Author Topic: Solstice lunar eclipse set for December 21st  (Read 5594 times)

Offline thundley4

Solstice lunar eclipse set for December 21st
« on: December 17, 2010, 02:31:59 PM »
Everyone knows that "the moon on the breast of new-fallen snow gives the luster of mid-day to objects below." That is, except during a lunar eclipse.
See for yourself on Dec. 21st, the first day of northern winter, when the full Moon passes almost dead-center through Earth's shadow. For 72 minutes of eerie totality, an amber light will play across the snows of North America, throwing landscapes into an unusual state of ruddy shadow.

The eclipse begins on Tuesday morning, Dec. 21st, at 1:33 am EST (Monday, Dec. 20th, at 10:33 pm PST). At that time, Earth's shadow will appear as a dark-red bite at the edge of the lunar disk. It takes about an hour for the "bite" to expand and swallow the entire Moon. Totality commences at 02:41 am EST (11:41 pm PST) and lasts for 72 minutes.

If you're planning to dash out for only one quick look -­ it is December, after all -­ choose this moment: 03:17 am EST (17 minutes past midnight PST). That's when the Moon will be in deepest shadow, displaying the most fantastic shades of coppery red.
Link

Offline cavegal

Re: Solstice lunar eclipse set for December 21st
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »
Thank you for the heads up..

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 02:41:46 PM »
Thank you for the heads up..

Yeah right. Are you going outside at that time? My ass isn't.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 02:59:47 PM »
So, the longest night of the year will be moonless for over an hour.  Kinda Creepy  :whistling:  Maybe those Mayans were off by a couple years  :tongue:

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:08:44 PM »
Cool. I sat ouside with a few friends and some adult beverages and saw the last one.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »
Can't wait to see it.  :)
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »
Something in Revelations that the moon will be blood red.........

:TZ:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline cavegal

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 06:04:44 PM »
Yeah right. Are you going outside at that time? My ass isn't.
I get up usually a few times during the night so if I remember I will look outside. If it is a clear night.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 01:48:35 PM »
So, the longest night of the year will be moonless for over an hour.  Kinda Creepy  :whistling:  Maybe those Mayans were off by a couple years  :tongue:

There was some speculation that the Mayan calendar was off as much as four years in comparison to the Gregorian calendar.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 02:27:59 PM »
How often do you get to witness an event that has not been seen since the year 1378,  over half a millennium, 632 years ago? Of course, weather will make or break the viewing, and it appears the much of the west coast of the USA will be socked in with a significant winter storm at that time.

Here’s the USA forecast for cloud cover. Blue is clearest, gray is cloud cover.

For those that can see it, the moon will likely appear as a deep coppery red, like this 2003 eclipse photo at left. ...
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/12/17/lunar-eclipse-and-winter-solstice-to-coincide-first-time-since-1378/

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 02:42:56 PM »
Well, it should be clear where I live. I know I'll be outside with the cellphone camera.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 02:46:14 PM »
Very cool.  I'm going to have to dig my tripod out of the closet.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 03:29:34 PM »
Very cool.  I'm going to have to dig my tripod out of the closet.

I've tried taking pictures of full moons before, but have never figured out the right settings.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 03:33:20 PM »
From what I have read, it's similar to taking pictures of fireworks.  Minimum aperture (F32) and a long shutter speed (prefferably manual, held open with a remote release) and focus set on infinity (the sideways 8 on your lens).  I've never had an opportunity to actually try it, so I'm not entirely sure if this is correct.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:35:34 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 03:46:21 PM »
I might spend some time tonight trying to figure out the settings for a digital camera.  I've only messed with the PASM settings once or twice.  My area is supposed to have cloud cover for the eclipse anyway.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 04:02:38 PM »
Not being far from Mike, I hope to enjoy the total lunar eclipse. I'll have to get out my digital camera and figure it out, too. I have the box nearby and I'm certain the instructions are in there, too. It always helps when one RTFM. I also have a tripod, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to go up the hill for a better view/ pictures. Down here in the Red River valley kind of sucks as far as sky watching.

• Oh snap!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 05:19:08 PM »
According to the cloud cover map, all of Nevada will be cloudy.  I am not paying any attention to that since Tuesday is a ways off still.  This is a time I really wish I had a high end camera.  My camera is a typical point and shoot digital.  I'll still play around with settings and see if I can get a decent shot.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 02:51:29 PM »
Projected to be cloudy here.  It was short of a total eclipse but really wasn't dramatic in effect at all, just made the Moon look different and cut down the ambient light for awhile.

God knows what kind of crazy hi-jinx the hillbilly Muslims in back-country Afghanistan and Pakistan will get up to over it.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 03:04:28 PM »
Not being far from Mike, I hope to enjoy the total lunar eclipse. I'll have to get out my digital camera and figure it out, too. I have the box nearby and I'm certain the instructions are in there, too. It always helps when one RTFM. I also have a tripod, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to go up the hill for a better view/ pictures. Down here in the Red River valley kind of sucks as far as sky watching.

You're a man.

Real men don't RTFM. 

I live with two who frequently tell me that  "real men don't RTFM...it is unnecessary". 

Yep...that's why I read it and know how to do something sooner than they do..... :yahoo:

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 04:46:55 PM »
I really wish I hadn't had to sell my Nikon and tripod.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

• Oh snap!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 05:28:13 PM »
Looks like we are going to miss it in Nevada.  :(

Damn rainy weather from California. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 05:44:49 PM »
I'm going to miss it too, I think, but I might stay up just in case.  Currently , we are getting some freezing mist.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 05:57:52 PM »
I'm going to miss it too, I think, but I might stay up just in case.  Currently , we are getting some freezing mist.

Y'all's weather is heading this way....rain, sleet, snow possible here by morning.  California's weather should be getting here Christmas Eve - Christmas Morning.... :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »
I never saw it as it was cold and cloudy outside.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 12:20:23 AM »
I never saw it as it was cold and cloudy outside.

Same here, with a very cold drizzle added in... :(