Author Topic: Steak  (Read 15570 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Steak
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 07:42:02 PM »
Try a chuck eye.  It's the front-end of a ribeye and it has all that good marbling that makes ribeyes so tasty.  Plus, they're usually about half the price.

Darn but I LOVE the charred fat from a  beef or pork steak.

I cannot be that bad for us, for the years after I hit 10 years old until now, this is the 1/3 of a steak that has given the meat the flavor.

I learned to eat pork rinds in the south and bake using Lard.

I use a cast iron fry pan with ridges to cook steak. Salt and pepper, that's it.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 07:53:57 PM »

this is bait.

Offline debk

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 07:56:02 PM »
I honestly never knew how many people ate their steak rare/rarer/raw.  I don't recall ever seeing anyone being served steak that rare in any of our uppity restaurants in Charleston, but that may be because we are too busy eating critters off the sea floor (which strikes me as an even worse idea). :-)

Yes WE....you can get rare steak in downtown Charleston....82 Queen.

And those critters off the sea floor are pretty damn good down there too!!! Oysters and bloody Marys out on Shem Creek.... :drool:

Didn't realize you were in Charleston. It's one of my favorite places. Was over there 2 years ago this month....beautiful time of year to be there.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline debk

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 07:57:42 PM »

this is bait.

Remove the egg and it would be perfect. I don't like raw eggs in my steak tartare.  Makes it slimey...:puke:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 08:01:21 PM »
Remove the egg and it would be perfect. I don't like raw eggs in my steak tartare.  Makes it slimey...:puke:

babes, it died slimey.  jus' sayin' :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 08:03:12 PM »

Yes WE....you can get rare steak in downtown Charleston....82 Queen.

And those critters off the sea floor are pretty damn good down there too!!! Oysters and bloody Marys out on Shem Creek.... :drool:

Didn't realize you were in Charleston. It's one of my favorite places. Was over there 2 years ago this month....beautiful time of year to be there.

I have been to 82 queen many times.  they served me a whole cow every time.  cooked.  lightning was even shooting out of it's butt when they brought it to the table. :-)

Offline debk

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 08:04:10 PM »
babes, it died slimey.  jus' sayin' :-)

maybe so....but steak tartare is definitely not slimey.  :tongue:

Offline soleil

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 08:07:12 PM »

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 08:08:44 PM »
People eat that?  :o

exactly!  even before they shove it at your face in a drive through window!  can you imagine that? :-)

Offline soleil

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2010, 08:15:58 PM »
exactly!  even before they shove it at your face in a drive through window!  can you imagine that? :-)

And I am soooooo OCD about any raw meat. If I handle any kind of raw meat or eggs, I wash wash wash my hands and bleach my counters and sink!!  :rotf:

Offline debk

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 08:17:27 PM »
I have been to 82 queen many times.  they served me a whole cow every time.  cooked.  lightning was even shooting out of it's butt when they brought it to the table. :-)

:thatsright:

do you eat she-crab soup?  :drool:

Offline soleil

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 08:22:18 PM »

What exactly is she-crab soup? I was with a friend who ordered it and it looked yummy, but I didn't know what it was really.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2010, 08:25:28 PM »

absolutely not.  the "she" part is enticing.  but crabs are cured by topical cream.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2010, 08:26:24 PM »
What exactly is she-crab soup? I was with a friend who ordered it and it looked yummy, but I didn't know what it was really.

she-critters in a bowl.  trust me, you don't want to go there. :rotf:

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
People eat that?  :o

Indeed..

*that* actually looks pretty darn tasty.

Offline soleil

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »
she-critters in a bowl.  trust me, you don't want to go there. :rotf:

I wondered why it was called she-crab. I assumed it was female crab, but are they cooked? Surely they are. Is it the female parts in the soup? Please tell me no.

Offline debk

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2010, 08:30:21 PM »

It's wonderful!!  Female blue crab is used, so that the roe (eggs) may be added to the soup.

She Crab Soup Recipe - How To Make She Crab Soup

2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups half & half cream
4 teaspoons finely-grated onion
3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and white pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest (rind)
1 1/2 pounds flaked blue crab meat*
1/4 cup crab roe**
3 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh parsley leaves

* If you live in parts of the country where blue crab is not available, other types of crabmeat, such as Dungeness, snow, king, or rock crab, may be substituted.

rest of the recipe is here....http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chowder/SheCrabSoup.htm

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2010, 08:31:27 PM »
I wondered why it was called she-crab. I assumed it was female crab, but are they cooked? Surely they are. Is it the female parts in the soup? Please tell me no.

nope.  it is a bowl full of crap vaginas.  that is why it costs so much. :bolt:

Offline soleil

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2010, 08:40:57 PM »
It's wonderful!!  Female blue crab is used, so that the roe (eggs) may be added to the soup.

She Crab Soup Recipe - How To Make She Crab Soup

2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups half & half cream
4 teaspoons finely-grated onion
3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and white pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest (rind)
1 1/2 pounds flaked blue crab meat*
1/4 cup crab roe**
3 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh parsley leaves

* If you live in parts of the country where blue crab is not available, other types of crabmeat, such as Dungeness, snow, king, or rock crab, may be substituted.

rest of the recipe is here....http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chowder/SheCrabSoup.htm

Sounds yummy. I'd leave out the roe though. Does that make it just plain ole bisque?

Offline debk

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2010, 08:45:42 PM »
Sounds yummy. I'd leave out the roe though. Does that make it just plain ole bisque?

I don't like roe to just eat it by itself, however it is quite flavorful and adds to the flavor of the soup. Crab roe is not like caviar where it is little bubble-like things that may/may not "pop" in your mouth, it's fairly smooth. Many people will just pick it out of the crab and eat it....same with lobster roe.

I do like caviar, but I only like the "tiny" egg kind...black, red, orange or yellowish....but the big eggs....oh no!! Caviar is from fish, usually salmon. But all female fish have roe, just most of it isn't harvested and sold for ridiculous prices. 

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2010, 08:49:51 PM »
I don't like roe to just eat it by itself, however it is quite flavorful and adds to the flavor of the soup. Crab roe is not like caviar where it is little bubble-like things that may/may not "pop" in your mouth, it's fairly smooth. Many people will just pick it out of the crab and eat it....same with lobster roe.

I do like caviar, but I only like the "tiny" egg kind...black, red, orange or yellowish....but the big eggs....oh no!! Caviar is from fish, usually salmon. But all female fish have roe, just most of it isn't harvested and sold for ridiculous prices. 

for heaven's sake.  are you drawing a distinction between different kinds of fish eggs?  eggs come from hens.  anything else is unnatural. :-)

Offline soleil

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2010, 08:58:04 PM »

I've tried it a couple of times, but I felt like I was eating poppyseeds. They got stuck in my teeth. Ick. Plus I am not a fan of fish. I like shrimp, crab, and sometimes lobster, but I am not a fish person. I wish I were. It is so lean.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2010, 09:23:57 PM »
I eat the roe out of some of the reef fish I catch.

Crumbed and fried in a light garlic butter - but it's gotta be really fresh - same hour caught type of thing.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »
nope.  it is a bowl full of crap vaginas.  that is why it costs so much. :bolt:

I read this 15 minutes ago, and I have not stopped laughing!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2010, 12:12:41 AM »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson