with crumbled bacon, fill it with beaten eggs and a little heavy cream, diced bits of boiled potatoes, and top it off with mozzarella cheese and small dollops of pesto.  I'll usually make two large pies with a package of bacon and a couple potatoes.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 09:17:58 PM »
Try the Stromboli recipe I posted, you can use them for Appetizers and everyone loves them.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 12:14:20 AM »
I guess my invite got lost in the mail.  :wink:
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 01:33:12 AM »
I guess my invite got lost in the mail.  :wink:

Don't feel bad, I wasn't even on the list...... 

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 08:13:12 AM »
Damn y'all.  (Mike and Thor)  THIS is exactly why I was told NOT to invite anyone, because, once I invite one, 20 show up.   :thatsright:

Now I am gonna feel bad for not inviting y'all.   :bawl:

At this moment it looks like 2, if that is the case, steaks go on the grill, if it isn't, either chili, or shrimp. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 08:54:13 AM »
Well, hell, if snacks is the only problem you've got, you can just get creative and tell your guests that the cost of admission is to bring those snacks off a special list.

You've got the shrimp cocktail down and you've got that chuck-roast chili thing. Quiche.

The only thing missing is Fritos. I'll bring 'em. And a six-pack of Pilsener Urquell. Oh, and a bottle of cocktail sauce for the shrimp.

Don't worry. Homie don't do shrimp.

:-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 08:56:53 AM »
Well, hell, if snacks is the only problem you've got, you can just get creative and tell your guests that the cost of admission is to bring those snacks off a special list.

You've got the shrimp cocktail down and you've got that chuck-roast chili thing. Quiche.

The only thing missing is Fritos. I'll bring 'em. And a six-pack of Pilsener Urquell. Oh, and a bottle of cocktail sauce for the shrimp.

Don't worry. Homie don't do shrimp.

:-)

Buddy, if you (and Mike and Thor) were coming to my house, I'd be cooking something better than snacks.  That, I guarontee!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 09:00:30 AM »
Buddy, if you (and Mike and Thor) were coming to my house, I'd be cooking something better than snacks.  That, I guarontee!

You'd have to fight me and Thor for access to your kitchen. One of my things is investigating new kitchens and determining how many "sharp" knives have been idly tossed in a drawer.

:argh:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 09:10:42 AM »
You'd have to fight me and Thor for access to your kitchen. One of my things is investigating new kitchens and determining how many "sharp" knives have been idly tossed in a drawer.

:argh:

I could save you some time on that one.  I have no sharp knives.  :-)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 09:11:51 AM »
I could save you some time on that one.  I have no sharp knives.  :-)

*sigh*

I've been known to bring my own.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 11:49:08 AM »
As Eupher can testify, all of my good knives are kept in a special knife holder/ organizer. A dull knife is more "damngerous" than a sharp knife. I still fail to see why women can't take care of knives....

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 12:21:01 PM »
As Eupher can testify, all of my good knives are kept in a special knife holder/ organizer. A dull knife is more "damngerous" than a sharp knife. I still fail to see why women can't take care of knives....

Cuz I ain't got none.  Well, none that need taken care of.  I have a bread knife, serrated, it never gets dull, an electric knife, that stays in it's protector, and two others of no consequence.  My steak knives have their own holder, and they get handwashed. 

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 12:24:30 PM »
Cuz I ain't got none.  Well, none that need taken care of.  I have a bread knife, serrated, it never gets dull, an electric knife, that stays in it's protector, and two others of no consequence.  My steak knives have their own holder, and they get handwashed. 

That's better than most...

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 12:34:21 PM »
That's better than most...

Thank you. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 01:36:41 PM »
I paid $0.60 per inch to have a serrated bread knife professionally sharpened.

I was stunned as to how much better it was at slicing, yep, bread.

Just sayin'.....

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 01:40:47 PM »
I paid $0.60 per inch to have a serrated bread knife professionally sharpened.

I was stunned as to how much better it was at slicing, yep, bread.

Just sayin'.....

God Bless Eupher!  BF has that friggin special Wusthof sharpener thingy.  I will tell him to bring it the next time he is over, so he can sharpen the knifes, k?  He won't release it to me to do.  I sliced my finger to the bone a few years ago with a butter knife, and he hasn't let me forget it.  Stupid spice jar.