Author Topic: What is your religion?  (Read 29052 times)

Offline Hawk

• Just Off Probation
Re: What is your religion?
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2011, 02:24:16 PM »
Okay, this is getting funny now. I am trying to have civil discussions on this board, but you guys are so convinced that I am trolling, that you are now trolling yourselves.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2011, 02:31:13 PM »
So belittling religion (utter waste of time and energy) while throwing out anti-Christian/pro-Islam comments ISN'T trolling?

What would you call it?
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline CG6468

« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
So belittling religion (utter waste of time and energy) while throwing out anti-Christian/pro-Islam comments ISN'T trolling?

What would you call it?

Bottom feeding?
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Hawk

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2011, 02:50:20 PM »

What would you call it?

Islam is a religion, is it not? Therefore I hold it in the same regard as any other. I have made no pro-Islam comments other than from a common sense stance that a handful of extremists have cause so many to hate every single person who may be a Muslim.

Offline Hawk

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2011, 02:55:01 PM »
I find that interesting, since you are from the very cult site that organized a troll attack against us last week.
principlediscordia and eris bar and grill. Are you denying worship of eris? Or is you merely a proponent of anarchy hiding behind a false house of worship?

Sorry I missed this. Cult? Anarchists? I have already discussed Eris ITT.

Are you personally responsible for what the other members of this board do? Also, although several member cross post between PD and EB&G, the latter was not a part of what happened here last week.

I can assure you that neither site is a cult or anarchists. Quite the opposite in fact.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2011, 05:09:13 PM »
Charley Brown
Unidentified Flaming Asshat
Deserved It

Re: The Spiritual Crossroads.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 09:31:40 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I look forward to trolling your asses.

Charley Brown
Unidentified Flaming Asshat
Deserved It

Re: Turns out Al-Qaeda are into 2012 as well
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 01:27:55 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't that just piss the Christians off if Islam got it right? 

I'm cheering for them. I haven't had a decent purging since my last colonoscopy. 

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »
h5

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2011, 06:28:59 AM »
Hahahaha. I enjoy discussing religion.
Translation: I enjoy belittling the beliefs of others. I do not embrace diversity.

Offline Hawk

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2011, 11:59:40 AM »

You can do better than that. I have several thousand posts at PD and at the Bar, and at MW and countless other posts at countless other forums. Go dig up DiseasedMind at PoliticalForums. Look in the religious section.

I have not denied trolling, what I have said is that I am not here to troll, reading comprehension 101.

Now, since this all seems to be about me now, where do I go to try and have reasonable conversations about religion?

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2011, 12:30:38 PM »
You can do better than that. I have several thousand posts at PD and at the Bar, and at MW and countless other posts at countless other forums. Go dig up DiseasedMind at PoliticalForums. Look in the religious section.

I have not denied trolling, what I have said is that I am not here to troll, reading comprehension 101.

Now, since this all seems to be about me now, where do I go to try and have reasonable conversations about religion?

It might be a good start (and get this thread back on topic, and prevent me from locking it) if you actually described your religious beliefs. I've studied religions (as an academic amateur) for over 30 years....all over the world, and frankly, I've never heard of Discordia......perhaps, you might enlighten us.

Our members have quite an array of religious leanings, ranging form atheists, agnostics, nihilists, to Jews, Christians, Buddhists etc.

I'd be cautious about drawing parallels between Islam, and the other "Great Religions".......I know quite a bit about Islam, having lived under Sharia in an Islamic country for several years, and studied the Koran, and Islamic history under scholars in its Mosques (in it's original Arabic).  

Broad-brush, and patiently untrue statements such as comparing atrocities and deaths promulgated under religions, to nonreligious (Atheist) genocides committed by the likes of Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, etc., will likely result in ridicule here..

Failing that, you are free to start a new thread in this forum on any religious topic you choose to address.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Hawk

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2011, 12:55:17 PM »
New thread started. As far as Discordia, I will start a thread about that as well, just remember that no two Discordians view it the same way.

Offline orphy

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2011, 06:03:14 PM »
New here, I'm Roman Catholic

Offline Habsfan

• The Conservative Canadian
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2011, 08:24:49 PM »
New here, I'm Roman Catholic

Born into Catholicism (had no choice)...Born-again Christian.... :panic:

Offline Erasmus

• Holla ifju thank im seeeeexy!
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2011, 09:30:22 AM »
Christian Protestant of no particular branding.  I listen to a wide variety of preachers.

Offline PatrickMahoney

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2011, 05:20:42 PM »
Grew up catholic & even raised my 4 kids in the church w/ total respect & love for the Jewish religion. 

These days not really practicing, but focusing on jesus' teaching of peace and kindness & also learning Tibetan Buddhism to make myself a better person.

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2011, 05:39:46 PM »
Really just curious where everyone falls religion-wise assuming that you belong to a religion.

I was baptized as a baby in the Episcopal church. I got married in the Episcopal church (boy do you have to jump through some hoops to do that  :p , but a couple of years ago my husband and I converted to Methodist. I really enjoy the Methodist church. I feel quite comfortable there. It isn't too different (ceremony-wise) than the Episcopal church I went to. We baptized our baby girl in the Methodist church.

Lutheran.  I was baptized in the ELCA as a baby.  Looking into LCMS.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2011, 04:03:38 PM »
Lutheran.  I was baptized in the ELCA as a baby.  Looking into LCMS.

Missouri Synod is what I was raised in.  Very conservative, Bible based teaching.  I've (jokingly) referred to it as Southern Baptist on steroids. :)
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »
Missouri Synod is what I was raised in.  Very conservative, Bible based teaching.  I've (jokingly) referred to it as Southern Baptist on steroids. :)

God help you.  I was raised SB.  I can't even imagine.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2011, 12:42:56 AM »
Bounced around a lot as a child. Went to a private conservative high school that was connected to an indpendent Baptist church, but the school was nondenominational.

My parents joined a Missouri Synod Lutheran church, the ones I knew of in my area were not all that Bible based. Lots of money go to the Synod. Joined a Methodist Church in IL and was active in many ministries there, most of them were youth programs in which I was a youth leader. It was a small town of 6,500 with over 20 churches...it was a huge rural farming community with a lot of small towns bordering.

When I moved to Nevada it took some church shopping. But I finally locked in and joined a non denominational Bible based Christian church. The Methodist church here was much different and the youngest person was about 130 years old... :rotf:

I've just been a member for a few weeks and have found myself fairly active. I'm speaking in a couple weeks.

My focus continues to be on young people and eventually the entire family is there. If I can just keep one young person from making the same mistakes I made as a young adult, it's all worthwhile to me.

It's amazing in which ways God uses me.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »
Was baptized Mormon because they took me to church with them every Sunday and no one else ever did. I went for a few years but it wasn't my cup of tea. I just couldn't hang my hat around Jesus hanging with some lost tribe over here. However, since I'd almost never been to church before that I've always been grateful for giving me an introduction to Jesus.

We used to go to Disciples of Christ when my kids were small but they're a bit too liberal for me. The one thing I did like was the Communion every Sunday that was open to everyone because they truly believed Jesus meant do this "whenever two or more are gathered in my name". I appreciate that Catholics do it every Sunday and the Mexican half of my family are all Catholics but in my own beliefs I don't feel Jesus doesn't expect people to take a class before they're eligible and I wouldn't feel right taking Communion there and violating the tenets of their faith.

I go to a garden variety Christian Church right now that I love. It has a very strong women's ministry and since my children are grown and my husband works Sunday it's nice to have that kind of support. Plus I have misgivings about a more liberal church that allows women to be pastors ever since my sister pointed out to me (can't remember the passage right now but it's in the NT) that women shouldn't even be elders.

If I could find a church that does Communion more than once a month I'd probably go a few times to see if it was a good fit. In the meantime I'm in a wonderful place.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline ollie

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »
Fallen away Lutheran....Started being disenchanted with religion when as a kid we were asked to put money on both sides of an offering envelope. One side for missionary work, one side for the physical church. I never put money in the missionary side. One day my pastor (whom i liked a lot, by the way).asked me why I never put money in the missionary side. I told him that while I would support our own church, I would not condone forcing our religion on someone else ( I was around 11 at the time). It has gone down hill from there.

I married a Catholic in a Catholic church and raised three Catholic kids, none of whom practice their original faith today. Which is fine with me. I wanted religion to bring a sense of morality to their upbringing. For myself, I have my own Golden Rule. 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Not sure if its the exact wording. But they way I wrote it, is what i mean. It usually works too.

I don't believe in organized religion anymore. It appears to be more of a reason for strife in this world than the original intent of of peace, love and harmony with one's fellow human beings.

Offline Varokhâr

• Tea Party hearty, dude!
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2011, 09:04:11 AM »
After many months of soul-searching and being honest with myself, I've returned to Deism. I just could not live with the doubts and problems I've had with Christianity (Catholic or otherwise). Trying to be dishonest with myself is flippin' unbearable.

Heathenry is also near and dear to me, but it's more in terms of secular values and mores than theology. I can almost rationalize Heathen gods coexisting with a Grand Architect of the Universe - almost. Calling me a "Heathen Deist" ain't too far off the mark.

Deist. Libertarian. Patriot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ