Author Topic: Prayer Relieves Mind in Many Ways, Study Finds  (Read 2121 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Prayer Relieves Mind in Many Ways, Study Finds
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:21:39 AM »
I found this on a summary from Vision To America.  From . . . Fox News' site.

Prayer Relieves Mind in Many Ways, Study Finds

Dec 14, 2010 9:04 AM EST

Getting on your knees and looking to the heavens may really bring comfort during tough times, new research finds.

This will come as no surprise to many Americans, as 75 percent say they pray on a weekly basis in order to manage hard situations, including illness, and emotions such as sadness and anger, according to the study researcher citing Pew Research Center data. And most Americans also think God is involved in their everyday lives and concerned with their personal well-being.

The new study aimed to find out how prayer leads to mental relief. Results suggested prayer can serve as a distraction and even as sort of a punching bag.

Always available

Lead researcher Shane Sharp, a graduate student studying sociology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, conducted in-depth interviews with 62 victims of violent relationships with intimate partners. Participants ranged in age from 19 to 72 (averaging 41) and represented a wide swath of the United States in geographic, educational and racial terms, with largely Christian backgrounds.

Results showed that in general that God or another figure from religion acted as a support system for the participants. The figure had certain perceived characteristics, such as being loving, powerful and caring, that influenced why participants sought him or her out. But unlike a flesh-and-blood shoulder to cry on or an abusive partner to rail at, God was available whenever and wherever the participant reached out, Sharp said.

The rest of it is here:

http://health.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=31737&external=622310.proteus.fma&pageNum=-1

I like it.  Praying, which I don't do enough, has always given me comfort.

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
Re: Prayer Relieves Mind in Many Ways, Study Finds
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:43:20 PM »
Interesting. I'm not one for praying but I can completely understand why one would.

Offline Varokhâr

• Tea Party hearty, dude!
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna
Re: Prayer Relieves Mind in Many Ways, Study Finds
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
I believe it. Prayer focuses the mind and forces you to calm down and center yourself while you petition or address God. Over time, enough of that can help a person learn how to calm and center more effectively, and retain that disposition while not in prayer.

Deist. Libertarian. Patriot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ