Author Topic: Anyone ever hire a professional painter?  (Read 20192 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: Anyone ever hire a professional painter?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 07:18:29 PM »
*covets BEG's dining room set. That's so pretty!!! Love the painting too.

Hmmm...maybe I should go into the painting business? Sounds lucrative. I've never painted the inside of any of my homes. I've owned three homes and built two of them so I chose the colors.

I'd love to paint our condo but we have vaulted ceilings and I think I might die from the estimate if what you guys say is true! Yikes.

Good luck BEG! What about your oldest son? Is he coming home from school this summer? Is he handy? Does he have friends? Yeah, I know that's hilarious right??? LOL.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 08:25:26 PM »
Since we are talking about painting  :p, I'm posting a pic of a painting that my husband's cousin painted.  We bought it from him and received it last week.

That's a nice painting.  I have a friend that lives in Denton and I think he paid to get the interior painted a few months ago.  I'll ask him who/cost. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 08:30:50 PM »

Hmmm...maybe I should go into the painting business? Sounds lucrative. I've never painted the inside of any of my homes. I've owned three homes and built two of them so I chose the colors.

I'd love to paint our condo but we have vaulted ceilings and I think I might die from the estimate if what you guys say is true! Yikes.

Good luck BEG! What about your oldest son? Is he coming home from school this summer? Is he handy? Does he have friends? Yeah, I know that's hilarious right??? LOL.

I would actually trust my son to do it but not his friends.   :p   I also don't want to wait until summer.  :-)  His summer job is painting the outside of the house, which shouldn't be too bad since the majority of our house is brick and stone.

We both have painted just about every room (except the dining room, entry and laundry).  I want to paint my dining room, entry, repaint the hallways, repaint the "yellow" that is in my study (not the whole thing is yellow, it is just some god awful yellow that my husband picked out) and perhaps repaint the family room.  If I'm going to do all that I might as well paint my laundry room too.  You can see every room I just mentioned (except the laundry room) from the front entry.  I need two colors that are basically the same color only one lighter and one darker to go with the green in my kitchen.

You an see the color of my kitchen below in my quilt picture.  The lighter green is what my hallways are painted.  I don't think I want an all green house.

Any ideas?  I have tentatively picked out a color that is a taupe but is on the green side of taupe.  It looks greenish in some light and kind of brownish/yellow in other light.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 08:34:18 PM »

That's a nice painting.  I have a friend that lives in Denton and I think he paid to get the interior painted a few months ago.  I'll ask him who/cost. 

Thanks Mia, I'd appreciate it.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 08:36:02 PM »

I would actually trust my son to do it but not his friends.   :p   I also don't want to wait until summer.  :-)  His summer job is painting the outside of the house, which shouldn't be too bad since the majority of our house is brick and stone.

We both have painted just about every room (except the dining room, entry and laundry).  I want to paint my dining room, entry, repaint the hallways, repaint the "yellow" that is in my study (not the whole thing is yellow, it is just some god awful yellow that my husband picked out) and perhaps repaint the family room.  If I'm going to do all that I might as well paint my laundry room too.  You can see every room I just mentioned (except the laundry room) from the front entry.  I need two colors that are basically the same color only one lighter and one darker to go with the green in my kitchen.

You an see the color of my kitchen below in my quilt picture.  The lighter green is what my hallways are painted.  I don't think I want an all green house.

Any ideas?  I have tentatively picked out a color that is a taupe but is on the green side of taupe.  It looks greenish in some light and kind of brownish/yellow in other light.

I have Behr's Gobi Desert in my living/dining room.  I like it a lot.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 08:40:51 PM »

What kind of color is it?

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 08:45:09 PM »

A yellowy brown.  Sandy.  It works well with my cream sofa and golden yellow chairs.  My trim is "creamy white." 
Stink Eye

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2008, 08:49:48 PM »

A yellowy brown.  Sandy.  It works well with my cream sofa and golden yellow chairs.  My trim is "creamy white." 

I'm thinking of keeping the lighter green that is in part of my family room and hallways and using a color similar to the one you used (I looked it up and found a picture).  Then I could keep the hallways and parts of my family room the same color and just do touch ups in those areas.  I could use the new color in my entry and on the ugly yellow color in my study and the other parts of my family room.  Then perhaps in my dining room I could use the new color on the upper walls and then below the chair rail use a darker shade of the new color.  Hmmmmm

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2008, 08:54:09 PM »

I'm thinking of keeping the lighter green that is in part of my family room and hallways and using a color similar to the one you used (I looked it up and found a picture).  Then I could keep the hallways and parts of my family room the same color and just do touch ups in those areas.  I could use the new color in my entry and on the ugly yellow color in my study and the other parts of my family room.  Then perhaps in my dining room I could use the new color on the upper walls and then below the chair rail use a darker shade of the new color.  Hmmmmm

I'm really happy with it.  I used eggshell.  It a good neutral.

This picture doesn't do it justice, but I have this hanging on the wall above the sofa

(That's not my house, so pay no attention to the wall color)  I didn't want anything to take away from the colors in the artwork, the blue, red and gold. 

A lighter color above and a darker color below a chair rail would look nice. 
Stink Eye

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 08:57:08 PM »
I just went to my bag of paint samples, Gobi Desert (710C-3) is one of them.   :-)  It looks like it might be the wrong tone for my current color I have in my hallways.  I'll have to check it out in the morning with natural light.  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:02:05 PM by BEG »

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2008, 08:58:26 PM »
I just went to my bag of paint samples, Gobi Desert (710C-3) is one of them.   :-)  It look like it might be the wrong tone for my current color I had in my hallways.  I'll have to check it out in the morning with natural light. 

You have exxxxxcellent taste.   :)
Stink Eye

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2008, 08:59:04 PM »

I'm really happy with it.  I used eggshell.  It a good neutral.

This picture doesn't do it justice, but I have this hanging on the wall above the sofa

(That's not my house, so pay no attention to the wall color)  I didn't want anything to take away from the colors in the artwork, the blue, red and gold. 

A lighter color above and a darker color below a chair rail would look nice. 

Great picture, where did you get it?

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 09:04:08 PM »

My best friend got it for me in India the last time she went.  It's actually hand painted on like linen.  My mom got it framed for me for Christmas that year.

I should really take new pictures of it, those are really crappy. 
Stink Eye

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 09:05:34 PM »

My best friend got it for me in India the last time she went.  It's actually hand painted on like linen.  My mom got it framed for me for Christmas that year.

It's very beautiful.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2008, 09:06:31 PM »

It's a great piece.  I want it.  I'm willing to give you $14.00 today.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2008, 09:08:03 PM »

It's very beautiful.

Framing is a business to get into though.  It cost my mom around $400 to frame it.  I think it really only cost my friend around $10 probably.  LOL

When I lived at home, my room was a blue grey color and it really made the blue in the elephant and gold around it pop out.  It looks good against the Gobi Desert too.

Stink Eye

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2008, 09:09:01 PM »

It's a great piece.  I want it.  I'm willing to give you $14.00 today.

LOL.  Nah.  I really love it too.  Plus, my friend picked it out for me and my mom did an awesome job picking out the frame and matting.
Stink Eye

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2008, 09:13:50 PM »

LOL.  Nah.  I really love it too.  Plus, my friend picked it out for me and my mom did an awesome job picking out the frame and matting.

I use to get things framed all the time.  I bought some RC Cola magazine ads from the 1940's (some with Joan Crawford, some with Lucille Ball, and one with John Wayne).  I bought some "new release" record ads from 1966 Cashbox Magazines.   I paid about $3.00 for each and then spent $150.00 on each one to get them framed.   I was going broke.

Then I got smart and started doing it myself.   

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2008, 09:15:39 PM »

I use to get things framed all the time.  I bought some RC Cola magazine ads from the 1940's (some with Joan Crawford, some with Lucille Ball, and one with John Wayne).  I bought some "new release" record ads from 1966 Cashbox Magazines.   I paid about $3.00 for each and then spent $150.00 on each one to get them framed.   I was going broke.

Then I got smart and started doing it myself.   

LOL It's a racket that framing business. 
Stink Eye

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2008, 09:24:25 PM »
And on topic.  BEG, my friend had a dining room, kitchen, breakfast area, foyer and small hallway done for $1100, but he wouldn't really recommend them. 
Stink Eye

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2008, 09:47:09 PM »
And on topic.  BEG, my friend had a dining room, kitchen, breakfast area, foyer and small hallway done for $1100, but he wouldn't really recommend them. 

Thanks MIA!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2008, 09:54:19 PM »
I love the green color but I can understand wanting to change things up, especially if you have a color you don't like (the yellow you mentioned). I'm living in a beige hell so I would be happy with any color. We have to stay neutral for resale. Next house, next house.....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lauri

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2008, 10:57:39 PM »
I have several rooms I want repainted and my husband is being an ass and doesn't want to help me paint them.  My husband told me to just have someone else come out and do it.  I have no idea how much they charge.  Can anyone who has had someone repaint the inside of their home tell me approximately how much it costs to have a professional do it?  I'm having someone come out wednesday to give me an estimate but they are 3 1/2 weeks out on their paint jobs and if I know that it will be super expensive I can cancel their trip out here and just tell my husband it will be a bunch of money and he has to help me paint.   :innocent:

it is totally worth it if you have tall ceilings. we didnt want to rent all the scaffolding and tape off those ceilings - i cant tell you if the price is comparable to where you live, but the guy who painted the inside of our house also painted the outside and he was a real pro.

he was also done in less time that we could have ever done it. no muss, no fuss and the edges were razor sharp and he did it free hand with a bevelled brush.

the new home was already painted by the builder and i am loathe to even think about painting for years to come :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2008, 11:01:47 PM »
I have several rooms I want repainted and my husband is being an ass and doesn't want to help me paint them.  My husband told me to just have someone else come out and do it.  I have no idea how much they charge.  Can anyone who has had someone repaint the inside of their home tell me approximately how much it costs to have a professional do it?  I'm having someone come out wednesday to give me an estimate but they are 3 1/2 weeks out on their paint jobs and if I know that it will be super expensive I can cancel their trip out here and just tell my husband it will be a bunch of money and he has to help me paint.   :innocent:

it is totally worth it if you have tall ceilings. we didnt want to rent all the scaffolding and tape off those ceilings - i cant tell you if the price is comparable to where you live, but the guy who painted the inside of our house also painted the outside and he was a real pro.

he was also done in less time that we could have ever done it. no muss, no fuss and the edges were razor sharp and he did it free hand with a bevelled brush.

the new home was already painted by the builder and i am loathe to even think about painting for years to come :-)
That is a great point.  Thanks for bringing it up.  I have huge 2-story vaulted ceilings.  It would be hell to scaffold up to it.

When we are ready to paint, I'll remember your sage advice.

H5!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2008, 11:07:19 PM »

That is a great point.  Thanks for bringing it up.  I have huge 2-story vaulted ceilings.  It would be hell to scaffold up to it.

When we are ready to paint, I'll remember your sage advice.

H5!

we also had one of those houses where the walls just blend into each other. when we started thinking of colors, we didnt know where one wall ended and another one began. it was so odd..

and yes, the 22 foot ceilings made the whole thing just not realistic for us. this guy we hired did the inside of the house in a day and a half and not one drip anywhere.

BEG, if you want to hire someone from Idaho, I can pass along his number :-)