Author Topic: Lt Gov: ‘Joe Miller’ write-ins won’t go to GOP nom  (Read 4554 times)

Offline thundley4

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Write-in votes for Joe Miller in the Alaska Senate race won’t count toward the GOP nominee’s tally.

So says Lt. Gov. Craig Campbell.

Campbell, who oversees elections, tells The Associated Press that because Miller’s name isn’t on the official list of write-in candidates, any ballots with "Joe Miller" written in won’t be credited to the tea party favorite.
  WTF?

The GOP establishment has tried to give this race to MurCOWski in every way possible.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Lt Gov: ‘Joe Miller’ write-ins won’t go to GOP nom
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 06:20:06 PM »
He was already on the ballot.  Who is stupid enough to WRITE IN a name that's already printed on the ballot?

I'm sorry but this is just dumb, and I have to agree with the Lt. Gov.  He's just following the rules.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »
He was already on the ballot.  Who is stupid enough to WRITE IN a name that's already printed on the ballot?

I'm sorry but this is just dumb, and I have to agree with the Lt. Gov.  He's just following the rules.

I seem to recall in one of the Florida elections, the same thing happened and the courts ruled in favor of "voter intent".  I think the courts in Alaska have ruled the same thing with regard to spelling Murcowski's name.  If "voter intent" is that important, then write-ins for Joe Miller should count , too.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 06:27:21 PM »
I seem to recall in one of the Florida elections, the same thing happened and the courts ruled in favor of "voter intent".  I think the courts in Alaska have ruled the same thing with regard to spelling Murcowski's name.  If "voter intent" is that important, then write-ins for Joe Miller should count , too.
Looks like the Miller campaign will have to appeal the Lt. Gov's decision then.  I hope they are able to cite precedent and get it overturned.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 07:01:22 PM »
Looks like the Miller campaign will have to appeal the Lt. Gov's decision then.  I hope they are able to cite precedent and get it overturned.

I can't find anything more about it, but there is this little item that could cause some problems.

She was one of 160 candidates following conservative calls urging Alaskans to sign up to disrupt her campaign. Though she focused heavily on educating voters on how to cast a vote for her properly, it's not clear how many did so, filling in the ballot oval and writing "Murkowski" or "Lisa Murkowski." And while election officials plan to be lenient in deciphering voter intent in determining whether a ballot for Murkowski counts, they've provided no set standard for what would be allowable.
FNC

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:05:57 PM »
I wonder how many votes will be counted for Murkowski that begin with an M.  Like ones spelled M-I-L-L-E-R?

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 10:23:44 AM »

As long as the strict spelling rule is applied to Moo-cow-ski, I don't have a problem with that.  I have a huge problem with it if they start determining voter 'intent' on misspelled or abbreviated names in her favor, but not counting write-ins for Miller the same way.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 11:22:40 AM »
As long as the strict spelling rule is applied to Moo-cow-ski, I don't have a problem with that.  I have a huge problem with it if they start determining voter 'intent' on misspelled or abbreviated names in her favor, but not counting write-ins for Miller the same way.

From my link and quote above, it seems like they will have very liberal standards in what they will accept for Murcowski.