Author Topic: New York Region Manufacturing Contracts in November (27 point drop)  (Read 890 times)

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
Manufacturing in the New York region unexpectedly contracted in November for the first time in more than a year, a warning sign the industry that led the economy out of the recession may again be cooling.

The Federal Reserve Bank of New York’s general economic index fell to minus 11.1 from 15.7 in October. Readings less than zero signal contractions in the so-called Empire State Index, which covers New York, northern New Jersey and southern Connecticut. Economists forecast the measure would fall to 14 this month, according to the median projection in a Bloomberg News survey.

Expected drop was 1, actual drop was 27.  Does not look like green shoots to me...

Much more scary stuff at the link, it looks like everything in the region dropped fairly dramatically.

Link to Article

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
Re: New York Region Manufacturing Contracts in November (27 point drop)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »
Inventory build-up.

Much of the growth in the 3rd quarter had an inventory overhang.
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline true_blood

Re: New York Region Manufacturing Contracts in November (27 point drop)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:07:10 PM »
Not good at all.