Author Topic: Anyone have the Cuisinart ice cream maker?  (Read 4184 times)

Offline soleil

Anyone have the Cuisinart ice cream maker?
« on: November 21, 2010, 07:01:21 PM »
So far I've only made vanilla ice cream. Tonight I added some crushed butterfinger to the vanilla. I am also making some strawberry ice cream. Mmm! The strawberries are macerating right now. Mmmm!! Can't wait.

This little ice cream maker is pretty nifty. It makes the ice cream in under 30 minutes. Of course the bowl thingy has to be frozen already.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Anyone have the Cuisinart ice cream maker?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 07:20:26 PM »
Yeah, if you like soft ice cream...... I like to put it in the freezer and let harden. (no wise cracks, either) :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline soleil

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:11:49 PM »
Yeah, if you like soft ice cream...... I like to put it in the freezer and let harden. (no wise cracks, either) :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Yeah, it is very soft right after it is made. I like it that way sometimes. (NO WISE CRACKS!!)  :-) It definitely does better after you freeze it for a while.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 09:18:48 PM »
I didn't make any ice cream this summer, but last summer, I made some wonderful peppermint stick ice cream (although my peppermint sticks dissolved) :( and some even better vanilla custard ice cream. I like the custard recipes better.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline soleil

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 09:26:27 PM »
I didn't make any ice cream this summer, but last summer, I made some wonderful peppermint stick ice cream (although my peppermint sticks dissolved) :( and some even better vanilla custard ice cream. I like the custard recipes better.

You still have any of those custard recipes on hand? Sounds yummy!

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:46:03 PM »
I just pulled them off of the net. Most are fairly similar:

Ingredients

* 3 cups half-and-half
    * 1 cup heavy cream
    * 8 large egg yolks
    * 9 ounces vanilla sugar
    * 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions

Place the half-and-half and the heavy cream into a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.

In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about a third of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F. Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.

Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.

I use the basic vanilla custard style and add in things that I want. I also added the vanilla extract (pure, not that synthetic crap) during the cooking phase.  If adding candies, wait until it's pulled from the ice cream churn.

For peppermint stick, I added in a teaspoon of peppermint extract right before I put it in the churn and some broken up peppermint sticks. Like I said before, I added them too soon, so they all disintegrated. It still tasted AWESOME.

Here's a similar peppermint stick recipe: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/peppermint_ice_cream/
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:48:12 PM by Thor »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 10:00:10 AM »
That's one of the things about the Christmas season I love - PEPPERMINT!

I've not made ice cream in a very long time, but I think you've inspired me to get a maker and make up some peppermint stick ice cream - I love that stuff!
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline soleil

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 03:30:21 PM »
I just pulled them off of the net. Most are fairly similar:

Ingredients

* 3 cups half-and-half
    * 1 cup heavy cream
    * 8 large egg yolks
    * 9 ounces vanilla sugar
    * 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Directions

Place the half-and-half and the heavy cream into a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.

In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about a third of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F. Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.

Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.

I use the basic vanilla custard style and add in things that I want. I also added the vanilla extract (pure, not that synthetic crap) during the cooking phase.  If adding candies, wait until it's pulled from the ice cream churn.

For peppermint stick, I added in a teaspoon of peppermint extract right before I put it in the churn and some broken up peppermint sticks. Like I said before, I added them too soon, so they all disintegrated. It still tasted AWESOME.

Here's a similar peppermint stick recipe: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/peppermint_ice_cream/

Perfect!! That will be the next one I make!! Yummy!!!! Thanks!

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 06:35:04 PM »

I've not made ice cream in a very long time, but I think you've inspired me to get a maker and make up some peppermint stick ice cream - I love that stuff!

Glad that I could be of some inspiration!!  :-) Peppermint stick ice cream is probably my #1 FAVORITE of all time.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 06:55:43 PM »
My mom made peppermint ice cream at home last year... tasted like mouthwash.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 07:10:25 PM »
I finally went and checked.  We have a Rival Ice Cream Parlor.   When I was a kid we use to have a great pint hand crank model.  Last hand crank I saw in use was at a family reunion in Vt a few years ago.  The young kids loved taking turns.   

Peppermint Stick is currently available here for the holiday season (Edy's).  We make fresh strawberry in the summer.  May have to try blueberry.  I also vote custard but it is more work.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 07:22:15 PM »
The extra work is not a problem to me. I'll sacrifice a little labor for some great taste.....

Offline soleil

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 09:44:15 AM »
The extra work is not a problem to me. I'll sacrifice a little labor for some great taste.....

Me too, and I actually enjoy the extra work when experimenting in the kitchen.

Offline debk

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 01:25:09 PM »

I love good peppermint ice cream!!

It is criminally unfair that it can only be found at Christmas time.  :bawl:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 03:10:46 PM »
I love good peppermint ice cream!!

It is criminally unfair that it can only be found at Christmas time.  :bawl:

And there you have the perfect reason for the ice cream maker. :tongue:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline debk

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 10:10:27 AM »
And there you have the perfect reason for the ice cream maker. :tongue:

Have one. AND my aunt's Pennsylvania Dutch grandmother's recipe for frozen custard.  :tongue:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.