Author Topic: Steak  (Read 15823 times)

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
Steak
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »
What is everyones favorite steak and how do yo like it cooked?
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Steak
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:08:48 PM »
Ribeye or chuck eye, medium rare.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 11:38:03 PM »

medium rare.

Offline debk

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 11:46:01 PM »
NY Strip or rib-eye.

Rare. Not medium rare. Rare.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 11:48:29 PM »
NY Strip or rib-eye.

Rare. Not medium rare. Rare.

holy diarrhea, debk!  rare?

Offline debk

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 11:57:56 PM »
holy diarrhea, debk!  rare?

Yep. And I absolutely love a good steak tartare. However, it's very difficult to find a restaurant that serves it anymore. Used to get it at a restaurant in Key West, but they shut down after Wilma went through in '05.

I've been eating raw hamburger for as long as I can remember. I can remember eating it when we lived in South Dakota when I was 5. I want it with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder....and a bit of worchestershire sauce...no raw egg - that's nasty.

Up until about 4-5 years ago, when I would buy hamburger (I only buy ground chuck), I would buy an extra quarter pound because I would eat it before it went in the pan. Now I worry too much if it's contaminated or not, because most groceries around here don't grind it themselves...it comes in already ground up and they just repackage it.  :bawl:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 12:03:29 AM »
Yep. And I absolutely love a good steak tartare. However, it's very difficult to find a restaurant that serves it anymore. Used to get it at a restaurant in Key West, but they shut down after Wilma went through in '05.

I've been eating raw hamburger for as long as I can remember. I can remember eating it when we lived in South Dakota when I was 5. I want it with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder....and a bit of worchestershire sauce...no raw egg - that's nasty.

Up until about 4-5 years ago, when I would buy hamburger (I only buy ground chuck), I would buy an extra quarter pound because I would eat it before it went in the pan. Now I worry too much if it's contaminated or not, because most groceries around here don't grind it themselves...it comes in already ground up and they just repackage it.  :bawl:

raw meat . . . holy crap.  you eat raw meat.  is any of it living? :-)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 12:22:40 AM »
As I was cutting up the meat for the Eisenhower Stew, I snipped off a few bites of the top sirloin chunk that was purchased. Nothing finer than raw meat. I prefer my steaks rare, too.  I, too, grew up eating raw hamburger. Us Texans have a saying, "Knock its horns off and wipe its ass as it goes down."
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 12:24:36 AM »
I am surrounded by carnivores! :tongue:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 12:32:50 AM »
I am surrounded by carnivores! :tongue:

YEP!! Wanna come over for dinner ??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 12:34:53 AM »
YEP!! Wanna come over for dinner ??

absolutely.  I will bring fire, though. :fuelfire: :-)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 05:21:03 AM »
absolutely.  I will bring fire, though. :fuelfire: :-)

Never mind the fire just make sure to remember booze.

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 06:10:24 AM »
Ribeye...   rare... fresh-ground pepper before grilling, salt after...

If it don't moo when 'ya poke it with a fork, 'ya cooked it  too long!!!

:drool:    :drool:     :drool:     :drool:
Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 06:14:16 AM »
See WE?? Even a coonass knows how to eat a steak!!  :fuelfire: :tongue:

I remember while at a Judo training camp, getting ready for the Nationals, (1984) I went over to the commissary and got a package of raw meat & some garlic. Seasoned it up and chowed down :yum:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:16:31 AM by Thor »

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 07:26:10 AM »
Ribeye or NY Strip.  Rare. I wanna hear that cow moo!  I like the blood to be warmed and the sides to be seared.  Little bit of salt and pepper, and we are good to go.  When I want to be fancy I will make some blue cheese butter to put on the steak as soon as it leaves the grill.  But that is only for a second-rate steak.  When I go to the butcher, nothing touches those beauties. 

I love Steak Tartare too.  Haven't had it since I was in Belgium.  Won't eat raw hamburger from the grocery, but I will from the butcher. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 09:55:58 AM »
Porterhouse medium-rare
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 11:31:51 AM »
Steak au poivre.

(Tenderloin of beef, about 2 inches thick, encrusted with crushed black peppercorns, seared in a hot pan with a butter/EVOO mixture till it's about rare or a bit more (I like a hot pink center), remove the steaks, deglaze with cognac, ignite, add heavy cream and cook till it coats the back of a spoon. Add a bit more cognac at the end, stir, add the steaks back in the pan with the juices, and serve.)

Ain't nothin' finer in this world, except for boobiez, of course.  :-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 11:49:08 AM »
Steak au poivre.

(Tenderloin of beef, about 2 inches thick, encrusted with crushed black peppercorns, seared in a hot pan with a butter/EVOO mixture till it's about rare or a bit more (I like a hot pink center), remove the steaks, deglaze with cognac, ignite, add heavy cream and cook till it coats the back of a spoon. Add a bit more cognac at the end, stir, add the steaks back in the pan with the juices, and serve.)

My favorite meal in the world.  Had it in Brussels.  Moule au Gratin, followed by Steak au Poivre de vert.  With some pommes frites and some lovely Belgian Ale.  More than 10 years ago, and I haven't forgotten it yet. 

Have yet to master cooking a steak on the stove yet.  :(
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 11:50:29 AM »
Steak au poivre.

I love steak au poivre!! Rare, with some garlic sauteed fresh spinach, romaine lettuce with balsamic vinegrette and crumbled bleu cheese.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 01:27:23 PM »
Steak au poivre.

EVOO?!?!?!?!?  OK, Rachel.........  ::)   :fuelfire:

Like I said in another thread, if one needs a "sauce" on their beef, then it ain't worth eatin'.......

Offline thundley4

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
EVOO?!?!?!?!?  OK, Rachel.........  ::)   :fuelfire:

Like I said in another thread, if one needs a "sauce" on their beef, then it ain't worth eatin'.......

Salt and pepper is about all I put on ribeyes and T-bones.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 03:31:13 PM »
EVOO?!?!?!?!?  OK, Rachel.........  ::)   :fuelfire:

Don't knock it till you try it, champ. It's a different taste sensation altogether.

Even Texans can get culturefied once in awhile.  :tongue:    :lmao:  

The EVOO thing - well, you could use 30-weight, but that's a little heavy, even for Rachael. (Butter burns at higher temps, you lunkhead, so if you don't like EVOO, getcher self some Pennzoil.)  :rotf:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 03:37:08 PM »
See WE?? Even a coonass knows how to eat a steak!!  :fuelfire: :tongue:

I remember while at a Judo training camp, getting ready for the Nationals, (1984) I went over to the commissary and got a package of raw meat & some garlic. Seasoned it up and chowed down :yum:

I honestly never knew how many people ate their steak rare/rarer/raw.  I don't recall ever seeing anyone being served steak that rare in any of our uppity restaurants in Charleston, but that may be because we are too busy eating critters off the sea floor (which strikes me as an even worse idea). :-)

Offline soleil

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 06:48:08 PM »
I am a T-Bone fan, just for that yummy tender side of the steak. Mmmm! But, people will probably think I am crazy, I wany my steak DONE. I don't like it rare or medium rare. The texture seems mushy to me.

I also love a ribeye. A filet is good, but I prefer to have some fat in my steaks for the flavor it gives. Not a strip fan.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 06:54:27 PM »
I also love a ribeye. A filet is good, but I prefer to have some fat in my steaks for the flavor it gives. Not a strip fan.

Try a chuck eye.  It's the front-end of a ribeye and it has all that good marbling that makes ribeyes so tasty.  Plus, they're usually about half the price.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.