Author Topic: Time to re-Start an Old Hobby  (Read 8189 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Time to re-Start an Old Hobby
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 08:07:04 PM »
Buying instruments on Ebay is a very, very iffy proposition.

A few years ago I bought a bass trombone that was full of red rot. Horn looked fine from the outside, but was rotting away on the inside. I was able to send it back and get my money back, but even for a horn for just getting back in the saddle, there are other options which are a lot safer.

Like my cousin Vinny, for example. He owns a pawn shop on the south end of town.  :rotf:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 11:35:51 PM »
Buying instruments on Ebay is a very, very iffy proposition.

A few years ago I bought a bass trombone that was full of red rot. Horn looked fine from the outside, but was rotting away on the inside. I was able to send it back and get my money back, but even for a horn for just getting back in the saddle, there are other options which are a lot safer.

Like my cousin Vinny, for example. He owns a pawn shop on the south end of town.  :rotf:

There ARE several NEW horns on eBay, which is probably what I would opt for.  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:  Our pawn shops are dead in the center of town..... and I don't have a cousin that works at one....  :(
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 11:41:39 PM »
Speaking of, Eupher.......

What do you think of this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Giardinelli-SYM-AL-trombone-mouthpiece-24K-Gold-NEW-/140389143948?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item20afd8558c

I'm not familiar with that brand.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »
Speaking of, Eupher.......

What do you think of this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Giardinelli-SYM-AL-trombone-mouthpiece-24K-Gold-NEW-/140389143948?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item20afd8558c

I'm not familiar with that brand.

Giardinelli is a pretty well-known mouthpiece manufacturer that was one of the first that offered lots of options - different rim thicknesses, cup depths, backbore sizes, throat dimensions. Mostly meant for trumpet players, they've gone over to low brass. I bought three of 'em on Woodwind Brasswind (www.wwbw.com) a couple years ago for about $3 each - a real steal. I played one with my bass trombone for awhile till I got my Schilke 58 (a big bastard).

Plating the mouthpiece with gold yields a 'piece that is very, very comfortable on the chops. I play a gold Steven Mead SM3.5 (manufactured by Denis Wick in England), but so far haven't gold-plated my Schilke for bass 'bone or my tuba mouthpiece either. I like gold, but it's spendy.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.