Author Topic: Clancy's new book is a winner  (Read 2730 times)

Offline 5412

Clancy's new book is a winner
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »
Hi,

Just finished all 900+ pages of Tom Clancy's new book, "Dead or Alive".  Long but well worth it.

One section I marked, pages 446/447.  The bad guy who is a Bin Laden type character had a physchological profile done on the current president of the US...the fictional president in the book of course.  

I will take a bit of liberty here but it sounds like this,".....(Pres) was the consummate politician, which in American politics was taken as synonymous for leader.  How and when this ignorance started he did not know.  Nor did he care.  The American people had chosen for themselves the politician who had most ably portrayed himself as a leader, never asking whether the image matched the character behind it.  (Shrink firm) said it did not, and he agreed.  Worse still---or better still, depending on your perspective----(pres) has surrounded himself with sycophants and favor-holders who did nothing to improve his credentials.  So what happens when a weak man of flawed character is faced with a cascade of catastrophes?  He crumbles, of course---and with him his country."

I remember as a kid, when you read a fiction book it would have something like, "this book is fiction and any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental".

Ummmmm, OK, if you say so.

regards,

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:46:09 PM by 5412 »

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
Re: Clancy's new book is a winner
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:49:54 PM »
Sounds good.  I'll have to wait for the PB, unless it's available for Kindle (got free Kindle app on my laptop).
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels