Author Topic: Time to re-Start an Old Hobby  (Read 8190 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Time to re-Start an Old Hobby
« on: November 15, 2010, 11:36:19 PM »
I ditched my job at the VFW. Got tired of the same old bullshit. Anyways, my goal is to be able to play "Cantique De Noel" by Christmas Eve on my trombone. There are a couple of notes that are pretty high up there for a tenor trombone, so I'll have to work at it. And, as Eupher has stated before, it's been a LONG while since I've picked it up, so it's almost like starting all over again.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Time to re-Start an Old Hobby
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 07:57:33 AM »
I ditched my job at the VFW. Got tired of the same old bullshit. Anyways, my goal is to be able to play "Cantique De Noel" by Christmas Eve on my trombone. There are a couple of notes that are pretty high up there for a tenor trombone, so I'll have to work at it. And, as Eupher has stated before, it's been a LONG while since I've picked it up, so it's almost like starting all over again.

That sounds like a very worthwhile pursuit!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:55:20 AM »
Cool!

Slow and easy, bud. You ain't so young anymore. A great way to screw up chops is to leap right into things too fast, too hard, and too long.

If I may suggest a few things:

1.  Long tones, very softly - no more than mf - boring as hell, but that's where you build strength initially.
2.  A few minutes of mouthpiece buzzing. Don't stop up the end of the 'piece, either. Just play little songs like "Mary Had a Little Lamb" by ear. Buzzing focuses the tone and gets things right most ricky-tick.
3.  Arpeggios and working the overtone series - only up to high F for a few days - don't push it.
4.  Then and only then work on your legato and solo playing.

You'd be doing well to put in 30 minutes a day, or as long as your back holds out. It'll probably be physically demanding at first.

Need a sitrep every day!
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 11:51:49 AM »
The bigger thing is that we're at that time of the year where we have the heat on , at least overnight. My lips tend to dry out & split during this time of year. Need to figure out how to prevent that.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHVpJGXZ21o[/youtube]

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 12:18:23 PM »
The bigger thing is that we're at that time of the year where we have the heat on , at least overnight. My lips tend to dry out & split during this time of year. Need to figure out how to prevent that.

Burt's Bees (exact name I forget) works well. Any kind of Chapstick works pretty well too. I use it every day starting in the fall through winter. Without it, my chops would be hamburger.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 12:22:30 PM »
I've got some material that I can scan and email to you, but not till tomorrow. Until then, just focus on getting air through the horn and some of those medium-range long tones. It'll sound like shit, but just be persistent. It'll come back.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 12:25:35 PM »
Burt's Bees (exact name I forget) works well. Any kind of Chapstick works pretty well too. I use it every day starting in the fall through winter. Without it, my chops would be hamburger.

Burt's Bees will work because Inga carries that at her store. Never had a lot of luck with Chapstick.

I'm going to call the local music store and see if they have an Arban's.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:29:41 PM »
Burt's Bees will work because Inga carries that at her store. Never had a lot of luck with Chapstick.

I'm going to call the local music store and see if they have an Arban's.

There's a new revision of Arban's out, edited by Brian Bowman (of North Texas State) and Joe Alessi, principal trombone with the NY Phil. It's kinda spendy, but it fixes all the errors (and there were tons) in the old edition. Also, the older versions of Arban's were a PITA because they're softbound. The new version is spiral bound, which makes it much easier to deal with on the music stand.

Uh...you DO have a music stand, dontcha? And a metronome?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
There's a new revision of Arban's out, edited by Brian Bowman (of North Texas State) and Joe Alessi, principal trombone with the NY Phil. It's kinda spendy, but it fixes all the errors (and there were tons) in the old edition. Also, the older versions of Arban's were a PITA because they're softbound. The new version is spiral bound, which makes it much easier to deal with on the music stand.

Uh...you DO have a music stand, dontcha? And a metronome?

I just noticed the new book.

And, No, no stand or metronome. Not any more. LOL, I bought my first (and only) metronome with S&H green stamps!!  :o

I can probably find a stand at the local Goodwill or Salvation Army store. I'm pretty sure that I can find an online download for a metronome program.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 01:00:32 PM »
I just noticed the new book.

And, No, no stand or metronome. Not any more. LOL, I bought my first (and only) metronome with S&H green stamps!!  :o

I can probably find a stand at the local Goodwill or Salvation Army store. I'm pretty sure that I can find an online download for a metronome program.

http://download.cnet.com/Weird-Metronome/3000-2133_4-10073673.html

Weird Metronome is a metronome program that uses the computer's MIDI hardware (sound card) to play its sound. This program is very configurable. You can define any length measure up to 1,000 beats with any beat emphasis you choose. More than fifty percussion instruments are available, and up to nine can be used at a time in a given measure definition. You can save and load your settings under as many presets as you like. All this and more in a tiny little download of only 18K.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 01:03:34 PM »
This site will work fine for a metronome program: http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 01:52:33 PM »
yeah, okay, but I like the portable type that run on battery power.  :tongue:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »
yeah, okay, but I like the portable type that run on battery power.  :tongue:

Well...... that's out of the question right now. Hell, I'll be lucky to pay my bills. Besides, my old metronome was a wind up one. Similar to this one:

Yeah, I know that you're going to say something about "Old school", so before you do.......  :tongue:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 04:29:31 PM »
This thread blows.

:yahoo: :rotf:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:10:48 PM by Thor »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 04:30:29 PM »
This thread blows.

:yahoo: :rotf:

And don't you forget it, Baba Louie..... :-)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:11:17 PM by Thor »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 06:12:34 PM »
Nothing like having to scroll down half a page just to see a couple of smileys.... (just sayin')

and of course, this thread "blows". What would one expect from a couple of "blowhards"??  :tongue:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 09:24:03 PM »
Nothing like having to scroll down half a page just to see a couple of smileys.... (just sayin')

and of course, this thread "blows". What would one expect from a couple of "blowhards"??  :tongue:

:thatsright:

Oy vey!

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 11:12:09 PM »
:thatsright:

Oy vey!

What's your problem, young lady ??

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 08:47:27 AM »
What's your problem, young lady ??

Nothing... O-)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 10:06:18 AM »

Well, I guess it's better than sucks.    :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 08:29:45 AM »
I want to publicly thank Eupher  ( Mr. Scrooge wanna-be) for helping me to get re-started in this endeavour....  :-) :hi5: :texas:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 10:22:36 AM »
I want to publicly thank Eupher  ( Mr. Scrooge wanna-be) for helping me to get re-started in this endeavour....  :-) :hi5: :texas:

We can NEVER have enough hot air being blown around here.   :-)

Next stop, TVDOC. He's been known to do the extendaphone bit, back in the day.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »
We can NEVER have enough hot air being blown around here.   :-)

Next stop, TVDOC. He's been known to do the extendaphone bit, back in the day.

Back in my era, euphemistically referred to as a "slush pump".......

If that's gonna happen, I'm gonna have to start hanging around pawn shops, as my mother sold my horn when I was in undergrad school........I don't want to disclose how many decades ago that was.

Several months ago, I did find a bottle of Conn slide oil, that my wife was using for her sewing machine.......it has to date from the Eisenhower administration.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 01:51:47 PM »
Back in my era, euphemistically referred to as a "slush pump".......

If that's gonna happen, I'm gonna have to start hanging around pawn shops, as my mother sold my horn when I was in undergrad school........I don't want to disclose how many decades ago that was.

Several months ago, I did find a bottle of Conn slide oil, that my wife was using for her sewing machine.......it has to date from the Eisenhower administration.

doc

There's always eBay, DOC....... ;) I saw a couple of trombones from this one seller for under $100. One had some lacquer damage. They weren't concert quality, but....

they'd do quite nicely for picking it up again. I wonder what Mrs. DOC would think?? :evillaugh: