Author Topic: What is your religion?  (Read 29505 times)

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Re: What is your religion?
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 03:45:59 PM »
What's wrong with Asatru??  :fuelfire:  :-)

Nothing really....I just thought their "prayer wheels" were cool......plus I can identify with a fat, bald guy......

:lmao:

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 03:49:20 PM »
Nothing really....I just thought their "prayer wheels" were cool......plus I can identify with a fat, bald guy......

doc

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 06:16:13 PM »

doc

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 07:59:27 AM »

doc

So, if you had to convert from Christianity into another faith, what would you choose and why beside the old fat bald man.?

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »
So, if you had to convert from Christianity into another faith, what would you choose and why beside the old fat bald man.?

My quip about Buddhism was an admittedly snide attempt to avoid MrsSmith lugging her 600-pound cross (adorned by her husband) into every religious thread that I hazard a post in........which gets old and tiresome, especially since I'm the moderator in these forums, and part of the job is to stimulate discussion and debate on such topics.  I suppose that my main complaint is that for someone that is so conversant in the "truth" in Christianity, she rarely (spelled never) actually starts a thread in here........just jumps in to disagree with everyone else that does.

That said......to answer your question (as well as soliel's), I actually wrote a brief dissertation on this subject, in the OP here:

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,42336.0.html

The bottom line being that I could never see myself being anything other than a Christian, however of the "Gnostic" variety........my problems have never been with the teachings of, or my relationship with Christ.......my problem is with the "Church", and what it has morphed into over the centuries. 

In my further opinion, the "Church" as we see it today is the result of two factors:  First, the Council of Nicaea was, most certainly,  a "political" rather than a spiritual gathering, having absolutely nothing to do with imparting "Divine inspiration" to the Canon, and further, that IMO, the Apostle Paul was likely the most talented huckster and con man of his age..........were he to be alive today, he would be a television evangelist........

:fuelfire:

doc

"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 12:32:03 PM »
Christian.  I'm currently a member of a local Baptist Church, but if push came to shove I'd be classified as non-denominational.  I cannot get comfortable with all of the denominational added dogma and I fall back on the Bible it'self.  The local, has some good study classes and that's why I'm there.  I believe that through Christ we are saved.
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 12:44:55 PM »

Judaism.

Had Jewish friends growing up and attended Temple with them, and spent a summer in college working at a private camp in Maine, for Jewish girls. Mandatory attendance to Friday night services, for the counselors, regardless of our religion. RB is Jewish and my son has a Jewish godfather.

While there is the obvious difference between Catholic and Jewish, of Jesus Christ being the Savior as opposed to Prophet...there is a great deal of similarity in the two. Faith, family, goodness and kindness, adherence to the laws of God....are common in both. I like the ritualism of both religions. The inherent faith that God will hear the prayers of the petitioner.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2010, 12:52:55 PM »
Baptized Methodist, husband is Lutheran. Married Lutheran and my kids were baptized Lutheran.  I am Lutheran now.   

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 12:22:08 PM »
Born, baptized, raised, confirmed and married in Presbyterian church so I'm already pre-destined for a fiery afterlife (or not); add Conservative to that as the double-down!  :evillaugh:

Husband is Catholic but is not active.  Our son was baptized Presbyterian but has mostly participated in non-denominational Christian activities until this year.  He is now attending a Catholic high school and is having some difficulties in his Religion class, being able to expound on Catholic theology, etc. to the nun who teaches it.  He's trying his best -- all I can ask.

Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline unbiased

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 01:54:14 PM »
I attend a Vineyard Church.  It is pretty much non-denominational.  It was started by surfers in Cali who weren't welcomed into other churches because of their appearance.  So they formed their own church that welcome people to come as they are and just worship God.  The worship band has electric guitars and banging drums.  Our preacher dresses casual and you really can come as you are.  I was raised Presbyterian, but I didn't like having to be quiet.  Some who attend my church may relate it to a Pentacostal Church because of the loud singing and praising.  It works for me, though, because I grew up on loud music (80's hair bands) and I love to sing and dance.   

I live in Ohio and I don't know why, but there are more Vineyard Churches in Ohio than anywhere in the US.
Once you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy.

Offline foghorn

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 06:18:56 PM »
Was raised Catholic.  Learned the Mass in Latin and Gaelic.  Remember them both, but the last two popes turned me off to the Church.  Now, no religion whatsoever.

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 06:29:50 PM »
Methodist. Mom is a German Lutheran though, so I grew up in both Churches.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Habsfan

• The Conservative Canadian
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2010, 07:16:54 PM »
Was catholic.

Gave it all up and just became a Christian.

Offline foghorn

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 07:19:57 PM »
Was catholic.

Gave it all up and just became a Christian.

Haters gonna hate.

Offline Habsfan

• The Conservative Canadian
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »
Haters gonna hate.
Who's a hater? Not me.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 08:35:55 PM »
My religion is love of (most) humankind, and all animals.
Seriously, I was raised Missouri Synod Lutheran, which isn't your kinder gentler Lutheranism, or wasn't 35 years ago.
Married a Mexican-American ex-Catholic manchild who had converted to Judaism at age 19 and got circumcised at that point. :thatsright:  Talk about religious extremism.
I was 3 weeks older than 20 when we married, with my parents yelling and crying about him going to hell and taking me with him, his parents thinking I was gonna reconvert him to Christianity if not Catholicism, and right after the marriage HIM deciding me staying Lutheran wasn't gonna work-I needed to convert to Judaism.
Oh yeah, and my pastor wouldn't marry us and his rabbi also refused, so we got married by a nice Methodist or Baptist Air Force chaplain (he'd become a 2LT earlier that year). I was almost finished with ROTC at my college, a Catholic university in San Antonio.
Married on December 23rd-hubby insists on having the Christmas array draped in a white sheet-his mom and mine spent the wedding boohooing, and NOT in a happy way.

We got divorced within two years because he decided he wanted an open marriage and I decided I wanted a faithful hubby.  Plus he was plain crazy, and that's all I'm going to say, except I ALMOST was murdered by him at age 22.

I'm not anything these days, nor are my husband or children.  We try to live good lives and not judge others for what they believe.  But when people go crazy fanatical and kill others in the name of their religion, those people need to be taken out and shot, period.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline true_blood

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2010, 08:38:23 PM »
I am a cradle to grave Catholic -- like pretty much 80% of the MA population. 
BINGO! Same for me. :cheersmate:

Offline BowTied

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2010, 07:27:30 AM »
Hardcore old school Roman Catholic, totally adherent to Biblical principle and the magisterial teaching of the Church.

Offline Blanche

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 09:05:25 PM »
From birth, Church of the Brethren, then a Congregational Church. Confirmed Congregationalist. Attended a local Methodist church for awhile. Have attended a mega-Christian church that is from Baptist roots. Don't attend a church at the moment. Joined a Read the Bible in a Year group on Facebook last January and have kept up. Almost done! That is one accomplishment I always wanted to complete.
My favorite pastor was George Whitefield (1714 - 1770).
My favorite church was my childhood Church of the Brethren.
I am basically a Christian Protestant.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:19:42 PM by Blanche »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2010, 01:39:33 AM »
I've decided that I'm changing my religion to Asatru.....  :tongue:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline cavegal

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2010, 01:48:43 AM »
I've decided that I'm changing my religion to Asatru.....  :tongue:
I'm going to hate myself in the morning but here goes... What is Asatru.... :tongue:

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2010, 03:44:51 AM »
I'm a don't-give-a-stuff-lets-go-fishing-ian.  :-)

Offline soleil

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2010, 08:34:39 PM »
I am glad I asked this question. It just proves how wrong people at DU are. The whole all rightwingers are all crazy evangelical fundies....

I didn't ask for that reason btw. I asked because I wanted to know. I always find it interesting to see what others believe. Not so I can ridicule them and tell them how wrong they are. I know what I believe. I know what I think is true. Others see it differently. I pass on what I want people to know as far as what I believe. What they do with that information is up to them, and I don't and will not judge them for it.

Offline Blanche

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2010, 09:40:03 PM »
Great ammunition for attacks from atheists as well as reason to believe, can be found in this witty satire:

The Loser Letters: A Comic Tale of Life, Death and Atheism by Mary Eberstadt

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2010, 12:44:55 AM »
I'm going to hate myself in the morning but here goes... What is Asatru.... :tongue:

Yes, you will.......

http://www.erichshall.com/asanew/newtotru.htm