Author Topic: Another cooking "haunting" to report.  (Read 2773 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Another cooking "haunting" to report.
« on: January 10, 2008, 02:36:19 PM »
PinkTiger  (1000+ posts)       Wed Jan-09-08 12:57 AM
Original message
Another cooking "haunting" to report.
 Many of you may remember i have talked in the past about my empathic abilities, which are limited but interesting to me, at least, and my cooking with dead chefs. The way it works is, when I go to a new city or country, and start wondering how their food is cooked, I am visited and followed home by chefs who work with me in the kitchen until I get it right. I am often amazed by this - and a little piqued, too, because when the chef fades, the cooking does, too, just a little.

I had another visitation, a very interesting one - over Christmas I wanted to make my mother-in-law's bread recipe; I never really knew her - she died two years before i met my husband - but I found her recipe in a box of photos, and decided to make it this Christmas. I felt she was there, all the way, working with me on the bread, which turned out very well. Now, another thing - when I was a teenager, my first job was a waitressing position at a small local cafe. I worked there for four summers, and loved to sit in the kitchen with the cook/owner, Carl, and talk about life. He would be fixing stuff and I would be talking. Two things he made, I would love to be able to make well. One I can - the garlic toast - that was simple. But the Coleslaw recipe, which was a trade secret, he kept under wraps. Last week, after a long battle with Alzheimer's Disease, Carl passed away. Last night he told me to make coleslaw, and I did, and in my kitchen, as he told me what to put in it, I marveled at its simplicity and said "of course! I should have known, I saw you make this so many times."
He laughed and told me I was never paying attention.
"You were too busy flapping your jaws!"

But he swore me to secrecy on the recipe. Sorry.

I just love it.

link

There is obviously something missing from our 'all things edible forum' perhaps Flippy Doo could be persuaded to branch out into recipes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 02:42:50 PM by bijou »

Offline vftb

Re: Another cooking "haunting" to report.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:39:06 PM »
I want some of what she's drinking  :o :beer:
To err is human, to really **** things up you need a computer

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 02:43:18 PM »
Someone should tell Pink Tiger the bourbon is for the cake. :mental:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 03:57:01 PM »
I'll take a snort of that too. Must be some good stuff.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 04:10:48 PM »
Her screen name needs to be "ChasingTheTiger"
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline FlippyDoo

• Oh NO!!!!! It's a rebel windmill!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 06:57:01 PM »
Coleslaw, eh? As in a dish made with cabbage?

Special Agent Cab Badge goes behind enemy lines once more. I'll have to ask him how he made the DUmmie hallucinate the chefs.
Fictional spirit-guiding by appointment.
conservativecave.com & conservativeunderground.com

For new members and lurkers: I am a fictional spirit-guide with no smell whatsoever. I am part irish setter and part pigeon. If you don't smell any strange smells it means I'm probably standing next to you. As I am a fictional character anything I post should possibly be considered fictional.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 07:09:20 PM »
I hope she has a tall stool for when Julia Child visits.  She will need heavy cream, too.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 03:15:30 AM »
Coleslaw, eh? As in a dish made with cabbage?

Special Agent Cab Badge goes behind enemy lines once more. I'll have to ask him how he made the DUmmie hallucinate the chefs.
OMG I didn't spot that... I hope I haven't blown his cover.  :(