Author Topic: **** Election day- 2010 -- LIVE THREAD ****  (Read 51084 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
**** Election day- 2010 -- LIVE THREAD ****
« on: November 02, 2010, 06:15:52 AM »
Go get em. Do your duty.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:54:40 AM by Wretched Excess »

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Election day- 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 06:16:47 AM »
Already did my absentee ballot.  Straight GOP, all the way down the line.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »
Not real sure that I want to vote straight GOP down the line. Rick Perry, for example, is basically another RINO. However, I don't think that Kathie Glass would be a decent governor and then we have the typical Dem, Bill White running for Gov. This might be a case where I have to hold my nose and vote.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wretched Excess

Re: **** Election day- 2010 -- LIVE THREAD ****
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 06:34:28 AM »
I changed the title of your thread slightly.  You will be our official live thread for election day. :-)

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 06:43:49 AM »
Bill White (gag), but at least he'll lose. Voted by mail the other day to toss Patty Murray, the bitch in tennis shoes, and hope she loses too.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:00:44 AM »
I only have two end results that I want to see.

On the national level: Pelosi taking her little hammer and getting the **** out of sight forever. BITCH!!!

On the local level: Gary Peters, obamas lap Dog, getting tossed on his ass.

I swear to do my part at 9 AM.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 07:01:24 AM »
I know it's a bit early to start drinking but you could treat yourselves to one of these: the official drink of the Republican party!

[youtube=425,350]Gwy5aaKLuto&NR=1[/youtube]

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:42:39 AM »
The deed is done. Straight Republican. Maybe one day I can say straight conservative.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »
Not real sure that I want to vote straight GOP down the line. Rick Perry, for example, is basically another RINO. However, I don't think that Kathie Glass would be a decent governor and then we have the typical Dem, Bill White running for Gov. This might be a case where I have to hold my nose and vote.

Voted last week, got a little sick in my mouth when voting for Gov.  I sure hope we can survive Perry a few more years.  We really need to start looking for a better Governor. 

I sure do hope this election takes care of Eddie Bernice Johnson.  And that Dallas gets the green light to sell beer wherever. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 10:03:59 AM »
Voted circa 9:00 a.m. central time, 8:00 a.m. mountain time.

Straight Republican ticket.  As usual.

Anyway.

Early clues: What to watch in Tuesday's elections

How early will America know if it's a Republican romp or if Democrats somehow minimized their damage? There should be plenty of clues Tuesday evening — and long before bedtime. Final results in some states might not be known for days. But trends could be evident from the Midwest and South — especially from Indiana, Kentucky and West Virginia — even before most of the nation has finished dinner.

Six states have polls that close at 7 p.m. EDT, and 16 more close by 8 p.m., featuring plenty of telling races in the East and Midwest. First up: Indiana, Kentucky, South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia and Vermont, offering the first hard evidence of just how big a night it's going to be for Republicans.

Not even their mothers expect the Democrats to gain ground. It's just a question of whether they fall back or over a cliff.

If the GOP can unseat Democratic Rep. Baron Hill in Indiana's always-hard-fought 9th congressional district, for example, that's a good sign for the expected Republican takeover of the House. And if they can capture all three seats they've got an eye on in Indiana, that could well signal a GOP hurricane.

On the other hand, if Democrats hold their ground in Indiana, and if their Kentucky Senate candidate, Jack Conway, can beat back Republican Rand Paul, it could be an early indication that GOP gains won't challenge the record books and that the tea party is serving weak brew.

Expectations are high that Republicans will pick up at least the 40 seats they need to retake control of the House after four years of Democratic rule. That should start in the Midwest.

In Ohio, where polls close at 7:30 p.m., six Democratic-held seats are in jeopardy. In Pennsylvania and Illinois, where polls close at 8 p.m., 10 more are at risk.

If Midwestern incumbents such Joe Donnelly in Indiana and John Boccieri in Ohio fall, Republicans are probably headed for huge gains nationwide. Measure Democratic resilience if the party manages to hold on to a pair of imperiled Georgia seats, and if Rep. John Spratt can win a new term in South Carolina.

Worth watching in Florida (an 8 p.m. poll close): a rematch between Democratic Rep. Ron Klein and Republican Allen West. A loser two years ago, West rides anti-incumbent sentiment and is easily outspending his opponent.

Even if Republicans demonstrate early strength Tuesday night, it will take time for them to lock in enough districts to ensure a GOP majority. That's because the West Coast states of California, Washington and Oregon are home to 67 House districts. In 2006, it was 1 a.m. before it became clear that control of the House had passed from Republicans to Democrats.

It would take a true blowout for Republicans to pick up the 10 Senate seats they need for control. The first should be an easy one, in Indiana. But if Paul can't keep Kentucky in the GOP column, it would be a sign of strength for Democrats and a symbolic setback for the tea party activists.

Republicans should have an easy time holding onto one of their own vacant seats in Ohio, where former Republican Rep. Rob Portman is favored. But keep an eye on West Virginia, another 7:30 poll close state, where Democratic Gov. Joe Manchin and Republican millionaire industrialist John Raese are tussling over the seat long held by the late Democrat Robert Byrd. A Republican victory there could keep alive GOP hopes of a majority.

Three-term Sen. Blanche Lincoln could be the first Senate Democratic incumbent to fall, when polls close in Arkansas at 8:30 p.m.

Polls close at 10 p.m. in the most closely watched race of the night: Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's battle in Nevada against tea party favorite Sharron Angle.

Even if Republicans show huge strength, the nation still could go to sleep Tuesday night with unanswered questions about the makeup of the Senate: Polls don't close until 1 a.m. in Alaska, where it could take days or weeks to determine the winner of a three-way race for Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski's seat.

How long could the suspense drag on?

In 2006, it took until 8:30 p.m. the day after the election to determine that Democrats had taken control of the Senate from Republicans. And in 2008, it was nearly eight months after Election Day before it was determined that Democrat Al Franken had won Minnesota's Senate race, giving Democrats control of their 60th seat in the Senate, exactly the number needed to overcome a Republican filibuster.

For all the focus on Congress, there will be plenty of suspense over how big a real estate-grab the Republicans can manage in governors' mansions around the country.

South Carolina will offer an early measure Tuesday night of tea party strength: Republican Nikki Haley trailed for months before Sarah Palin's endorsement and a tea party surge helped her nail the GOP nomination. Now she's favored over Democratic state Sen. Vincent Sheehen.

Over the next few hours, results will roll in for the blue-state Northeast, where Democrats are facing tough GOP challenges in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine and Connecticut. If Democratic Gov. Deval Patrick goes down in the liberal bastion of Massachusetts, it's a sign that the tea party fury over taxes and big government is spreading far and wide.

There's plenty of suspense in Florida, with an 8 p.m. poll close, in the battle between Republican businessman Rick Scott and Democrat Alex Sink, the state's chief financial officer.

Close contests are expected in late poll closing states Oregon and Hawaii. And polls don't close until 11 p.m. in California, where billionaire businesswoman Meg Whitman and former Gov. Jerry Brown are vying to replace outgoing Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101101/ap_on_el_ge/us_watching_the_returns
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 10:19:37 AM »
9 p.m. ET - Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Wisconsin and Wyoming

Read more: http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/11/02/video-how-watch-election#ixzz148eMTUqQ

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 10:38:17 AM »
My voting is done.  Republican for the big ones, but I tossed in a Libertarian for the Lieutenant Governor because I really dislike the Republican choice, and yes, the Democrat choice would be worse, but I couldn't vote for Abel Maldonado.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 11:08:45 AM »
The big ones to watch here for me are Lt. Gov, Rep. District 5, and Education Superintendent as the Dems in these races have went so negative I want to see their tears.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:11:58 PM by TxRadioguy »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline cavegal

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 11:16:10 AM »
Voted on Wednesday...  ;D  Rush was saying yesterday that "they" (whoever "they" are) said Washington State and Nevada results may not be know until December  >:(
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:23:24 AM by cavegal »

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 11:18:02 AM »
Did it this morning.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 11:30:17 AM »
Voted on Wednesday...  ;D  Rush was saying yesterday that "they" (whoever "they" are) said Washington State and Nevada results may not be know until December  >:(

I think they have until Dec 22 to certify their election results.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 11:30:52 AM »
Voted this morning. ;D

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 12:44:52 PM »
I'm hoping we (finally) get a Republican governor. My ballot is filled out already but I'm waiting to see if my son's ballot gets here in time so I can drop his off at the same time. As usual, the powers that be got his ballot to him late. He filled it out on Sunday and took it to the post office on base yesterday to try to send it overnight. They couldn't guarantee him anything but said they'd try (yeah, sure).

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
I think they have until Dec 22 to certify their election results.

every election that rossi has run in has gone to triple overtime so that the WA dems could count the convict vote.  if it is even remotely close in NV, reid will contest every single vote until the very end.  alaska can take a week in a relatively smooth election.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 01:02:37 PM »
Done....both of us......unfortunately several years ago when the Dems were in charge, they eliminated the ballot option to vote "straight ticket" in Missouri, so you have to go through the entire ballot, which is OK I guess.......voted Republican in every race.

Our ballot is fairly complex, because we had about eighteen judges that were up for "retention"......it's tough here, as there is no apparent place that a voter can go to evaluate the performance of these judges, besides the Bar Association......and reading their recommendations is tanamount to allowing the inmates to evaluate the asylum.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 01:37:57 PM »
Most polls have predicted that the closely watched Delaware Senate race between Democrat Chris Coons and Republican tea-party favorite Christine O’Donnell was going to be anything but close. One poll last week had Mr. Coons up by 10 points, while all the others gave him a far more comfortable margin.

But Democrats in Delaware remain skittish.

In a noon email alert to supporters, Coons campaign manager Christy Gleason said close monitoring of voter turnout in the state’s 41 representative districts showed “lower turnout in New Castle and Kent counties than we’re comfortable with.”
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/11/02/coons-camp-expresses-turnout-worries/

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 03:05:57 PM »
Done....both of us......unfortunately several years ago when the Dems were in charge, they eliminated the ballot option to vote "straight ticket" in Missouri, so you have to go through the entire ballot, which is OK I guess.......voted Republican in every race.

Our ballot is fairly complex, because we had about eighteen judges that were up for "retention"......it's tough here, as there is no apparent place that a voter can go to evaluate the performance of these judges, besides the Bar Association......and reading their recommendations is tanamount to allowing the inmates to evaluate the asylum.

doc

Yeah, that judge thing was goofy. I've got a problem with turning judges into politicians. What's wrong with them being appointed for a specific period of time (by governors or other politician), then going off to do whatever former judges do? Term limits for judges?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »
Poll Closing Times

Just for reference.  Looks like first states will be closed in three hours.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 03:17:34 PM »
Yeah, that judge thing was goofy. I've got a problem with turning judges into politicians. What's wrong with them being appointed for a specific period of time (by governors or other politician), then going off to do whatever former judges do? Term limits for judges?

Yeah.....I don't want judges with an agenda, but I suspect what we need is a public vetting like SCOTUS nominees receive in the senate, where their prior judicial decisions are available, and discussed.  Unless they have changed it recently, judges in this state are selected by a panel of trial lawyers, that submit lists to the Governor for a final decision.  The public is never a part of the process until they come up for a retention vote, and when that happens we have no metric with which to measure their performance.

It sucks, but I'm not certain what kind of a system would improve it.  Term limits might, but these would possibly backfire, by forcing a really good jurist out, and replacing him/her with someone considerably worse.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 04:12:24 PM »
AFTERNOON UPDATE!  The Boston Globe-Democrat confirms our anecdotal evidence: Turnout is high in the suburbs, not so much in the cities. That is GREAT NEWS!

http://michaelgraham.com/archives/election-day-updates-here/

Watch MA go deeper red tonight..................