Author Topic: Does anyone remember the name of the Italian American guy who played the crying  (Read 5881 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Elspeth  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Jan-10-08 03:59 PM
Original message
Does anyone remember the name of the Italian American guy who played the crying Indian

on the old commercials about the environment in the 70s? I am looking at cultural appropriation for a paper and was told that the "American Indian" was actually Italian American.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2653609

OMG I remember that commercial. I'm getting old.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
I remember it too! I also remember the National Anthem being played and the TV going off the air completely late at night.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
I remember it too! I also remember the National Anthem being played and the TV going off the air completely late at night.

How about 8 tracks?  :tongue:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
^heck yeah!!! I remember mom sending me to the store to buy a replacement vacuum tube for the TV.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
^heck yeah!!! I remember mom sending me to the store to buy a replacement vacuum tube for the TV.

Back when TVs had dials so "don't touch that dial" was an accurate description. 

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
^Mom called us the first remote controls. "Hey, go change the channel kid!" This one? No. This one? No. This one? No. That's all of them!

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
^Mom called us the first remote controls. "Hey, go change the channel kid!" This one? No. This one? No. This one? No. That's all of them!
That's why children are getting fatter these days.  When I was a child tv watching involved exercise (and holding the ariel in the right position manually on occasions)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
That's why children are getting fatter these days.  When I was a child tv watching involved exercise (and holding the ariel in the right position manually on occasions)

LOl yeah I recall that assuming the NBC position and the ABC, etc.

Offline LadyLiberty

I can remember when you could them Indians and the TV shows weren't all PC. 
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
I loved Archie Bunker :)

Offline LadyLiberty

I loved Archie Bunker :)

I wasn't allowed to watch him  :rotf: Now I think it's pretty funny...and the whole "Meathead" thing  :-)
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
I was 11 or 12 when we first got cable TV.  I remember the cable box... it was covered in vinyl wood-grain and had a big dial on the front that went up to 60.  60 channels!  FTW!!

I think I developed carpal tunnel from spending hours flipping through the dial.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
I was 11 or 12 when we first got cable TV.  I remember the cable box... it was covered in vinyl wood-grain and had a big dial on the front that went up to 60.  60 channels!  FTW!!

I think I developed carpal tunnel from spending hours flipping through the dial.

I was 15 when we got cable. My dad watched VH-1 all day long.

Offline Lord Undies

The Indian was Iron Eyes Cody.  He is dead now.

Offline lastparker

I can remember when you could them Indians and the TV shows weren't all PC. 

I remember when you could say "Italian".

I'm still shaking my head at the prolific use of "Italian American" in that DUmmy's post.  They are all so terrified of pissing off someone else in the hive.....that they post crap like that.

Unbelievable.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline Chris_

I was 15 when we got cable. My dad watched VH-1 all day long.

I was in college when we got cable.  MTV didn't even exist.  We had something called "The Z Channel" that ran really bad movies.  We would get Turner but it was the broadcast version so they always showed Braves games and showed the local Atlanta commercials (cars, furniture stores, etc.)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
What, they couldn't get a real Indian to put down the bottle and get off his lazy ass to play the part?  :-)

BTW and before anyone says anything about being PC, I'm about 1/5th Cherokee and it doesn't offend me when people start talking about about the drunken Irish, Krauts, or the Scots either. ...to which I also belong. Revel in that justification from me. There won't be anymore.  :-)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 02:47:24 PM by Rebel »
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
^Nope. Not gonna get a peep out of me. I'm proud of my heritage too and I'll be the first in line to poke fun of said ancestors  :-)

Offline MASHLover

• Probationary (Probie)
Elspeth  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Jan-10-08 03:59 PM
Original message
Does anyone remember the name of the Italian American guy who played the crying Indian

on the old commercials about the environment in the 70s? I am looking at cultural appropriation for a paper and was told that the "American Indian" was actually Italian American.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2653609

OMG I remember that commercial. I'm getting old.  :-)

That was the first thing I thought as well, DAMN I am getting old LOL
formerly Striker

Offline Chris_

What the hell is "cultural appropriation"? 

Offline Lord Undies

I think it's talking about when we introduced Europe to toilet paper.

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.

<Digs up part of brain that remembers bullshit college terms>

Its when one culture takes part of another culture for their own gain.

It's like Eminem, but less silly. And violent.

*TKay*

Offline Lauri

well, here in the US, they are scaling back on gym time and at my younger daughters kindergarten.. they did not allow kids to run on the playground... chasing each other is also not allowed.

private schools beat public schools in this aspect hands down. they go outside twice a day (under a covered area cause it rains here so much) and they have gym time three times a week. and they are encouraged to run and throw balls and generally act their ages..

Offline jinxmchue

I remember when we first got cable.  The cable company gave us this box on top of the TV that had a slider switch for the channels.  Nutty!  I also remember that manipulating the slider just right could give you the sound and a somewhat viewable picture of "Cinemax."   :naughty: