Author Topic: So, I wanna be a biker.  (Read 17497 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
So, I wanna be a biker.
« on: December 16, 2010, 10:27:54 AM »
I've riden motorcycles before, nothing fancy mind you. Just a dirt bike back when I was a kid. I had a sportsbike when I was much younger and an enlisted soldier in the Regiment. But I got out of it about the time I went to college and then I got married, and then Desert Storm showed up, and then I went back into the Army and then we had kids, and then... you know how the story goes.

Now, I am 46 years old and getting ready to retire and I've got the time, and the money to get a bike. My wife is also thinking about getting one, and it can be a thing we do together. Well, maybe not together as she is now unhappy with her life and doesn't know what she wants. I figure some day I will come home and she'll just be gone. But I am not going to dwell on that, because her issues are hers and no matter what I do, she'll deside her path when she does.

BUT- I am going to get a bike this spring. I am torn between a few models, cost being one of the issues, but not the most major one. Of course, I am looking at Harleys. You pay for the name for an American made bike. Factory issue is pretty plain, but there are a lot of add ons to make it look cool.

I am looking for a cruiser model. Something to ride around town. I really like the look of the Honda Fury.

It runs about 13k for the factory model and is just ****ing sweet. The Harley I am looking at is the Street Bob

It's about 15k and almost the same stat wize as the Fury.

It comes down to the question, do I pay for the name to get a bike that really calls to me?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: So, I wanna be a biker.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »
I'd look used first, dutch.  Guys who in this economy can't afford their toys anymore are turning them in or selling them CHEAP.

Seems like the Harley dealership in my town is selling as many or more USED bikes than new ones.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »
Yep, that's a good way to actually begin riding. Start off with something that you can afford to get banged up.

Say what you will, you're a beginner. It takes a whole 'nother set of skills to develop, mostly being alert and defensive 100% of the time. Strongly suggest a motorcycle safety course, even if it sounds *****.

Every time I saddle up, I ride away with the firm thought planted between my ears that every ****ing cage driver out there is out to kill me.[/b]

All that said, I'm a rice burner kinda guy. Harleys are too big, too expensive, too heavy, and too much. I just want to ride, I don't have a personal statement to make. Rice burners are generally more reliable than their American competition - though I'll say that Harley has come a long way since their AMF days.

BTW, I ride a 2003 Honda 919 - Honda doesn't import them anymore. It's a naked bike meaning it's not a crotch rocket and it's not a cruiser - something in between. With 100 bhp at the rear wheel, plenty of low-end torque, fuel injection and water cooling, it's got over 11K on it and all I've ever done to it was lube the chain, change the oil, the tires, and the chain (once). Oh, I added some coolant once.

This bike has more power than I'll ever need, but it's fun to know it's there.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »
Yeah, I would go used too, just because of the cash outlay. 

Harley may be the biggest "American" name, but as I understand, a lot of their stuff comes from China, big shock eh? 

Meh, I don't really care where Harley is made, because my favorites are Indians.  They also happen to be made in the USA. 

For the record, I don't ride a bike.  I don't even know any one that has one at the moment, since my buddy messed his knee up in Hallett, OK racing WERA.  But, I still think the Indian is one of the most beautiful pieces of machinery I have ever seen. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 11:33:25 AM »
Oh, I am a beginning rider, no doubts about that. I've got maybe 500 miles on a bike. Maybe. And that is from 20 years ago- or longer. There are a lot of used bikes in the area and I am looking at them. But I still lean towards the cool looking vs the normal looking. I'm not looking to join a MC so having to own a US made bike isn't a requirement.

I've got to get rid of some stuff in the garage though. Way too much crap in there. Anyone want any WWII reenacting crap?

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 11:42:56 AM »
I've ridden street bikes since I was 16.  I've never worried about status or how others view it, I just went with what I enjoyed riding.  So give them a test ride just like you would a new car and go with your gut.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
Definitely take a test drive on some different models... make sure you get a bike that will fit you.  I had a stock Honda Shadow that was just a little too small.  My legs were just long enough to make riding for long periods uncomfortable.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 12:24:52 PM »
My first  (and only) bike was a Kawasaki KZ 550. It wasn't a big bruiser and couldn't keep up with the "Big Boys", but it did what I needed it to do and that was get me from El Cajon to Coronado (NAS North Island). I stole it from a guy who had laid it down and damaged one of the foot pegs, the after market exhaust and the front brake handle for $500. He still had the original factory exhaust, so all I was out was the cost of a junkyard foot peg, a brake handle, and some of my labor. He said it had developed a "high speed wobble". ::) Checking things out, I discovered that the front fork air pressure was way out of equalization. (Probably WHY he developed a high speed wobble) I never had a problem with that bike. All I ever had to do to it was lube the chain, buy a rear tire and have the carbs sync'ed. It was stolen one morning in August of 1985. After that, I moved to MN for recruiting and didn't think that riding for three or four months out of the year justified another motorcycle. IF you can find what you want in the used flavor, by all means, get used. There are too many deals out there due to the poor economy. (Reiterating what others have said)

The other thing, take the damned motorcycle safety class offered on the base, if you can, after you get your bike. If not, take one elsewhere. While the class was kind of a PITA, it probably saved my ass more than once in the San Diego traffic. Like Eupher said, they're [cagers] out to KILL you!! I STILL use some of the concepts that I learned from that class even while driving my truck. That class STILL keeps my ass out of trouble.

I miss my bike!!  :bawl:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 12:58:01 PM »
Hell, why not THIS.....

Oh!!! I thought you'd said, "So, I wanna be a piker"

My bad.  :-)

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 12:59:42 PM »
Hell, why not THIS.....

Oh!!! I thought you'd said, "So, I wanna be a piker"

My bad.  :-)

Only in California.........  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 01:06:37 PM »
The other thing, take the damned motorcycle safety class offered on the base, if you can, after you get your bike. If not, take one elsewhere. While the class was kind of a PITA, it probably saved my ass more than once in the San Diego traffic. Like Eupher said, they're [cagers] out to KILL you!! I STILL use some of the concepts that I learned from that class even while driving my truck. That class STILL keeps my ass out of trouble.
+1
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 02:01:47 PM »
Get one of these:

http://www.bikesreview.net/2010/03/honda-cbr-1100-xx-super-blackbird-top.html

I think Honda made them up through the mid 2000's. They sell for around $4000-$5500. I know a guy that picked one up for $3800.    :bawl:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »
I took the safety class from Harley. Great class. You don't even need a bike as they provide them. That and a trip to the Colorado DMV and I had my endorcement.The classes on Carson were backlogged for six months. I could have gotten on the list for free, being an officer, but my wife and I took the class from the dealer leaving two spots open for enlisted joes to take.

They have an advanced riders course I will prob'ly take this summer as well.

I am leaning towards the Honda chopper. You should read the reviews, they are pretty good.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 05:12:31 PM »
Bear in mind, a chopper isn't going to provide any kind of comfort on any sort of trip over a couple of hours.

As far as the course, that's fine and dandy, but you probably missed out a LOT by not having to do the practical riding exercises. That's where I learned the most.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »
Bear in mind, a chopper isn't going to provide any kind of comfort on any sort of trip over a couple of hours.

As far as the course, that's fine and dandy, but you probably missed out a LOT by not having to do the practical riding exercises. That's where I learned the most.

Totally agree about the chopper thing. You get your ass perched on one of those paper-thin seats with those slugs pounding away underneath you and you start feeling like hammered horseshit within an hour (or less). Choppers ain't meant to be ridden but for a little while, then it's time to get off the thing, drink some beer, and kick some Peter Fonda ass.

If that's your bag, great. But I'd like to be able to ride a couple hours without going numb.

Here's my bike:

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 11:14:25 PM »
the course we took was two days of classroom work to pass the written test, and four days of riding to pass the riding test.

I amnot interested in getting a sports bike. I've had one and while it was ok, it don't do anything for me. I am looking for something to ride around town, a bar hopper, with the capability when I do want to gofor a longer ride to handle well. I've read pleanty of reviews on various crusiers and it's down to the street bob or the Honda.

I really like the look of the chopper. Take a look at the reviews for it online, and ther is a vid for it as well. I'll still have to do some test riding before I choose.

But, what is it about the concept of the biker lifestyle that appeals to me? I'm not talking about Sons of Anarchy here. Not joining a outlaw biker club. I am getting fed the **** up with todays' life and all the ongoing bullshit I see in the news everyday. When I feel like my own government doesn't give a shit if we win the wars as long as they can score political points off the bodycount, I've just about had enough to say **** You and take the different road.

I got no idea how the guys coming back from Vietnam felt, with all the shit they went through, but I am telling you there are alot of us today feeling that we've been sold out. All I want is the ability to live the rest of my life the way I want to and I see the government getting more and more into my business.

I may want to, this summer, put a few things on the back of my bike and take off for a week, just driving and looking at the sights. Where is America going to be in twenty years?

What do you guys think that the 'biker' lifestyle is about?

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 04:29:47 AM »
I'm thinking one like this.

"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 05:04:40 AM »
Well, the classic biker lifestyle is just what you described, Dutch. **** you, I've had it with your bullshit, I'm my own man and I'll do things MY way. A big independent streak and a willingness and a desire for bugs in the teeth. Usually a helmet is scorned, but there are those who swear by them (I do) and that's okay too.

There are the weekend warriors, the guys who have their day jobs during the week then put on the do-rag and hop on the Harley and head off into the sunset (just as long as he's home by dark, sayeth the wife), immortalized by such recent films as Wild Hogs, starring John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, and Tim Allen.

I felt that way after my first divorce in 1982, and did a LOT of riding all over Texas. It felt good, even being whapped in the neck by a bumblebee at speed. From Ft. Hood I rode all the way out to Ft. Stockton in one sitting and slept under the stars with my .38 at my side in case any critters got too friendly.

It was a great experience and one that I'll always remember.

You owe it to yourself to do what you gotta do, Dutch.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 09:42:19 AM »
I bought my motorcycle for more of a utilitarian purpose and it helped save on money for gas. Traffic in San Diego was TERRIBLE when I was stationed there. Then, there was the Coronado Bridge that USED to have a toll on it. Traffic would be backed up the complete length of the bridge and sometimes on to I-5. Most of them were cagers. With a motorcycle, I could split lanes and not have to worry about being stuck in traffic. The cagers always got pissed off about that. Oh ****ing well. I DID have a few weekend getaways throughout SoCal and into Mexico.

Dutch, only YOU can decide what's right for you. That said, if you do intend on doing a lot of riding, get something comfortable. If you plan on taking someone with you, make sure it is comfortable for them.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 11:31:44 AM »
I am wondering how much returning war vets had to do with the rise of the biker lifestyle.You first see the 'bikers' in the late 40s and 50s. The guys returning from four years of war would have had a hard time fitting back into society. Even those who did try were never really the same, where they?

My dad was one of the guys who came back from Korea. I see alot of him in Red Foreman from that 70s show. He got married in 1959 and settled into working the ranch, devilering rural mail, and hunting. What he and his friends really enjoyed was coyote hunting using dogs and pick-up trucks. the dogs ran the coyotes down and the trucks followed them, racing across the countryside of the sand hills. Fast Speed, danger, and death. If you would have given them motorcycles they would have been happy.

The stereotypical biker is a vietnam vet. Coming back to the USA and not fitting in at all. The trill of combat being gone, the were looking for a rush, and the brotherhoodthey'd left in combat.

I wonder now how many returning vets from Iraq and Afghanistan will pick up on the lifestyle to fill up the emptiness they feel inside? I know what I feel on getting back is a loneliness from people I can trust, feelings that nobody really gives a shit about what we went through, and the feeling my own government is just playing with our lives. I miss the feeling of combat. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't been there. I don't want to go back. BUT, I have never felt more alive than then.

I miss my brothers. There are a few guys here at work who where there. Space operations isn't full of combat Infantry types. So, alot of the guys here did their time in Baghdad and didn't go out on patrols every day.
I guess I am looking for somewhere I feel like I fit in and there are people lik me.

Does that make sense?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 12:32:52 PM »
I am wondering how much returning war vets had to do with the rise of the biker lifestyle.You first see the 'bikers' in the late 40s and 50s. The guys returning from four years of war would have had a hard time fitting back into society. Even those who did try were never really the same, where they?

My dad was one of the guys who came back from Korea. I see alot of him in Red Foreman from that 70s show. He got married in 1959 and settled into working the ranch, devilering rural mail, and hunting. What he and his friends really enjoyed was coyote hunting using dogs and pick-up trucks. the dogs ran the coyotes down and the trucks followed them, racing across the countryside of the sand hills. Fast Speed, danger, and death. If you would have given them motorcycles they would have been happy.

The stereotypical biker is a vietnam vet. Coming back to the USA and not fitting in at all. The trill of combat being gone, the were looking for a rush, and the brotherhoodthey'd left in combat.

I wonder now how many returning vets from Iraq and Afghanistan will pick up on the lifestyle to fill up the emptiness they feel inside? I know what I feel on getting back is a loneliness from people I can trust, feelings that nobody really gives a shit about what we went through, and the feeling my own government is just playing with our lives. I miss the feeling of combat. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't been there. I don't want to go back. BUT, I have never felt more alive than then.

Actually, the biker crowd started with the returning WWII vets.

I miss my brothers. There are a few guys here at work who where there. Space operations isn't full of combat Infantry types. So, alot of the guys here did their time in Baghdad and didn't go out on patrols every day.
I guess I am looking for somewhere I feel like I fit in and there are people lik me.

Does that make sense?

Good luck on that, Dutch. I mean that in a serious manner. There is exactly ONE Sailor in my area that has the same or near the same experiences as I have had. He was a year ahead on me in high school and I also ran across him on Recruiting Duty. He even sent a guy up from Denison, TX to Minneapolis so he could join the Navy. I was the one that filled out his DD Form 1966 and "officially" recruited him. NRD Dallas couldn't use him at that time and the kid really wanted to join. You could TRY the local VFW or American Legion. You MIGHT find some brethren there. My local VFW is filled with Viet Nam Vets and older. I recruited the same Sailor I mentioned before into the VFW.

Riding is a lot of fun and you may be involved in another trend. Hard to say.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 04:13:18 PM »
I did mention bikers started up in the late 40s, Thor. The Wild Ones, etc.

What about biker fashion, since I am still layed up on bed rest, can't talk, and football had Broncos vs Raiders.

Do you have to dress the part to be the part? AND, what does that even mean, anyway?

Boots and jeans only make sense. For whatever reason engineer boots seem to be the 'biker' boot. I wear a pair of old Infantry boots myself. Steel toe, lug soles, lace up above the ankle. No need to burn your leg on the exhaust.

Same with jeans. I can see the need for something more if you are riding long distance or on a weekend ride, but do you need chaps for bar hopping? I don't think so.

I think you'd almost have to be a fool not to wear either a long sleeved shirt or a leather jacket. I've got a armored brown leather biker jacket to wear on the road.

Now, I wear a helmet. I don't care if anyone else dose, but I desire my skull not to split open if I lay the bike down. It is a nice dull black skorpien with the internal face shield. It is a half helmet and it does have a padded lower neck that is removeable. The face shield retracts inside the dome and is darkened 100% UVF one. Nice.

You always see the guys riding wearing a patched vest, and I am not talking about the Motorcycle club dudes either. Not sure what I'd put on a vest if I ever wear one. Military stuff I assume. There are a few places that deal in full embroidery military biker patches.

I guess you wear what is comfortable. We should plan a few CC biker rides in the future. Hell...we should have a CC patch.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:15:19 PM by dutch508 »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 06:17:57 PM »
Do-rags seem to be popular, but you'd never catch me wearing one of those dumbassed things on my head.

You Can't Go Wrong With Leather - but I draw the line at assless chaps.  :rotf:

It's all about comfort - and staying warm.  :rocker2:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »
IMHO there are no "bikers" anymore. Harley has become the bike of choice for McMansion owners and weekened wannabes. Most I met while I was riding just thought it was "cool" to play dressup.   :hammer:

Now, the REAL bikers, they tried to chase my rice burner ass down. Key word is tried:tongue:

BTW, I practially lived on my 83' SECA 900 for nearly 10 years. Best damn bike I ever had even if it was a rice burner.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline redkatz919

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »
 :popcorn: Newbie here!! How about an update? No new posts since Dec?