Author Topic: When life hands you lemons....  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
When life hands you lemons....
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:05:28 PM »
make some speakers.

I have a pair of 1986 Apogee Duetta II speakers. These were, at the time, considered near "state of the art". I bought mine in 2004 and had one speaker "bass" panel replaced. I should have done the other, but it looked OK at the time.
Well, about 8-9 months ago one speaker bass panel quit working. Looking at it I discovered that it had developed cracks in the aluminum facing of the panel. Because it carries the electrical signal and was now open...it was "dead".  The dark spots are where I tried a repair, but it dident work:

These panels can be replaced, but it's about $3000.00 to get them done. Right now, that's not going to happen.
So, what to do? Well Apogee realized that their full ribbon speakers were expensive, ranging upwards of 8K in 1986, so they made hybrid models at lower cost. One was the Centaur Major. It used a ribbon midrange/tweeter and than a conventional 10" woofer in a sealed box.
 Now I have some 10" woofers designed for a sealed enclosure laying around from my speaker building days, so wth, why not build my own?

The cabinets:

Painted:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: When life hands you lemons....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »
Now I have them in place to test how well they integrate with the ribbon MR/T.  I set them in front of the existing Apogees, but left the woofers unhooked up, and ran cables to the woofers.

They actually sound pretty good, so now I'm going to continue on with the next phase.

I decided to use some Ipe to make panels to mount the MR/T's in.
Here's what I've got so far:

I'll post as I finish up these babies.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.